Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 Semi-Auto over Bolt Action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I own both and enjoy shooting both. I like my 10/22 as much as I like my Savage MK II-FVT bolt rifle.

Both have their place and both fit the needs of my shooting.

I have the TSR200 Aperture Sight setup on my 10/22 along with using both the 10 round and high capacity (25 round) magazines for this rifle. This is my all around relaxation rifle for shooting when I don't have to be perfect - or near perfect. Though I would use it in any competition where speed was/is required.

My Savage MK II-FVT is setup with a 20 MOA Base, 6-24x42 Mil-Dot Scope, Sling & Bipod. This is my rifle for when I have to be perfect or near perfect and I'm not under the clock for any reason when shooting. I also enjoy shooting out to 200 yards with this rifle, and sometimes out to 250 & 275 yards. I find it relaxing as well, and if circumstances dictated I'd use it in a competition if I needed it.

What it really comes down to is what you want, and what you feel you may be using this new rifle for, now - or in the future.

Perhaps basing your pick on what the CMP .22 Rimfire Competitions offer, as well as the Appleseed Project is not a bad idea when trying to decide?

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Last edited by Joe M; 12-13-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was hoping a few who own and shoot both regularly would chime in and you own two of the models I've been reading up on Joe

I think I'm leaning towards a bolt action and the Savage MK II and the Marlin 925 both seem to fit the bill, anyone else have an opinion on either to share?

There's also the Mossberg 802 Plinkster, anyone here own one? good, bad?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was hoping a few who own and shoot both regularly would chime in and you own two of the models I've been reading up on Joe

I think I'm leaning towards a bolt action and the Savage MK II and the Marlin 925 both seem to fit the bill, anyone else have an opinion on either to share?

There's also the Mossberg 802 Plinkster, anyone here own one? good, bad?
Just a little food for thought.

I was going to get the Marlin 925 for my son but I could not find a 20 MOA Scope Base for this rifle. EGW has 20 MOA Scope Bases for the Savage MK II... Using a 20 MOA Scope Base will allow you to extend your range out to and beyond 200 yards if your shooting should lead you in that direction someday.

Otherwise, I think the Marlin 925 is a great rifle and has a very good feel to it. I also bet it's one accurate rifle as well!

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 12-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #14

Had to do some online research to find out what a 20 MOA base is, told you I'm a newbie at this

So without a suitable base my shooting range would be limited to the 100/150 yard distance. Hmmm. I hadn't even thought of shooting anything further than 100 yards to be honest, I guess I wrongly assumed a .22lr would be too small a caliber for real long range stuff.

I will be getting a scope of some kind with the rifle. I wear glasses so my eyesight isn't the greatest so this is good to know, thanks.

SO, this brings up another question then. With a suitable scope/base combo and a high velocity round what kind of range is a .22LR capable of?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Had to do some online research to find out what a 20 MOA base is, told you I'm a newbie at this

So without a suitable base my shooting range would be limited to the 100/150 yard distance. Hmmm. I hadn't even thought of shooting anything further than 100 yards to be honest, I guess I wrongly assumed a .22lr would be too small a caliber for real long range stuff.

I will be getting a scope of some kind with the rifle. I wear glasses so my eyesight isn't the greatest so this is good to know, thanks.

SO, this brings up another question then. With a suitable scope/base combo and a high velocity round what kind of range is a .22LR capable of?
When shooting beyond 50 yards if you want good accuracy you should use subsonic ammo as it does not transition in flight like the high velocity and standard rounds do (depending on your elevation) once they pass 50 yards - at which point somewhere along the line they will wobble while transitioning to subsonic causing erratic accuracy results beyond 50 yards. So even at 100 yards you are better off using subsonic ammo.

Shooting out to 200 yards it is a must to use at least a 20 MOA Scope Base as there will be at least 27 MOA drop, and sometimes more, upwards of 30 MOA drop. Even with a Mil-Dot Scope without a 20 MOA Base you would not be able to reach 200 yards effectively using the bottom Mil-Dot without holding over the target.

Over on another website we have quite a bit of info on this long range .22LR shooting using the 20 MOA Base and Mil-Dot Scope. Your best accuracy will come from being able to put your cross-hairs on the target rather then trying to hold over with the lower dot, or in some cases with the lower dot on the target at 200 yards. Again, the elevation at which you shoot comes into play as well. I'll PM you the website if you'd like to do further research.

So, if you feel that long range .22LR shooting might be in your furture you would be better off getting a rifle that a 20 MOA Scope Base can be mounted on. It's a whole lot better then trying to shim the scope to 20 MOA.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

I shoot a lot of 22 LR (anarchist-in-training was helping me clean out the jeep, found 700 rounds of 22 ammo in there) Bolt, semi, lever, and pump. Yeah, the semis are fun for plinking. For SERIOUS target shooting, it is going to be a bolt gun. Besides accuracy, simplicity, ease of cleaning, the one advantage that the bolt gun will have over MOST semis- it will eat whatever you can fit in the chamber.

Most common complaint of the semi owner is "fail to feed" or "fail to eject". Some are downright finicky about what they will digest. When the rain stops this afternoon, I'll be headed for the range. With a bolt gun, and at least 6 different brands of ammo. And they are ALL gonna feed in the Mossberg 46 and the Mossberg 44US.

With some careful shopping, you can probably find a nice USED bolt gun and a USED semi in good shape for what you will spend on a new 10/22 (by the time you finish buying accessories to make the 10/22 shoot that well )

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For SERIOUS target shooting, it is going to be a bolt gun.

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #18

Well today I took a trip to the local Gander Mountain today and got to handle a few of the rifles I've been trying to compare online, very interesting trip.

I've decided it's a bolt action for me. LOVE that action in operation, very positive and satisfying. Not sure if it's the feel or the sound but it's the only choice for me now. Plus I like what you're all telling me about the rifle and it's accuracy and ease of cleaning, thanks guys

I also found I'm not a fan of the synthetic stocks. They look great in all the photos I've seen online but personally I don't like how they feel so it's got to be a laminate wood stock for me.

Still haven't decided on a make or model yet but I'm a few steps closer now

Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #19

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Well today I took a trip to the local Gander Mountain today and got to handle a few of the rifles I've been trying to compare online, very interesting trip.

I've decided it's a bolt action for me. LOVE that action in operation, very positive and satisfying. Not sure if it's the feel or the sound but it's the only choice for me now. Plus I like what you're all telling me about the rifle and it's accuracy and ease of cleaning, thanks guys

I also found I'm not a fan of the synthetic stocks. They look great in all the photos I've seen online but personally I don't like how they feel so it's got to be a laminate wood stock for me.

Still haven't decided on a make or model yet but I'm a few steps closer now
That was always my biggest complaint with the Mossy 702 and 802. Who knows, for the price maybe I should skipped the ruger and just got the 702. Keep in mind that the Mossberg 702 (and I belive the 802 as well) are manufactured in Brazil. It may not be a big deal to you or others but it effected my buy.

For the record, I own a mossy 500!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #20

just another 10/22 "fanboy" sounding off. Been killing small game since i was about 5 with it... plenty accurate for me.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"