.22 rimfire vs. Air rifle for suburban settings - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

.22 rimfire vs. Air rifle for suburban settings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Figure on spending about $175 for a Whisper in 22cal. You will need to fire about 40 pellets before it gets quiet. Practice in the garage. Air rifles are pellet sensitive and will have preferences. I have had good luck with Crossman Hunting pellets. The 4X scope will be junk. Get one with an adjustable objective in 2-7X or 3-9X. Make sure it is rated for air rifles as the recoil impulse is different and will destroy a regular scope. Premium pellet will still be cheaper than 22lr or CB. A friend of mine uses a 22 air rifle to keep the rabbits out of his garden. A head shot will drop them instantly and does not bother the neighbors. He shoots at 50' to 75'. His does not have the silencer like the Whisper. With good pellets they are very accurate. Dont use PBS pellets. I like to shoot pellet guns in my garage and have .177 and .22. The cheap BSA red dot for 22 works pretty well and handles the recoil.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #22

For around $200, you can pick up a Marlin 981T and shoot S,L and LR all with the same gun. With the shorts and CB Longs, you'll be as quiet, if not quieter than an air rifle. I personally fine the shorts the quietest. And, with shorts, I believe you will be in air gun range as far as the danger factor is concerned. I believe the highest power air guns will have more velocity than the shorts.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #23

Liked 874 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I just picked up a Crossman air rifle last weekend for $89. Single shot, break barrel, 1200 ft. per second. It's pretty quiet over-all; worlds better than a .22 anyway. Not near as accurate as a .22 so I won't shoot an anything with doesn't have dirt or sky as the back stop, but I have 5 less squirrels in my backyard after just one afternoon in the garage. Took about 20 shots from about 30ish yards so again; the accuracy sucks but small game tend to be more curious than intelligent.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #24

Liked 230 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I have yet to share my insight on airguns,so I might as well since I owned dozens from childhood up to adulthood.First of all,as far as durability,you CANNOT beat a high powered pnuematic air rifle like the benjamin sheridan pump guns,yeah they have a little less power(800 fps in .177 vs 1000fps in a comparable break action),but you will never have a problem with it,like an AK you can totally abuse it and it will always work,as where spring powered air guns have all kinds of quirks,I have had 2 completely break due to a single dry fire(daisy 1000x's)and one where the barrel snapped right in half while cocking(benjamin superstreak)not to mention all spring guns having scope issues,even if you have a specific pellet gun scope i'll bet it will slide off at some point.I did own one great spring gun that "like a 1960's armalite" would be awesome if kept pristine and not abused,and that was a RWS Diana in .22 caliber,it would shoot a 14 grain .22 pellet at 1,000fps and it took down anything it hit,it had more killing energy than a .177 cal@1,200fps and was much quieter ta boot.Pick your pellet and know your muzzle energy,close up like less than 25 yards,a wadcutter is best on something small like a rat or smaller bird,it will smack it hard and put ALL the energy into it,out further you will want a pointed pellet for less wind resistance and drop and more long range energy.At any range when shooting something larger like an opussum or coon,always use a pointed pellet for better penetration.Don't use an airgun in .177 with less velocity than 800fps with lead pellets and don't use a .22cal with less than 600fps with lead pellets or your game is gonna take off wounded.C02 guns can be fun to shoot and good for hunting if that particular gun can produce the power,but with that you have to buy C02 AND pellets,so you'll spend even more than a .22 rimfire if you do alot of shooting.Never use bb's,ever.They just do not kill.And beware of claims of 1,500fps or 1,200fps that can only shoot that fast with a pba pellet,yeah it will shoot 1,500fps,but for only 5 yards before it drops to regular pellet gun velocity-and guess what-that supsonic crack will have just put your pellet off target by going above and then back below the speed of sound.Stick to lead pellets that are actually below 1,130fps.Well,thats a little I know from experience.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Last edited by ninjatoth; 12-03-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #25

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check with your local city ordinances. In most towns and cities it is illegal to discharge a firearm, including air rifles / pistols, within city limits. Those laws usually include archery as well.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #26
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I'm with c3shooter on this one CCI longs are quieter than an air rifle fire a heavier projectile and hit much harder than any .177 or even .22 pneumatic.
I have used them for years and with proper bullet placement have taken many raccoons from around the chicken coop.
The only negative is they aren't always easy to come by.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #27
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I just picked up a Crossman air rifle last weekend for $89. Single shot, break barrel, 1200 ft. per second. It's pretty quiet over-all; worlds better than a .22 anyway. Not near as accurate as a .22 so I won't shoot an anything with doesn't have dirt or sky as the back stop, but I have 5 less squirrels in my backyard after just one afternoon in the garage. Took about 20 shots from about 30ish yards so again; the accuracy sucks but small game tend to be more curious than intelligent.
Try different brands of pellets. Air rifles are very ammo sensitive. I have had good luck with Benjamin Pointed Pellets in 177. Crossman Hunter in 22 have been good.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #28

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I've taken about a half dozen squirrels this year so far with my air gun. I've got a Remington Vantage. It's accurate out to 25 yards. After that it opens up too much to place a pin point shot, but I think I may have a lemon, because I've seen videos of people getting much better groupings than mine. The Vantage is a bit loud, I sometimes wear earplugs, not because you have to, but just for comfort. There are other options at the same price point. Airgundepot.com sells refurbished airguns at a good price, many at $100. I would say 5-7 ft-pounds MINIMIM for 15 to 20 yard shots for birds, and 8-15 ft-pounds for longer shots or larger game like squirrels. One thing to consider about break barrels is that they have a backwards and forward recoil that is abrupt and violent. It can be a challenge to get used to. The impulse is nothing near as powerful as a "thirty", but I'd rather shoot a "thirty" any day of the week. I'd recommend a .22 caliber air rifle.

With the right gun/suppressor, subsonic .22 will be quieter, but you'll not get that for $100.

I also have a Remington Airmaster 77. The thing is incredibly accurate. I get about 1/2" at 40 yards. But you'll be limited to about 15 maybe 20 yards because of it's power. Of course all of this is my opinion. You're idea of an ethical shot might be entirely different. I tend to err on the conservative side, taking much less risky shots.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 12-09-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #29

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i have a daisy 901 at 709 fps, its killed several squirrels and rabbits out to 30yds with 1 shot. i use pointed pellets.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

You have gotten some great advice here as always. Like many have said, they don't know exactly where you live.
If you go with the actual 22 rifle, the CB's were mentioned, but Anguila also has the Colibri line of low powder and no powder "quiet" ammo. I have about a 120 left of the 20Gr. RN no powder, and just under 1 full box of the low powder. I use them for spitting lizards( the Geckos older bigger cousin that spits a toxic drool that burns eyes and skin, and bites! They are good for short range target practice, but can not be continuously fired in semi autos, and will jam a semi pistol. They work best in bolt actions and revolvers. I put them in my semi rifles but they can only be shot one round at a time and manually ejected, like Shotshells in a semi auto...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...