Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-rifles-considered-high-powered-rifles-106189/)

ccase39 04-14-2014 10:30 PM

Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?
 
I ask because I was watching one of those crime documentaries on Investigation Discovery and they said something to the effect of "The killer shot the victim in the head at 100yds with a high powered rifle with the accuracy of a sniper.
First of all hitting someone in the head at 100yds should be easy for anyone remotely familiar with a firearm. Later I found out that the bullet that killed the victim was a .22 cal.
I hate the inaccuracies in the media when it comes to firearms. One would think that the Discovery channel would pay more attention to the facts.

Anna_Purna 04-14-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccase39 (Post 1558521)
I ask because I was watching one of those crime documentaries on Investigation Discovery and they said something to the effect of "The killer shot the victim in the head at 100yds with a high powered rifle with the accuracy of a sniper.
First of all hitting someone in the head at 100yds should be easy for anyone remotely familiar with a firearm. Later I found out that the bullet that killed the victim was a .22 cal.
I hate the inaccuracies in the media when it comes to firearms. One would think that the Discovery channel would pay more attention to the facts.

a 22 cal as in a 223, etc, or a 22lr?

John_Deer 04-14-2014 10:58 PM

A 22 Hornet is certainly a high powered rifle.

In real world conditions it is hard to make a 100 yard shot with a 22 LR. At 100 yards the bullet drops over six inches, wind drift is virtually incalculable. A 10 mph wind will push a 22 LR bullet over 10" at 100 yards. If you get a 12. 13 mph gust wind drift jumps to over 16". A head or tail wind will make a 22 LR totally unpredictable at 100 yards.

These ballistics are with a rifle shooting a CCI mini mag.

A 22 wmr can make 100 yard shots because it has almost twice the velocity of a 22 LR and a much better designed bullet.

ccase39 04-14-2014 11:01 PM

They were talking about a 22lr to clarify.


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Mercator 04-15-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccase39 (Post 1558521)
I ask because I was watching one of those crime documentaries on Investigation Discovery and they said something to the effect of "The killer shot the victim in the head at 100yds with a high powered rifle with the accuracy of a sniper.
First of all hitting someone in the head at 100yds should be easy for anyone remotely familiar with a firearm. Later I found out that the bullet that killed the victim was a .22 cal.
I hate the inaccuracies in the media when it comes to firearms. One would think that the Discovery channel would pay more attention to the facts.

It's all blurred lines when it comes to the media usage (see "assault rifle"), but in short, NO. In competition lingo, high powered means centerfire, rifle caliber. "High powered" is casually used in the press to convey the drama.

DrFootball 04-15-2014 08:10 AM

Except for a few 22LR loads the do push the bullet at over 1500 fps, ( and one at 1750)..
It Can be done, but it wouldn't be my First choice...


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

John_Deer 04-15-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1558961)
Except for a few 22LR loads the do push the bullet at over 1500 fps, ( and one at 1750)..
It Can be done, but it wouldn't be my First choice...
Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

What is weird about the 22 LR is most sub sonic loads do a better job of bucking the wind than the ultra high velocity loads.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html

robocop10mm 04-15-2014 08:42 AM

IMHO the media will use any label that "sells". In my world, a .22 caliber rifle (in any form) is most certainly NOT a high powered rifle. These mental midgets on TV and in the newspapers have ZERO clue what they are talking about. They are precisely why we have terms like "Saturday Nght Special", "Cop Killer Bullets" (no cop hs been killed by one), "Assault Rifle", "Assault Pistol" (what in the world is that?), "Ghost Gun" and any number of other non-sensical labels attached to a variety of guns.

DrFootball 04-15-2014 08:48 AM

Are .22 Rifles considered "high powered rifles"?
 
One of our smaller local papers had a guy who was very liberal writing an OP-Ed column. Guess who got fired from that paper?...one of his last pieces was how an 18 y.o. Could go buy a Brick of 22's at Wal-Mart. I asked him where he lived on Twitter, cause he sure as heck wasn't buying it at MY Wally...


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Franklin1995 04-15-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1558560)
A 22 Hornet is certainly a high powered rifle.

In real world conditions it is hard to make a 100 yard shot with a 22 LR. At 100 yards the bullet drops over six inches, wind drift is virtually incalculable. A 10 mph wind will push a 22 LR bullet over 10" at 100 yards. If you get a 12. 13 mph gust wind drift jumps to over 16". A head or tail wind will make a 22 LR totally unpredictable at 100 yards.

These ballistics are with a rifle shooting a CCI mini mag.

A 22 wmr can make 100 yard shots because it has almost twice the velocity of a 22 LR and a much better designed bullet.

I completely disagree with you. Watch the video below to see why ;)



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.