22 magnum - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

22 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
I'll second that...it was a Marlin 25MN that got me addicted to .22WMR...added a couple Grendels and I was Hooked for Life

2" at 150 is no problem for the Marlin. But as was stated before, you have to do your part
Good Equipment helps...4-16x40 scope, bipod, and sling. Trigger job & doing the Second Action Screw Mod help even more
Only paying $80 for the rifle and whooping .17HMR shooters at the range...Priceless
Trigger job I can figure out but what is the "second action screw mod"?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiller View Post
just curious myself, as heard of it before a couple of times, just didn't know what it was.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #13

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiller View Post
If it's like the Stirling .22 mag there's only 1 screw holding the action to the stock so what is needed is a 2nd screw fitted generally where the 2nd trigger guard screw is.If theres enough metal on the actual action above where the 2nd trigger guard screw is you drill then tap a hole there and fit a longer screw through the 2nd trigger guard screw and you now have 2 screws plus a bedding and floating job to give the rifle a new lease of life accurracy wise,regards

Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

This is where I always get good buys from impatient people. "I tried all sorts of ammo and it doesn't shoot worth ****!" I find out "all sorts" is four types of ammo and then I buy the "broken" gun for practically nothing.

But just like anything mechanical, every gun has its preferences. And until you put twenty (20) OR MORE types of ammo through your firearm, you don't know if you've found the perfect ammunition for it. Yes, glass bedding, floating, trigger jobs, accurizing, barrel replacements, and all the rest will tighten the group, but until you know you have matched the best possible ammo to THAT gun, your not going to get the best groups. And it doesn't matter what brand, weight, bullet design or anything else works in the exact same make and model of your friend's gun or somebody on the forum - its completely personal to each gun. You have to do your own work but it is so worth it! And if you plan to replace the barrel or do any barrel modifications (Magna-Port or similar) you should do that first then test, as the changes can cause the ammunition choice to change - no need to do the work twice!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
This is where I always get good buys from impatient people. "I tried all sorts of ammo and it doesn't shoot worth ****!" I find out "all sorts" is four types of ammo and then I buy the "broken" gun for practically nothing.

But just like anything mechanical, every gun has its preferences. And until you put twenty (20) OR MORE types of ammo through your firearm, you don't know if you've found the perfect ammunition for it. Yes, glass bedding, floating, trigger jobs, accurizing, barrel replacements, and all the rest will tighten the group, but until you know you have matched the best possible ammo to THAT gun, your not going to get the best groups. And it doesn't matter what brand, weight, bullet design or anything else works in the exact same make and model of your friend's gun or somebody on the forum - its completely personal to each gun. You have to do your own work but it is so worth it! And if you plan to replace the barrel or do any barrel modifications (Magna-Port or similar) you should do that first then test, as the changes can cause the ammunition choice to change - no need to do the work twice!
very well said, i am very much in agreement with you on this. rimfires to me seem more finicky with ammo choice than centerfires.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I second checking out the Marlin rifles. I've got several and they're all great shooters. FWIW, 22 mag is one of my favorites.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Handi 22 mag Sportster ( not a heavy barrel).
My particular rifle does not care for the 30 grains = 1 3/4 inch over 4 brands , the 40 grain get 1 1/2 inch over 6 brands, and the 50 grain Federals give me 1/2 inch groups.
I have done little to the rifle except pillar bedded the fore stock and cleared it to give a free floated barrel and smoothed the trigger sear and use 20 pounds of torque on the fore stock bolt.
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #18

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 850

My Browning A-bolt gold medalion will put 5 CCI Maxi-Mags in a 3/4" group at 100 yards all day long. But, you really can't compare newer/ cheaper rifles to it as it is true craftsmanship. I paid $475.00 for it about 15 years ago. It wears a 3-9x40mm Bushnell w/ see through rings. Barrel contour is heavier then most. When I bought it everyone that saw it said the same thing. That front sight blade is itching to be snapped off. It is still there. Very thin blade.
Bottom Rifle:
22 magnum - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just realized my last post did not state that I was shooting at 50 yards.
I was making no claim to supper accuracy but just what my rifle will do.
I always love to see what other rifles can do with a particular ammo because it tells me what that 22 mag ammo is capable of doing.
I'll keep shooting and tweaking to improve my groups.
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The O.P. here, it looks like the only new choice is bolt action. I vaguely remember problems with the Ruger semi auto's but I was surprised that Marlin, Savage and Ruger don't have a lever action.