.22 for my 12 year old, need recommendations - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 for my 12 year old, need recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all your comments, and even the light-hearted arguments. :-)

dks7895 lives near me and has offered to have us up at his place so my sone can test out a few rifles he has. How cool is that? Turns out we both work in I.T. as well.

Guns. Bringing people together!

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #22

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Paul... my offer still stands. All my contact info is on my facebook page, so ping me and let me know when you want to get together. I am unavailable the weekend of the 9/10... but I'm sure we can work something out. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
Paul... my offer still stands. All my contact info is on my facebook page, so ping me and let me know when you want to get together. I am unavailable the weekend of the 9/10... but I'm sure we can work something out. Looking forward to meeting you guys.
I haven't forgot about your offer. I'm traveling the next couple of weekends, but hope to meet up with you later this month, or early October.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I recommend a marlin also. I have 4. 3 semi autos and one bolt action. They are all great shooters. Very accurate and they will eat just about any ammo I feed them even though I prefer cci. I must say my marlins all have had well over 10k rounds at the minimum ran threw them with very few issues. (usually ammo issues when I was experimenting with different brands of bulk.

Overall I would go with a marlin or ruger 10/22. Goodluck with your search.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #25

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get him a Henry lever action and a Louis Lamour novel. Can't go wrong!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #26

A lot of good info here. So, I'll just throw my $0.02 worth in as well.

I've shooting since I was 10. I'm almost 67 now. I've owned a lot .22 rifles over the years, Rugers, Marlins, J.C. Higgens, Winchesters, Remingtons, etc., etc. etc. One brand of rifle that I've found to be reliable, accurate, and reasonable in cost is the Savage bolt action .22.

I personally don't think you should start anyone out on anything but a bolt action. Savage guns these days are the match of virtually anyone, in the areas of accuracy, dependability, etc. Not talking glitz, just a good, solid rifle. The Mark I single shots are excellent to teach with. The Mark IIs are also good to teach with and continue to shoot for the rest of your life. No, I don't work for Savage or get any royalties. Just speaking from experience.

My main .22 rifle is currently a Savage Mark II, blued, with a nice 4x scope mounted. I use 5 and 10 shot magazines, and a single shot adapter. My Ruger 10/22 is now used mostly by my adult son. He sorta' took it over since I don't use it. The military got him hooked on semi-autos. He'd like a full, but......!

It's very accurate, more than I am, never let me down, and with the single shot adapter, I can shoot virtually any of the .22 ammo available from LRs to BBs and shot.

Look into one before you decide. And good luck with the training. Get him started right and he'll be hooked for a lifetime.

SgtSam
Take Care, God Bless, And WATCH Your Back

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSam
A lot of good info here. So, I'll just throw my $0.02 worth in as well.

I've shooting since I was 10. I'm almost 67 now. I've owned a lot .22 rifles over the years, Rugers, Marlins, J.C. Higgens, Winchesters, Remingtons, etc., etc. etc. One brand of rifle that I've found to be reliable, accurate, and reasonable in cost is the Savage bolt action .22.

I personally don't think you should start anyone out on anything but a bolt action. Savage guns these days are the match of virtually anyone, in the areas of accuracy, dependability, etc. Not talking glitz, just a good, solid rifle. The Mark I single shots are excellent to teach with. The Mark IIs are also good to teach with and continue to shoot for the rest of your life. No, I don't work for Savage or get any royalties. Just speaking from experience.

My main .22 rifle is currently a Savage Mark II, blued, with a nice 4x scope mounted. I use 5 and 10 shot magazines, and a single shot adapter. My Ruger 10/22 is now used mostly by my adult son. He sorta' took it over since I don't use it. The military got him hooked on semi-autos. He'd like a full, but......!

It's very accurate, more than I am, never let me down, and with the single shot adapter, I can shoot virtually any of the .22 ammo available from LRs to BBs and shot.

Look into one before you decide. And good luck with the training. Get him started right and he'll be hooked for a lifetime.
Thanks. Great info!

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #28

I think a 10/22. Somehow let him pick it out when you walking by guns in the store see what he is looking at. If he's not happy he won't have fun for my 16th birthday I asked for a 1911 45 and I open the box and threes a Kimber ultra carry and I hate it with a passion.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #29

If you're thinking a semi, aint nuttin wrong with a 10-22 ... its one everybody should own at least one of ...

... but if you're asking for a recomendation, you can pick up a SiG-522 pretty close to your price range. Its a great little 22, stock is adjustable for length so he can grow into it, mags are available in 10 and 25 round reasonably priced, not propritary, and available from from Blackdog ... can be equiped with irons as well as scoped ... has a good trigger. Its also a great trainer if you pick up its big brother the 556!

I like mine as does my 10 year old daughter

If you really want something, you'll find a way ...
... if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

kimberkid ... the user formerly known as skydriver.

Last edited by kimberkid; 09-16-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #30

i'm 13 and i use a m16, if you go to brownells ar15 builder you can build one, just dont buy a bolt carrier, then go to cheaper than dirt and get a .22 bolt carrier. if you dont want that i also use a marlin 983 22 mag, and its freakin sweet. my sister REALLY likes the m1carbine in 22. we could shoot a can into the air then knock it out of the air. my favorite is the ar but its really your choice.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die