.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 536 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Definitely get a single shot .22 bolt action. As a first gun they would be the safest. Unfortunately I didn't have a father to buy me my first gun, but I was lucky to have a couple of uncles that gave me my first and second gun. For X-Mas 1959 I was given a brand new Marlin Crown Prince bolt action single shot .22. I remember sleeping with it. My other uncle gave me shortly after his Stevens OU 22/410 with tenite stock mfg in the 1940's. Even with a decent size collection I cherish them both to this day even though they really belong to my son now. Hopefully I'll see that .22 Marlin being shot by my grandson in a few years. The Marlin has a Weaver V-22 scope mounted. Sorry for posting the Stevens as well, but they haven't been separated for 52 years.
.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles? - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion
.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles? - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 10-08-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #12

Well I am his mom so my son is in the same boat but I have asked his grandfather to give it to him. I'm just doing the leg work! It was more symbolic to me to have it from a man in his life. Old fashioned? Maybe.

The 4-H coach did mention a used Marlin that he had seen but when I went to the place it was gone. They have quite a few used .22 but yes the bolt action was the ideal suggestion. So as I go looking around I was hoping for suggestions since I can't really seem to find anything definite as far as reviews for a beginner .22 for him. I appreciate the suggestions and glad to see its at least a name I have had come up before!

My dad had an old Stevens we were going to try but the barrel was pitted badly. his I think is pre 1930's but I hope it will stay in the family at least as a piece of our history.

Again thanks for the response and I will keep checking for any other suggestions. My goal is by Christmas to have something!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

Liked 840 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Winchester or Remington would be my first choice for the full-size 22. I started with a Winchester model 67

Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ruger makes a bolt that is superb--has a rotary magazine though. Mine is a tack driver and am well pleased with it. You can pick up Win/Rem/Sav. single shots at pawn shops for $100-150. Check the ejectors carefully as that is the biggest wear item on them. Ask for their bore light and check the rifling also. The bolt should not have a lot of "slop" to it. Most were never "shot to death" but just be selective--lots of them out there.
sfixx Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10726 Times on 4642 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

Visit a local gun shop- look among the used Remingtons- but you will typically find MUCH better prices among the Savage, Springfield, Stevens, Marlin and Mossberg rifles.

Many are repeaters, but with a box magazine or tube fed. You can probably find a gently used adult sized .22 bolt gun for around $100. While Remingtons and Winchesters are great rifles, their prices are inflated by the fact that collectors are seeking specimens for their collections.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinRound

My dad had an old Stevens we were going to try but the barrel was pitted badly. his I think is pre 1930's but I hope it will stay in the family at least as a piece of our history.
Even with a pitted barrel, I'd take it to a Smith and find out if it's safe to shoot. My mosin has more pits than Lindsey Lohan has freckles, and they look like moon craters. I still hit cans at 100 yards easy.

That's of course if you don't mind shooting it. But having a wall hanger piece of history is always cool.

I'll have to get some pics of my grandad's old 6mm his brother brought home from Germany. Really cool history there.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #17

Liked 143 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Though I do have a soft spot for single shots... I think any bolt action would be OK as a first .22. I have seen many used single shots that were way more beat up then over shot. One I found must have been used as a toy because the stock was so bad but looking at the bolt, receiver and bore, I would say it was rarely if ever shot. $35 at a pawn shop, spent a Saturday on the stock and gave my boy a very nice looking and shooting first .22. That will probably be passed to his kid when the time comes. Sounds like your a great mom.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you can find one an old Stevens 15 or a 15-A or a 15-B would be perfect for your boy. It's just the right size for him and they are super accurate. I've seen them sell for $50 but lately it seems everyone wants $150 for them. I'd hold out for a good price if you can. They are worth the wait. They will be going strong 300 years from now IMO. There's nothing to go wrong on them.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Even with a pitted barrel, I'd take it to a Smith and find out if it's safe to shoot. My mosin has more pits than Lindsey Lohan has freckles, and they look like moon craters. I still hit cans at 100 yards easy.
I would give it a chance but his coach was against it. It needed some other care but that was the main issue I remember. My son loves it but if we ever inherit it I would look into using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
One I found must have been used as a toy because the stock was so bad but looking at the bolt, receiver and bore, I would say it was rarely if ever shot. $35 at a pawn shop, spent a Saturday on the stock and gave my boy a very nice looking and shooting first .22. That will probably be passed to his kid when the time comes. Sounds like your a great mom.
Well thank you! I have hear about pawn shops, I haven't thought to look there. I went to a gun shop near by but most were to high, even used. I wasn't sure if they were priced well or inflated since I don't have enough experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
If you can find one an old Stevens 15 or a 15-A or a 15-B would be perfect for your boy. It's just the right size for him and they are super accurate. I've seen them sell for $50 but lately it seems everyone wants $150 for them. I'd hold out for a good price if you can. They are worth the wait. They will be going strong 300 years from now IMO. There's nothing to go wrong on them.
I will keep looking. I have until Christmas but everyone here has been a great help with suggestions! We had an old Winchester that was in good shape but the owner didn't want to take any chances of anything happening to it so we are back looking. Thanks for all your suggestions! I will keep checking here in case anyone wants to add anything but you all have been a great help!

Last edited by LookinRound; 10-10-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #20

Liked 2483 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

If you do go to pawn shops and look at used .22 rifles, you can look for some different "store brand" guns as well. Marlin, Winchester, Savage, and others made rifles under different names for some of the big department and hardware chains. Wards had "Western Field", Sears had "J C Higgins", Western Auto had their own brand, etc.

My first .22 is a JC Higgins branded Marlin bolt action. Not a single shot as it has a detachable magazine. It is however, very accurate, and I've seen pawn shops with these same JC Higgins rifles sell them for right around $100 in excellent shape. A Marlin marked gun sitting next to one I saw was priced $35 higher.