Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 Marlin 39

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 Marlin 39A

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a couple questions about this gun.
My father just gave me a .22 Marlin 39
I believe it was my grandfathers and we got it when he passed.

I have been trying to figure out what it might be worth or what it is.
I don't really have intentions to sell it quite yet I am just curious.

It is pretty nice besides some pretty bad rust on the end of the barrel.
I was also wondering what a good way to get rid of this rust is?

The serial indicates it is a 1964. Is that right?

Now for the rust

Last edited by craiggroves91; 11-07-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Got the brass magazine tube out.
It was stuck in there pretty good
Its in ugly shape though

Last edited by craiggroves91; 11-07-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8447 Times on 3665 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Have a few of these- learned to shoot using my Dad's Marlin.

First- that is not a 39- it is a 39A. BIG price difference between those two. Yes, the Y or the Z prefix is 1964.

Value- priceless. Worth? Due to the rust, it is probably about a $100-$150 rifle. Without the rust, about $400-$450.

How to get rid of the rust? Well, there is RUSTY- a light even surface film, and RUSTED- where the metal has pitted and bubbled. Unfortunately metal has gone away under the rusted surfaces- getting rid of the rust will not replace the metal there.

First step- stop the rust from getting worse. A soak in a good penetrating oil. I am partial to a product called KROIL. Penetrating oil on steroids. Wet a cloth with it, wrap surface, let soak for a day or so. You will them need to apply some elbow grease. Find a COPPER pot scrubber, like a Chore Boy- not copper plated. Scrub, wipe with clean cloth, scrub. When arm falls off, switch hands. Keep surface wet with a light oil.

Bluing under the rust will be gone. I do not usually suggest this, but you can use a good cold blue for touchup. Degrease the metal (alcohol works) warm it (hair dryer, then apply cold blue. Blue Wonder has a good rep as far as cold blues.

The ultimate cure would be rebarreling it- expect a barrel to run $125-$150. Gunpartscorp DOES have the outer magzaine tube (used) for about $20. Do not attempt self replacment of barrel- needs tools a smith will have, you probably do not.

The 39A is an EXCELLENT rifle- few others are made like it. machined steel, honest black walnut. GREAT rifles!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #4

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Some people use a 1 part molasses and 9 or 10 parts water mix to soak and stop rust. Usually, you do a preliminary soak for a couple days, scrub with a light wire brush (probably want to use a scotch pad for a rifle), soak for a week and then scrub again.

Works every time. Never heard of anyone using it on a rifle though....

I'd also not sell that rifle if I were you. You'll probably regret it. They are fantastic rifles to begin with and since it's an heirloom, it holds all that much more value to the family.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

You will always be able to see where that rust was. Like c3shooter says use penetrating oil (I often use WD-40 or sometimes just regular oil) and scrub. Mostly I use 0000 steel wool. I don't see any rust that is going to make any functional problem just looks.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Too bad about the rust
Agree with c3 -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Have a few of these- learned to shoot using my Dad's Marlin.

First- that is not a 39- it is a 39A. BIG price difference between those two. Yes, the Y or the Z prefix is 1964.

Value- priceless. Worth? Due to the rust, it is probably about a $100-$150 rifle. Without the rust, about $400-$450.

How to get rid of the rust? Well, there is RUSTY- a light even surface film, and RUSTED- where the metal has pitted and bubbled. Unfortunately metal has gone away under the rusted surfaces- getting rid of the rust will not replace the metal there.

First step- stop the rust from getting worse. A soak in a good penetrating oil. I am partial to a product called KROIL. Penetrating oil on steroids. Wet a cloth with it, wrap surface, let soak for a day or so. You will them need to apply some elbow grease. Find a COPPER pot scrubber, like a Chore Boy- not copper plated. Scrub, wipe with clean cloth, scrub. When arm falls off, switch hands. Keep surface wet with a light oil.

Bluing under the rust will be gone. I do not usually suggest this, but you can use a good cold blue for touchup. Degrease the metal (alcohol works) warm it (hair dryer, then apply cold blue. Blue Wonder has a good rep as far as cold blues.

The ultimate cure would be rebarreling it- expect a barrel to run $125-$150. Gunpartscorp DOES have the outer magzaine tube (used) for about $20. Do not attempt self replacment of barrel- needs tools a smith will have, you probably do not.

The 39A is an EXCELLENT rifle- few others are made like it. machined steel, honest black walnut. GREAT rifles!
Thanks for the great instructions. Last night I just sprayed it with penetrating oil and scrubbed with a cloth, this didn't do much. I was just curious to see if it would come off easy.

Will it hurt the value at all to replace the barrel?

What sucks about the rust is It is stopping me from being able to load the gun. The magazine tube is so rusted around the top knob I can't twist and pull it out.

Last night I was able to twist it, but I can't slide it out.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Keep trying. The inner tube is brass so it will not rust. Once you get the mag tube out use a .38 or .40 cal brush to clean the inside of the outer mag tube.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #9

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggroves91 View Post
Thanks for the great instructions. Last night I just sprayed it with penetrating oil and scrubbed with a cloth, this didn't do much. I was just curious to see if it would come off easy.

Quote:
Will it hurt the value at all to replace the barrel?
What sucks about the rust is It is stopping me from being able to load the gun. The magazine tube is so rusted around the top knob I can't twist and pull it out.

Last night I was able to twist it, but I can't slide it out.
At this point it won't hurt at all - But it'll shoot just as good with the old barrel- Its a shooter, not a collectable

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8447 Times on 3665 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

This time, I agree with Hossfly. A replacement barrel (NOT a home gunsmithing task for this rifle) is going to be VERY pricy. Get a good penetrating oil (NOT WD 40) on the mag tube, let stand, work it out. You CAN find a replacement outer mag tube over at gunpartscorp.com. But clean out the tube (bore brush, cleaning rod, drill) and clean the inner tube (brasso, cloth. elbow grease) and it should work for you. You rifle is now a shooter- and a very good one, but not a collector's gun.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt