Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22 rifle barrel question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-rifle-barrel-question-32948/)

Yunus 10-12-2010 12:57 PM

.22 rifle barrel question

On a .22 does a bull barrel really improve accuracy and life span?

I'm talking about a 10/22 specifically, just wondering if the extra weight would be worth it or if I should just get the el cheapo Wal-Mart one. It's just a plinking gun and would be matched with either no scope or a $99 Nikon.

stalkingbear 10-12-2010 01:56 PM

The weight of the barrel has little to do with actual accuracy level on a 10/22. Where the "bull" barrels shine is in a tighter/shorter chamber and the tighter tolerances of the rifling. Heavy barrels also move the balance outward and make for steadier holding when shooting offhand. If it's just a plinking gun I wouldn't bother with a heavy barrel.

Jay 10-12-2010 03:17 PM

If all you're looking for is an accurate plinking, or hunting rifle, forget the 10-22's and buy an older Mossberg, or Marlin. I've bought and sold several 10-22's because out of the box, none I've messed with come close to being as accurate as my old Mossbergs, or Marlins.....

You can make the 10-22's accurate, but by the time you do, you could have bought several other rifles that are more than adequate for what you indicate that you want, and considerably less money. Bull barrels tend to reduce the amount the barrel flexes after each shot, and can enhance accuracy, but by itself, a bull barrel won't make your rifle all that much more accurate.

Just my experience, and opinion......

Highpower 10-12-2010 03:49 PM

Gotta agree with stalkingbear. You would probably get tired of holding up the heavy pretty quick if all you are doing is offhand plinking.

If you are talking about shooting rim-fire silhouette matches, then you'll just have to suck it up and deal with the weight. :D

Dillinger 10-12-2010 04:14 PM

I have to agree with the above. I have a bull barrel on my 10/22 and while it looks cool, shooting for a time off hand does get a bit tiring.

I have bull barrels on all my rifles though because I like eliminating that factor in my mind from shooting. It's totally me and a mental block, but the piece of mind that the bull barrel is not allowing extra harmonics makes me a happier shooter.

At the end of the day, if you like the look and want the bull barrel, get it, but you probably are not going to see a drastic improvement in your groups without a lot of trigger time.

lonyaeger 10-12-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 367093)
If all you're looking for is an accurate plinking, or hunting rifle, forget the 10-22's and buy an older Mossberg, or Marlin. I've bought and sold several 10-22's because out of the box, none I've messed with come close to being as accurate as my old Mossbergs, or Marlins.....

Just my experience, and opinion......

He was asking about a 10/22.

Yunus 10-12-2010 04:22 PM

Appreciate the input, I think I'm going with the regular barrel as I will probably be more accurate after 20 or 30 freestanding shots.

I've got the Charger already and it's fun but loud. Wintertime I shoot from inside a building and pistols are just too loud.

Jay 10-12-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 367128)
He was asking about a 10/22.

And I responded about a 10-22..... bull barrel or not, it's been my experience that there are many more accurate rifles out there for similar money, given what the OP stated his uses were.

Yunus 10-12-2010 07:17 PM

Everyone has their opinion and thats fine. Since I already have a 10/22 in the form of a charger and have magazines for it that I know are reliable and the others I shoot with also have 10/22's it makes it a logical choice for me to get another 10/22.

You all know me, I'm not one to stand out in a crowd, better to just go with the flow. :D

Highpower 10-12-2010 07:34 PM

Nut-in wrong with that Yunus.
(See what I did there? --- Squirrel!!!) :p

I don't believe I've ever seen an un-reliable (factory) xx/22 magazine though.
I've got a couple of 10/22's and a 77/22 along with an ammo can full of magazines. Haven't had a mag problem once.

The 'tuned' guns stay with me most of the time, but I also keep a box stock 10/22 for plinking & youth duties. Wouldn't be without that one.