.22 rimfire shotgun.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 rimfire shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default .22 rimfire shotgun.

Bought this on impulse when in my local gun shop. I must confess I have never seen a .22 shotty before. Its a single shot bolt action Webley Scott. Anyone got any further info please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Webley & Scott, Birmingham, Eng. One of "THE" names in guns- rifles, shotguns, handguns, flare guns, and now- air guns only. webley International

The .22 rimfire shotguns are fairly scarce by any maker, but they are out there. The original crimped end shotshells were all brass, and loaded with a miniscule charge of #12 lead shot. As much a novelty as anything, they were used for pest control at close range, and even INDOOR skeet shooting. I do have a couple of rounds of brass head/ paper body 6mm shotshells made in France (a bit like a sceretary I once had- cute but really useless)

You might follow the link above, and contact W&S for any more info that may be avaialble- and as always-
useless-without-pictures.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

In the early 70's I spent a summer working for the local BSA council at their summer camp. They had 2 Rem pump action smoothbore .22's. They were used for "mouskeet" , a form of trap with tiny little "birds". Daisy made a smooth bore .22 bolt action, about 1990

Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Webley & Scott, Birmingham, Eng. One of "THE" names in guns- rifles, shotguns, handguns, flare guns, and now- air guns only. webley International

The .22 rimfire shotguns are fairly scarce by any maker, but they are out there. The original crimped end shotshells were all brass, and loaded with a miniscule charge of #12 lead shot. As much a novelty as anything, they were used for pest control at close range, and even INDOOR skeet shooting. I do have a couple of rounds of brass head/ paper body 6mm shotshells made in France (a bit like a sceretary I once had- cute but really useless)

You might follow the link above, and contact W&S for any more info that may be avaialble- and as always-
Attachment 15884
Were these guns also used in shooting galleries of the old traveling carnivals?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #5

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Sorry

Sorry guys been hectic at work will post some pics soon.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Is this ammo the same as "rat shot"?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Yes, rat shot. Actually #12 lead shot (about one step larger than dust)

Most of the shooting gallery guns were rifled- a lot were chambered in .22 Short. (an accesory on many was a chain that connnected the barrel to the booth) There were special cartridges that many used that were "gallery" loads- frangible bullets. For those too lazy to look up frangible- made of a substance that breaks into dust on impact with a hard surface. Some were sintered iron (iron powder compressed into a bullet shape). There were a couple of galleries that did the indoor skeet thingy- have heard mention of one that had ice cube targets.

Moss-keet (play of words on mosquito) was introduced by- guess who? Mossberg. They had a neat smoothbore .22 called the Targo- had a little bitty thrower for minature clay pigeons that was mounted to the barrel- pull forward trigger, taget flies, second rear trigger fires shot. Yucky candy called NECO wafers made a good substitute for the clay pigeons.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The "gallery guns" that were around in the 50's and early 60's appeared to be Win. pumps and shot a .22 gallery short The cartridge appeared much like what I came to know as a .22 BB cap- powered by the primer. There was also a .22 CB cap which looked about the same length , except the projectile was pointed and was short range and used for garden pest eradication wo disturbing the neighbors. Could this be your rat shot???

Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
The "gallery guns" that were around in the 50's and early 60's appeared to be Win. pumps and shot a .22 gallery short The cartridge appeared much like what I came to know as a .22 BB cap- powered by the primer. There was also a .22 CB cap which looked about the same length , except the projectile was pointed and was short range and used for garden pest eradication wo disturbing the neighbors. Could this be your rat shot???
Is this ammo still available anywhere?

Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It appears Cabela's has CB shorts made by CCI.