Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22 mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-mag-65972/)

cakesterkiller 06-07-2012 04:04 PM

.22 mag

im about to be in the market for a new plinker that can also serve as a all around dinner getter and im thinking really hard about a bolt action .22 mag.... im just wondering what everybody's opinions are on the round itself and any suggestions on a affordable model to buy

TLuker 06-07-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesterkiller (Post 828056)
im about to be in the market for a new plinker that can also serve as a all around dinner getter and im thinking really hard about a bolt action .22 mag.... im just wondering what everybody's opinions are on the round itself and any suggestions on a affordable model to buy

Look at the Savage Model 93's. I've got the M93 BTVS and absolutely love it.:)

As for the .22 mag, it's a great caliber. It is more expensive than .22 lr but it also has a lot more range and energy. I personally went with a .22 mag because it is a better dinner getter. We have an open season on hogs but you can only use a caliber that is legal for whatever season is in on public land. During squirrel season you can only use a remfire, and the .22 mag is the most versatile remfire for getting dinner. I would much rather go for head shots on hogs with a .22 mag than any other remfire. I think it's also a much better dinner getter than the .17hmr because it has more penetration because of the heavier bullet.:)

I'm definitely hooked on the .22mag right now.

dan01 06-07-2012 11:23 PM

"I would much rather go for head shots on hogs with a .22 mag than any other rimfire.".........I hope that you shoot from ten feet or so up a tree with that magnum...Head shooting a 200 lb tusker is best done with 12 ga 3 in mag 00 buck pump or auto loader.............

I have killed plenty of wild pig with 30 06, 308, and twelve gage....Killed a few with a Ruger Black Hawk 44mag 7 3/4 in barrel, but I had a back door plan before I pulled the trigger.

I ain't shooting any South Carolina wild pigs over 50 lbs with a 22 magnum that has a less than ten shot magazine or two and I am ten feet up a tree.:D

jpattersonnh 06-08-2012 12:12 AM

.22 mag is a fine provider of FOOD. I love it for head shots on bunnies at range. If I needed a consistant food provider, a 12ga would be better.

HockaLouis 06-08-2012 12:27 AM

Twice as good as a .22 LR. Twice the power. Twice the price too, but, so what?

Axxe55 06-08-2012 12:32 AM

a good 22 Magnum that might interest you would be the Marlin XT-22 bolt action in either a tube or box magazine option. synthetic, laminated or wood stocks, blued or stainless finishes, and even different types of barrels. priced pretty reasonable.

mrt8110 06-08-2012 12:35 AM

Nice cartridge. The Savage 93 or Marlin bolt will do nicely! Cliff

TLuker 06-08-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan01 (Post 828494)
"I would much rather go for head shots on hogs with a .22 mag than any other rimfire.".........I hope that you shoot from ten feet or so up a tree with that magnum...Head shooting a 200 lb tusker is best done with 12 ga 3 in mag 00 buck pump or auto loader.............

I have killed plenty of wild pig with 30 06, 308, and twelve gage....Killed a few with a Ruger Black Hawk 44mag 7 3/4 in barrel, but I had a back door plan before I pulled the trigger.

I ain't shooting any South Carolina wild pigs over 50 lbs with a 22 magnum that has a less than ten shot magazine or two and I am ten feet up a tree.:D

I know guys that catch them and they've been doing it for years!!! They put a Kevlar vest on a pit bull and turn him loose with a hound. The hound finds the trail and then the hog. The pit bull follows and then latches on until the guys get there, and then they grab the hog by the back legs and tie it up. They then carry the hog home and put in a pen until they get ready to slaughter it? Personally, I think they are idiots. :eek:

I do feel under gunned with a .22 mag for a 200+ lb hog but it's a lot better than trying to catch them by hand!!!! It also gives a hole new meaning to the phrase "shot placement".:D

cakesterkiller 06-08-2012 03:45 AM

i wish I had the hog problem you guys have...pig tastes great... i was thinking more like animals under100 lbs for anything bigger than that and i already have more effective rifles

Curlyjoe_99 06-11-2012 04:15 PM

a 22 mag and a head shot?

OMG!! i nailed a 400 lb sow with a 7.62x39 head on from less than 50 yrds and she went a good 30 ft before she dropped. I went back to carrying my '06 over my shoulder AND the SKS with 10rds after that.

"I am not owrthy of those who can do that with a 22"

Curlyjoe