Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #21
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The media is not out to inform us. It is out to sell more soap, hard-on pills

and dog food than three other local stations. So they step up the drama

and sensationalism intentionally. Every word is specifically scripted to

make more ignorant people tune in, and watch commercials. They know

the difference, and they shout "FIRE!", in a crowded theater, on purpose.

True to a point.( But NOT all media). One of the reasons I have left covering" Team sports" Media(except for 2 shows I do because both orgs./people have been loyal to me), because people( media & Ad execs) are not interested in the TRUE story anymore, only what SELLS,...besides 2A Media is more fun, and the Ratio of Jackwagons to decent folks is much lower in 2A/BOR media. It's true, Hype sells, but you have to have Substance behind it, or the buzz dies down to a wimper sooner or later...
Maybe they think it's "hi-Powered" because they saw the Tannerite video on U-Boob when the fool tried blowing up an old CPU and got a Chunk of it in his head for his trouble..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-16-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #22
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1397634541.700583.jpg
Not "all of these" holes were Made by 9's and 40's. At least one is from A Rem. Golden Bullet( at 20yds, through an 18.25" rifle barrel)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #23

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
... "The killer shot the victim in the head at 100yds with a high powered rifle with the accuracy of a sniper. ...
The operator hit the pedestrian on the sidewalk with sports car with the accuracy of a race car driver.

(My car has an AWD gas tank and automatic tires. It's where I keep my 30 magazine clips with the shoulder thing that goes up.)

Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1863 Times on 1278 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
This is a long video, but he hits it a few times with a rifle. No he doesn't prove that it's 500 yards, but I believe him. He's a very popular guy on youtube and has made some incredible shots very consistently. If he says 500 yards, it's 500 yards. Anyways, no I don't think that .22 is high powered. I'm just simply sharing a impressive video.
Thank you for sharing the video. That guy is full of it. To start off with a 22 LR bullet starts tumbling around 250 yards. He is saying that he is the master of physics. He should start selling his 22 LR ammo. I will gladly pay $1 per shot for 22 LR ammo that has a 500 yard range. In fact, I will up the ante. I will pay $500 for a brick of 22 LR ammo that has a 500 yard range. The bullet has to get there with less than a 10" drop and not tumbling.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
A 100 yard head shot with a .22 LR is certainly doable by anyone with a decent level of ability with a decent rifle. Anyone who's shot Small Bore Rifle Silhouette would probably agree. That said, there's nothing "High Power" about it.
Smallbore silhouette isn't even a sanctioned event. To start off with the 22LR won't knock the silhouette down. It is an event to get children interested in target shooting.

NRA smallbore is a 50 yard competition with iron sights. At 50 yards the 22 LR has a wind drift of around 2" with a 10 mph wind. NRA smallbore shooters are awesome. The top 10 or more shooters will hit a target the size of a pencil almost every time.

Virtually all sanctioned smallbore events are shot with iron sights at 50 yards.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Thank you for sharing the video. That guy is full of it. To start off with a 22 LR bullet starts tumbling around 250 yards. He is saying that he is the master of physics. He should start selling his 22 LR ammo. I will gladly pay $1 per shot for 22 LR ammo that has a 500 yard range. In fact, I will up the ante. I will pay $500 for a brick of 22 LR ammo that has a 500 yard range. The bullet has to get there with less than a 10" drop and not tumbling.
i have to disagree. 500 yard shots with a 22 are doable for sure, but very difficult. i too have done it a few times, and honestly had more misses than hits, but it still can be done. i am pretty sure that if i were to practice it more, i could probably ge more hits than misses. i have seen more than one person make 500 yard shots with a 22.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 435 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 889

Quote:
Sorry but I strongly disagree. He is not full of it. Go look at some of his other videos, and you will see that this guy is a natural marksman. He wouldn't fake a video like that. If he tried it and couldn't hit it, he would have said so.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #28

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 107

The guy in the YouTube video above has a channel with the handle 22plinkster. He did a video with iraqveteran8888, another popular channel that I recommend subscribing to. He was making consistent hits (as consistent as you can be with 22LR at 500 yards), he even was double tapping the plate and if I remember correctly he even triple tapped one or two times.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
The guy in the YouTube video above has a channel with the handle 22plinkster. He did a video with iraqveteran8888, another popular channel that I recommend subscribing to. He was making consistent hits (as consistent as you can be with 22LR at 500 yards), he even was double tapping the plate and if I remember correctly he even triple tapped one or two times.
My offer still stands for that ammo.

I know it to be a fact he is a fake. The 22 LR starts tumbling between 250 and 300 yards from a rifle. Then he can make the same shot with a pistol. He is blowing away Olympic and factory paid marksmen if he is making 500 yard shots with a 22LR. Why hasn't a factory picked him up when no marksman in history has been able to match his feats?

That video ranks right up there with the photos of deer that had been shot with a 5.56. The 5.56 did 10x the damage of a belted magnum. Uhhmm, yah, those were true pictures too.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 435 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 889

Quote:
My offer still stands for that ammo.

I know it to be a fact he is a fake. The 22 LR starts tumbling between 250 and 300 yards from a rifle. Then he can make the same shot with a pistol. He is blowing away Olympic and factory paid marksmen if he is making 500 yard shots with a 22LR. Why hasn't a factory picked him up when no marksman in history has been able to match his feats?

That video ranks right up there with the photos of deer that had been shot with a 5.56. The 5.56 did 10x the damage of a belted magnum. Uhhmm, yah, those were true pictures too.
Not everyone wants to be a Olympic competitor, or a factory paid marksman. He is simply a enthusiast with incredible skill. But seeing as you refuse to believe it, I guess this conversation is over.