.22 mag accuracy trouble!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 mag accuracy trouble!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 mag accuracy trouble!

Hey guys im new to this whole thing. But anyways i have a Ruger 77/22 mag all weather edition rifle with a leapold 2-7x32 powered scope on top held down by some ruger rings. I bought this gun used. The problem is i cant get a grouping better than 2 inches and thats off a benchrest at 100 yards! So i took it to the gun shop down the street to have the crowing checked but we came to the conclusion that my scope paralex was messed up so we adjusted that. Next day took it out and no luck! Plz tell me what could be wrong with this gun!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What kind of Leupold 2-7 do you have that the parallax can be adjusted in a gunstore? Does it have an "adjustable objective"?

Are your scope rings torqued too tight? Try about 15 inch lbs. Your rings should be lapped too, to ensure they are straight. This overlooked step should always be done when mounting a scope.

The other thing I would try is a wide selection of ammo. Buy as many brands and bullet weights as you can find. My .22Mag is very ammo sensitive.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #3

oops! My bad. It does have an adjustable objective. And do u have any ammo reccamendations I have tried Winchester 34 grains in jacketed hollow point. I have also tried Remington 40 grains in jacketed hollow point. And federal in 30 grains also jacketed hollow point.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A two inch group at 100 yards from a plastic stock rifle is not all that bad. Try different brands of ammo and bullet weighs. The two piece bolt my need a shim, the action could be porely beded, uneven pressure points on the barrel, damaged muzzle, high trigger weight pull, dirty barrel, scope mounts and scope quality and poor shooting are a few causes of poor accuracy. You can not expect accuracy like one can get from Cooper, Kimber, Anscultz rifles

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I was never a really big fan of the .22 mag. because of accuracy issues in certain guns. Accuracy in my TC Contender falls off after 5 rounds. This is due to powder fouling in the barrel. If I run a clean, dry patch through it every 5 rounds, it is accurate as he**.

Jim...............

Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
I was never a really big fan of the .22 mag. because of accuracy issues in certain guns. Accuracy in my TC Contender falls off after 5 rounds. This is due to powder fouling in the barrel. If I run a clean, dry patch through it every 5 rounds, it is accurate as he**.

Jim...............
I have noticed the same thing in my BRNO.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

I would suggest CCI Maxi Mag HP's. They shoot the best in my Browning. CCI Gamepoint and Vmax are next and the 33gr Remington plastic tip are the largest grouping that I will still use, 2", just because I have a few boxes. The CCI Maxi Mags shoot a true 3/4"- 5 shot groups at 100 yards. My rifle does real bad with anything else I've tried.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I shoot CCI MaxiMag 40 gr. solids in all my .22WMRS (Win 9422M; Marlin 25M;
Rem 597M; Ruger Single Six). Except for the Winnie, the rifles are heavy barrelled. All hold sub-1" groups from bench at 75 yards. I've tried a wide variety of brands and configurations but the CCI seems to work best in my guns.