Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?

I ask because I was watching one of those crime documentaries on Investigation Discovery and they said something to the effect of "The killer shot the victim in the head at 100yds with a high powered rifle with the accuracy of a sniper.
First of all hitting someone in the head at 100yds should be easy for anyone remotely familiar with a firearm. Later I found out that the bullet that killed the victim was a .22 cal.
I hate the inaccuracies in the media when it comes to firearms. One would think that the Discovery channel would pay more attention to the facts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I ask because I was watching one of those crime documentaries on Investigation Discovery and they said something to the effect of "The killer shot the victim in the head at 100yds with a high powered rifle with the accuracy of a sniper.
First of all hitting someone in the head at 100yds should be easy for anyone remotely familiar with a firearm. Later I found out that the bullet that killed the victim was a .22 cal.
I hate the inaccuracies in the media when it comes to firearms. One would think that the Discovery channel would pay more attention to the facts.
a 22 cal as in a 223, etc, or a 22lr?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 487

A 22 Hornet is certainly a high powered rifle.

In real world conditions it is hard to make a 100 yard shot with a 22 LR. At 100 yards the bullet drops over six inches, wind drift is virtually incalculable. A 10 mph wind will push a 22 LR bullet over 10" at 100 yards. If you get a 12. 13 mph gust wind drift jumps to over 16". A head or tail wind will make a 22 LR totally unpredictable at 100 yards.

These ballistics are with a rifle shooting a CCI mini mag.

A 22 wmr can make 100 yard shots because it has almost twice the velocity of a 22 LR and a much better designed bullet.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 90 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 29

They were talking about a 22lr to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1475 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
It's all blurred lines when it comes to the media usage (see "assault rifle"), but in short, NO. In competition lingo, high powered means centerfire, rifle caliber. "High powered" is casually used in the press to convey the drama.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1946 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Except for a few 22LR loads the do push the bullet at over 1500 fps, ( and one at 1750)..
It Can be done, but it wouldn't be my First choice...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Except for a few 22LR loads the do push the bullet at over 1500 fps, ( and one at 1750)..
It Can be done, but it wouldn't be my First choice...
What is weird about the 22 LR is most sub sonic loads do a better job of bucking the wind than the ultra high velocity loads.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2610 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

IMHO the media will use any label that "sells". In my world, a .22 caliber rifle (in any form) is most certainly NOT a high powered rifle. These mental midgets on TV and in the newspapers have ZERO clue what they are talking about. They are precisely why we have terms like "Saturday Nght Special", "Cop Killer Bullets" (no cop hs been killed by one), "Assault Rifle", "Assault Pistol" (what in the world is that?), "Ghost Gun" and any number of other non-sensical labels attached to a variety of guns.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

therewolf Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1946 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Default Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?

One of our smaller local papers had a guy who was very liberal writing an OP-Ed column. Guess who got fired from that paper?...one of his last pieces was how an 18 y.o. Could go buy a Brick of 22's at Wal-Mart. I asked him where he lived on Twitter, cause he sure as heck wasn't buying it at MY Wally...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #10

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A 22 Hornet is certainly a high powered rifle.

In real world conditions it is hard to make a 100 yard shot with a 22 LR. At 100 yards the bullet drops over six inches, wind drift is virtually incalculable. A 10 mph wind will push a 22 LR bullet over 10" at 100 yards. If you get a 12. 13 mph gust wind drift jumps to over 16". A head or tail wind will make a 22 LR totally unpredictable at 100 yards.

These ballistics are with a rifle shooting a CCI mini mag.

A 22 wmr can make 100 yard shots because it has almost twice the velocity of a 22 LR and a much better designed bullet.
I completely disagree with you. Watch the video below to see why