Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22 suppresser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-suppresser-94809/)

Jesse80 08-01-2013 04:39 PM

.22 suppresser

There are tons of suppressers on the market know, but does anyone have any experience they would like to share on a certain type.
I was looking at a threaded PAC-LITE 22/45 upper for my Ruger the other day. Anyone have one I could hear about?

purehavoc 08-01-2013 04:55 PM

get one that can be taken apart so you can clean it , it will get pretty nasty shooting .22lr thru it

msup752 08-01-2013 04:59 PM

Silencer suppressor? Not a flash suppressor?

I have a Silencerco Sparrow. It has a noticeable first round pop on pistols but none on rifles. It is easy to disassemble and is a bit more expensive.

Second place is SWR Spectre II. It is slightly longer and heavier but does not have the first round pop.

There are a ton of good choices. Just pick stainless or titanium. Aluminum can be damaged with some cleaning techniques.

JonM 08-01-2013 09:56 PM

unless a suppressor is using a wipe type system they all have first round pop regardless of brand.

first round pop is the rapid expansion of hot gasses in the oxygen rich suppressor after the first couple of rounds they quiet down a bit. if you wait a bit between shots air will get back into the suppressor and they get a little teeny bit louder. like the first shot was.

to get around that some folks put wire pulling gel or water in the suppressor.

i dont bother with it since its not really that noticable.

i would recomend the silencerco sparrow ss. small light works great on a ruger mk3

Jesse80 08-02-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msup752
Silencer suppressor? Not a flash suppressor?

I have a Silencerco Sparrow. It has a noticeable first round pop on pistols but none on rifles. It is easy to disassemble and is a bit more expensive.

Second place is SWR Spectre II. It is slightly longer and heavier but does not have the first round pop.

There are a ton of good choices. Just pick stainless or titanium. Aluminum can be damaged with some cleaning techniques.

That's a good point. I was looking at titanium. Although they are a bit more money, seems like life time would be considerably longer.

Jesse80 08-02-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
unless a suppressor is using a wipe type system they all have first round pop regardless of brand.

first round pop is the rapid expansion of hot gasses in the oxygen rich suppressor after the first couple of rounds they quiet down a bit. if you wait a bit between shots air will get back into the suppressor and they get a little teeny bit louder. like the first shot was.

to get around that some folks put wire pulling gel or water in the suppressor.

i dont bother with it since its not really that noticable.

i would recomend the silencerco sparrow ss. small light works great on a ruger mk3

Silencerco Sparrow ss, I'll have to search it out. You know pricing on them?

JonM 08-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse80 (Post 1323616)
Silencerco Sparrow ss, I'll have to search it out. You know pricing on them?

Not current pricing. But you can buy online and have it shipped to a local sot ffl just like buying any other ffl item online

jetspeed8 08-02-2013 07:44 PM

Take a look at the Thompson Machine Isis-22. I use their Suppressors on all my weapons.

JTJ 08-02-2013 08:02 PM

There is a very long time between application and receiving your $200 tax stamp to make it legal.

msup752 08-02-2013 08:52 PM

My nearest SOT gun shop had the Sparrow at $450 and the Spectre was $375. Add $200 for the tax stamp and 6-9 months of waiting. Check the Silencer Shop for lower prices if you have a dealer who will handle the transfer.
I am working on my rifle caliber can. I ordered it from Silencer Shop in march. It arrived at my local dealer in late may and the tax money went out in June. I won't get the stamp back until January at the earliest. But it is well worth it.