Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 short-long and long rifle ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
ERD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 22 short-long and long rifle ???

I inherited a rifle from my Dad and wanted to know more about it. Unfortuneatly, it does not have any type of brand name, or any kind of identification except the term ".22 short-long and long rifle" It is a bolt action single shot rifle.

There is no brand or number anywhere on it. The stock was hand made. all I know about it is that my grandmother used it for rabbits whem she was a child. She was born in the early nineteen thirties. My Dad used it as a kid and even I used it too as a child to shoot cans.

I dont have pictures unfortunately but i was hoping someone could tell me about the legality of having this rifle. Im moving to Canada soon and i dont want to have to give it up or leave it behind if I cant prove its origin.
I would like to take it to Canada with me. Its a fine piece of heritage and history for my family and I would love to pass it on to my boys.

Last edited by ERD; 09-30-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #2

That's a single shot hunting rifle. You should have no problem at all with it legally. The anti-gun idiots wish all rifles were like that !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Erd- until the 1968 Gun Control Act, there was no legal requirement to serially number rifles and shotguns. You may have a "Hardware Store" gun. Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery wards had guns made by others marked with their brands- but a lot of other places sold "generic" 22s. There are things you need to do to export a firearm- even a single shot 22- to Canada- both US things and Canadian things. while it is tempting to say just take it apart, and pack in your household goods, and keep yer mouth shut, the jack booted thugs can treat a .22 rifle as if it were at 10 kt nuclear weapon.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Best thing to do is to contact Canada. We here at FTF didn't go to law school and we defiantly didn't go to Canadian Law school....

BSF5044 - Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

If you need more information about Canada's firearms laws, a specific firearm, weapon, device and/or applicable fees, contact the Canada Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All I can tell you is have all the paper work in order long before you try to cross the boarder. This will save you from one giant headache.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
ERD

Default Thanks!

Wow thanks for all the information! I was worried that I would not be able to take the rifle to Canada. Its special to me. I dont have any papers though, no proof of where its been or who owned it. I hope that doesnt cause any trouble :P

But thanks again for the information! Ill get on that right away!

Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
ET1

My dad bought me a .22 rifle from Western Auto when I was 12. Paid $39.99 for it. There were cheaper 22's on the rack but mine was a 7 shot mag fed with chrome bolt, trigger & trigger guard. Either the 22 or my 16 gauge Iver Johnson was on my sholder every weekend when we went camping in the woods next to my house (1000+ acres). No seriel #s either. Had to threaten Western Auto with mayhem if they wouldn't tell me who made it. Finally found out it was a Marlin 780 renamed Revelation.

It's a shame you can't find out where your grandfather/grandmother bought the rifle. My rifle is labeled short/long/long rifle also. I don't remember anything else being available back then (1960's)...at least not in the sleepy little town I was raised in. You might be able to search the internet to find out who made it, or better yet, post a picture of the rifle on different forums. Somebody out there has a gun exactly like yours and knows what it is. Then again, if it was hand made using a barrel & action from another gun or two you might be out of luck.

Last edited by ET1; 10-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Erd- until the 1968 Gun Control Act, there was no legal requirement to serially number rifles and shotguns. You may have a "Hardware Store" gun. Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery wards had guns made by others marked with their brands- but a lot of other places sold "generic" 22s. There are things you need to do to export a firearm- even a single shot 22- to Canada- both US things and Canadian things. while it is tempting to say just take it apart, and pack in your household goods, and keep yer mouth shut, the jack booted thugs can treat a .22 rifle as if it were at 10 kt nuclear weapon.
True about the hardware store guns. My buddy has a 30-30 made by Sears and Roebuck. He bought his in Virginia about 25 years ago. I believe he's got the last of the Sears guns ever made. It's a carbine lever action and it's small and kicks like an SOB! I rather shoot a Marlin Lever in 444 or 45-70, this rifle is just too small to be chambered in 30-30 !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .