Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22 Marlin 15YN (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-marlin-15yn-17790/)

shastowner 09-07-2009 07:45 PM

.22 Marlin 15YN

Recently found a slightly old (and very dirty) Marlin model 15YN youth gun. No magazine just a single shot bolt action. Fun gun.

Problem is that it refuses to eject. I've done a very thorough but basic cleaning on it that did not help in any way.

Anybody got any ideas? After a quick google search I found a replacement bolt that says it'll fit the gun (though it doesn't look the same) for $24.95 but I'd prefer just to get the original bolt working again.

c3shooter 09-08-2009 12:35 AM

I am not where I can lay hands on the 15Y in the safe, but a couple of things to consider-

There was a design change about 1992 that changed the ejector- and the early one was not in the bolt- it was a little doo-dad on the receiver that slid thru a slot in the bolt to eject an extracted round- basically the bolt slid back onto a small post that popped out the fired case.

IIRC, they had a habit of breaking off, which lead to the design change.

And before you buy a bolt, there was a 15Y and a 15YN, not quite same thing. And when replacing a bolt, is ALWAYS a prudent thing to have headspace checked by a smith. 99 times out of 100, no problem. But that 1 out of 100 will be a very exciting event.

With the rifle unloaded, raise bolt handle, shine light into opening, slowly draw bolt to rear. As it reaches full withdrawal, you should see little bit of metal appear on far side of bolt face- that is ejector (not to be confused with extractor, which just pulls fired case out of chamber) If you no see, there's yer problem.

You might also try calling Marlin Tech Services.

shastowner 09-10-2009 08:53 PM

I've just given it a good once over and can't seem to see the ejector pin. What I'm seeing is the firing pin and what I assume is a little arm to help with proper ejection, both on the bolt. But as far as anything inside the gun I don't see one.

Is it difficult to dismantle this rifle? I'm kind of OCD with my guns and would love for it operate properly.

c3shooter 09-10-2009 09:39 PM

Link to parts page and SCHEMATIC at Numrich for your rifle:Marlin & Glenfield*|*15YN*|*e-GunParts.com

CHECK THAT RIFLE IS CLEAR.

Not that much to take apart- remove action screws, take action out of stock, safety off, open bolt, depress and hold trigger, slide bolt out. Should let you see things a bit better.

shastowner 09-11-2009 08:14 PM

Well after running over the gun again with my father we discovered the botl's firing pin looks damaged. We can only assume that the firing pin doubles as the ejector but that the pin's end in the middle of the bolt has been broken (there is visible damage to the bolt where this piece should be).

Looks like I'm going to try and source a firing pin and replace that. Hopefully it'll be the only issue.