22 mag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 22 mag

Hello if I could get some help I'm trying to decide if a 22 mag is worth buying I have a couple 22 lrs now and they do some good work but not sure if it's worth getting the mag.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

And on another point I recently put a 3x9x50mm on my 22 and the obj is on my barrel is that going to hurt anything??

Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodCanfield View Post
And on another point I recently put a 3x9x50mm on my 22 and the obj is on my barrel is that going to hurt anything??
Yes, you need higher rings. No part of the scope should be in contact with the barrel or receiver.

The first gun I ever purchased was a Winchester 9422m, still have it. I have killed wild hogs with it. Have not shot it much lately, but it always has been a good shooter.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #4

I can slide a sheet of paper under the end of scope but it's real close. Is that still pushing it? Thank you

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

"I can slide a sheet of paper under the end of scope but it's real close."
Not touching is not touching. You're fine.
As to the 22 mag, it is a safe bet that after you get it you will still shoot the 22 LR's 10 times as much as the mag. I might go with a center fire instead but that may be because I'm a reloader.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodCanfield View Post
I can slide a sheet of paper under the end of scope but it's real close. Is that still pushing it? Thank you
Can you see a gap between the scope and the barrel?

As long as there is no contact between the two, you should be ok.

Use a spark plug guage or something to check it.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Only reason I'm considering the mag is because of distance I like to take longer shots but most times my 22 lr just don't cut it iv seen animals take the hit at 70 yards and just run off( talking raccoons) ofcourse, unless there is a better bullet for my 22 I'm not sure. I'll check with spark plug gauge see what that reads.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #8

What would be a good centerfire one then a nice accurate gun for small game and other rodents that like to get into my trash barrels lol

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #9

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

a 22 mag will do a better job at 70ish yards, but maybe a .223 bolt gun would be the way to go. more bullet choices, more speed, more range, more knockdown. you'd have a more versatile gun that you could still use for the larger critters gettin in your trash bins anyway.

i bought a savage axis in .223 last april & it put 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards right out of the box (of course, your results may vary). considering they don't cost much more than a heavy barrelled 22 mag, that might not be a bad way to go.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1
a 22 mag will do a better job at 70ish yards, but maybe a .223 bolt gun would be the way to go. more bullet choices, more speed, more range, more knockdown. you'd have a more versatile gun that you could still use for the larger critters gettin in your trash bins anyway.

i bought a savage axis in .223 last april & it put 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards right out of the box (of course, your results may vary). considering they don't cost much more than a heavy barrelled 22 mag, that might not be a bad way to go.
What he said. A .22 mag is tons of fun to shoot (just costs a lot) but the .223 or .25-06 will do a great job at that yardage. I have never hunted coons nor have I hunted with a .22 mag, but I know the .223 has a good bit of power at that yardage and is just as much fun to shoot. Just my humble opinion.