Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 mag vs. .17 hmr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My vote goes for the .17HMR. I love mine like its family just don't shoot that squirrel in the gut on accident. It's just nasty to deal with

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #12

I agree with some of the other guys, My Vote's for the .22 Mag. Really, if your a good shot with the .22 Mag, you can take anything from squrriels to Deer. I used to know an Old-Fashion Ablabamian man, I bet you he killed more deer with headshots from a .22 Mag than most people ever kill at all.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeehs View Post
I agree with some of the other guys, My Vote's for the .22 Mag. Really, if your a good shot with the .22 Mag, you can take anything from squrriels to Deer. I used to know an Old-Fashion Ablabamian man, I bet you he killed more deer with headshots from a .22 Mag than most people ever kill at all.
.22 mag for deer? umm...not for me, to me it's like shooting a deer with a field point

aim small, miss small

Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #14

I never saw him do it, But he has pictures of him with dead Bucks, Trusty little single-shot .22 mag in hand. Ive heard so many stories about that and know it's possible because a freind of mine took a Doe last season with a .22LR.

Now I'm not saying you should use a .22 Mag for deer, But should you have too, You know you can.

Last edited by Jeehs; 08-12-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in prairie dog country. Started shooting them with a 22 RF back in 1949. Sometime later got a 22WMR to use with the 22 RF rifle. When the 17 HMR first came out got one . I liked the 17 HMR so I had to try out the 17 HM2 rifle. Now the 22 s stay at home when I go out spring prairie dog hunting. I dont use them for shooting bigger varmints, but for shooting prairie dogs ,there the best. For shots beyond the range of the 17 HMR i,m trying out a 17 Fireball rifle and so far like it. For yotes I use a 22 -250 and 220 Swift ,the 17 RF bullets would not have the energy or range for clean kills on yotes for the way I hunt them.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a 17 HMR (Savage) and I'll have to agree with bear. It's a flat flying round and will cover some ground but it's hell on the small woodland creatures. My Father in law likes to get his 22 mag out and try to shoot 12 gauge hulls out at 100 yards. My 17 can make that shot pretty easily but you have to watch close as the hull held up by a stick wont hardly move when the 17 hits it. The 22 mag will bounce it around some. I think it's bullet shape that makes the difference there though. As a target round the 17 is great. if there isn't too much wind 200 yards is a make-able target.

The round I'm wanting to try now is the 17-M2 THe idea of a 22lr case necked down to 17 interests me a lot. I read they are supposed to be perfectly flat at 100 yds. I'd like to see how it did against the small furry creatures of the forest. I'm tempted to convert one of my 10-22's to the 17-m2. It might be fun to compare the crow destruction results between it and the 17HMR. At 75 yards a crow is not much more than a poof of feathers with the HMR.

None of them will ever replace the 22lr in my heart though. So much fun for so little money. But I really like the 17HMR too. Maybe it's a rim-fire thing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #17

Meat damage of the .22 mag is high, .22 lr low. And from what I hear, .17 HMR is high meat damge, so I'm guessing the .17 hm2 is low meat tearer-upper, so is great for what I would use it for, rabbits and squirrels. But I'm looking for a bolt action RF and trying desperately to decide between the four cartridges. The hm2 sounds really cool....

Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #18

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

I started w/ a 1952 JC Higgins single shot .22lr many years ago. I use to shoot woodchucks and crows out to 100 yards. No one ever told me the cartridge would not do it. Between the .17 HMR and .22WMR each has good points. I bought a Browning A-bolt .22WMR 15 years ago, topped her w/ a Bushnell 3-9x40mm, and she is steller w/ CCI Maxi mag 40gr HP's. When the 33gr Reminton BT came out I tried them. Not pretty at all. A few years passed and I tried the new 30gr BT. Much better, but no real advantage at 120 yards. I picked up a Marlin 917V a few years ago. She is topped w/ a Bushnell 4-12x40mmAO. This gun hated 17gr ammo when I bought her. I only shot 20gr for a few years. I pull out some 17gr when I went shooting this past spring and she shoot them extremely well. It really left me scratching my head. Guess she just needed a little break in time. Of the 2 the .22WMR w/ HP's hits harder and is great for 125 yard shots. The .17 HMR shoots slightly further, 150 yards but lacks the hitting power. Both are extremely accurate. Both will take small game but are not suited for tree squirrels. Great for woodchuck, fox, weasels.....
If you want the pelts, the .17 is not a good round, that goes for the HM2 also. The Gamepoints just don't open up and the BT blow it up. A good .22lr is a great place to start w/ a rim fire. I found Eley primed Aguila ammo as accurate as CCI in all of mine. Even their Centurian 38gr hp is accurate to 65..70 yards for small vermin and 50 yards for tree squirrels. My old JC Higgins (Marlin) is great w/ the centurian. The last Aguila I bought was $28.00 for Eley per 500, and 23.00 for Centurian per 500.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I started w/ a 1952 JC Higgins single shot .22lr many years ago. I use to shoot woodchucks and crows out to 100 yards. No one ever told me the cartridge would not do it. Between the .17 HMR and .22WMR each has good points. I bought a Browning A-bolt .22WMR 15 years ago, topped her w/ a Bushnell 3-9x40mm, and she is steller w/ CCI Maxi mag 40gr HP's. When the 33gr Reminton BT came out I tried them. Not pretty at all. A few years passed and I tried the new 30gr BT. Much better, but no real advantage at 120 yards. I picked up a Marlin 917V a few years ago. She is topped w/ a Bushnell 4-12x40mmAO. This gun hated 17gr ammo when I bought her. I only shot 20gr for a few years. I pull out some 17gr when I went shooting this past spring and she shoot them extremely well. It really left me scratching my head. Guess she just needed a little break in time. Of the 2 the .22WMR w/ HP's hits harder and is great for 125 yard shots. The .17 HMR shoots slightly further, 150 yards but lacks the hitting power. Both are extremely accurate. Both will take small game but are not suited for tree squirrels. Great for woodchuck, fox, weasels.....
If you want the pelts, the .17 is not a good round, that goes for the HM2 also. The Gamepoints just don't open up and the BT blow it up. A good .22lr is a great place to start w/ a rim fire. I found Eley primed Aguila ammo as accurate as CCI in all of mine. Even their Centurian 38gr hp is accurate to 65..70 yards for small vermin and 50 yards for tree squirrels. My old JC Higgins (Marlin) is great w/ the centurian. The last Aguila I bought was $28.00 for Eley per 500, and 23.00 for Centurian per 500.
I already have 3 .22 LR's passed down from my dad, trying to sell two since I only use 1 of them. I could care less about pelts except for foxes, which I might save for myself but not to sell, as far as small game, I only take headshots so no meat will be screwed up.

aim small, miss small

Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had good luck with using 40gr FMJ loads in .22 magnum on small game. It won't tear up any more meat than a .22LR HP,you just have a flatter trajectory and more penetration.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Newest Threads