.22 rifles (ruger) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 rifles (ruger)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My M&P .22 best gun to shoot and its cheap!
image-1834555493.jpg

Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #22

Liked 585 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 812

The v block helps if it is the one with a tension set screw to tighten up the barrel to action fitup. Screw basically pushes barrel sideways against inside of reciever to reduce barrel play.
This helps a lot on loose factory barrels. Not so much on barrels that go into the reciver snug and not at all on barrels that have to be pounded in.
Hope this makes it a little more clear.
Ignore the barrel droop issue as long as you can get the scope to center on your group without runming out of adjustment. If you do run out talk to a gunsmith about some scope shims. Aluminum foil works well, get the heavy duty kind

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-16-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #23

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

We are just assuming the OP meant the 10-22. This discussion would be different if he was talking about the 77/22. I have not heard a lot of talk about it, but from what I've heard, not the best. Having said that, I have one that I can't give up. 22LR, All Weather. Looks nice, good overall fit & finish, (bolt is nice & smooth), and one odd machining issue, I think.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
We are just assuming the OP meant the 10-22. This discussion would be different if he was talking about the 77/22. I have not heard a lot of talk about it, but from what I've heard, not the best. Having said that, I have one that I can't give up. 22LR, All Weather. Looks nice, good overall fit & finish, (bolt is nice & smooth), and one odd machining issue, I think.
Ya just the 10/22.. From what I can tell it doesn't even look as if my barrel touches the factory block. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #25

Liked 585 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Usually bad, if the barrel isn't held tight it shifts from shot to shot.Try the vblock its cheaper than a new barrel. Like i said above it shows the biggest improvments with the looser factory barrels.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-16-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 AM   #26

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ruger makes a decent rimfire rifle. If you want to accessorize then it's the rifle to get. If you want a great rifle that doesn't need to be changed then it's probably not the best choice. I would take a Marlin 60 personally because I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get a super accurate semi-auto .22 when I can spend a lot less and get a super accurate bolt action .22. And I have zero desire to change the looks of my rifles. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing that. If that's your thing you don't need my approval to go with it. It's just not me. I want to buy a rifle that looks like a rifle and will do the things rifles do very well right out of the box. That's why I have 5 Marlins and no Ruger .22's.

I've tested the accuracy of a number of Rugers compared to Marlins with both being brand new. The Marlins have came out on top every single time. That's not to say that will always happen. But most likely a new Marlin will be more accurate than a new Ruger. I will say no one makes a more accurate .22 semi-auto pistol than Ruger IMO. But for rifles a Marlin is almost certain to be more accurate.

If you want a rifle that looks like a battle rifle a Ruger can do that. A Ruger can also be made to shoot extremely well for a semi-auto. But for a basic great rifle right out of the box people buy Marlins. That's the reason Marlin sells so many more rifles than Ruger too. The truth is there are about 6 different rifles that are called 10/22's (Takedown, Carbine, Target, Compact, Sporter, Tactical - they all have differences). There is only one rifle that's called a 60 unless you count the different stocks and whether the rifle is stainless or not and even then there aren't many variations. All 60's share the same main parts. That's not true of Rugers. And Marlin doubles the sales numbers with one rifle against 6. Marlin also sells a lot of other .22's but they don't call them 60's.

You asked if Rugers are as good as people say. The answer to that is no. People make wild claims about them and those claims just aren't true. But it is a decent rifle and can be made into an exceptional rifle. But that takes money. The thing is you can buy a very good rifle for less money from Marlin. It will do some things better than the Rugers. But there are very good reasons to get a Ruger. Again I just don't care about my rifle looking like something it isn't. Some people do though. More power to them.

Last edited by Jeff56; 11-18-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #27

I have noticed that when comparing accuracy, a lot of people say something is "more accurate" Well, if you tested it, how much more? If the Marlin will hold a 1" group at 100', and the Ruger will do 1 1/8", I'm not going to be too concerned.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #28

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was able to hold a sub 1" group at 100 yards with the last Marlin I tested against a Ruger. The Ruger was 3"-5" at the same distance. There is a significant difference. I didn't want to post this kind of info because it always causes conflict. But I know what I saw. I wouldn't say this is always the case. I also know that 10/22 I shot against has been upgraded and now shoots as well as the Marlin did and it didn't take that much money. Some trigger work and a flash suppressor that works like a brake made a bunch of difference on the Ruger. But I also updated the Marlin with a better trigger (DIP) and it shoots better than it did too. If you want the real truth I shot some sub .5" groups with that 60 the day I tested it against my friend's new Ruger. Both were less than a week old. Again the Ruger has improved a lot since then. It has improved more than the Marlin has but the Marlin has improved also. And I don't think I can shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards all the time. I just had a really good day that day IMO. But I've shot 2"-3" groups at 200 yards with that rifle many times. It's probably a really good example of a 60. My other one doesn't shoot that well and never did but it also shoots very well IMO. But any rimfire rifle that shoots under 1" consistently or even almost consistently is a really good shooting rifle. Needless to say I'll be holding on to that rifle a long time.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #29

Causes conflict why? That's good info, thanks.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #30

Likes Given: 23

I admit I'm new here. And Iv been reading a lot about this. How much of this is the shooter versus the rifle? In other words, could the shooter prefer the feel of one rifle over the other and shoot better?

Last edited by LiquidSteel; 11-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.