.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 lr single shot bolt action rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .22 lr single shot bolt action rifles?

Wife fell in love with my friends old .22 single shot bolt action. looked around thinking of getting her an adult cricket, thankfully she wants the blue grey wood stock not the pink Anybody used these rifles any reviews or different suggestions would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I never heard of an adult Cricket. I didn't know they had one. I was thinking about buying a youth Circket for my 9 year old grand son. I'll probably do that this weekend. I do have 2 single shot 22's. I just purchased a Savage model 3. It's old but it's in nice shape. I couldn't pass on ti at a show about 3 weeks ago. It's a great rifle. I also have a DSM 34. That was the training rifle for the Mauser 98k. I traded some car parts for that back in the early 80's. That might be my favorite rifle. There are many great 22 rifles. Let us know how you make out.

spif

Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Ruger 10/22 isn't a single fire but you can pick them up relatively cheap and they are a great reliable gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #4

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Years ago I bought my son a Chipmunk(same as a Cricket) and it is a great rifle. Very light and shoots quite well.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Savage makes several single shots. Look up a Mark I G or if you really want nostalgia look at the 30G Stevens Favorite also by Savage. They also make a Rascal which is similar to the Cricket. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Go to rimfire and single shot in the gun browser.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Savage makes several single shots. Look up a Mark I G or if you really want nostalgia look at the 30G Stevens Favorite also by Savage. They also make a Rascal which is similar to the Cricket. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Go to rimfire and single shot in the gun browser.
Thanks for all the info guys. Savage looks nice but crickett is only bout $130.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If you could an older Remington 5 teen, they are great rifles.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert999 View Post
Wife fell in love with my friends old .22 single shot bolt action. looked around thinking of getting her an adult cricket, thankfully she wants the blue grey wood stock not the pink Anybody used these rifles any reviews or different suggestions would be appreciated.
I've got a Remington Model 580 single shot bolt gun I purchased from a pawn shop used for $100 out-the-door. Love the rifle to the point it'll end up in my estate. If I had to sell my .22's, I'd have to do a coin toss to see which gun would be sold last, my custom 10/22 or Model 580, with the understanding that if the Remington has to be sold before the 10/22, it'll be for $500 FIRM- even though the price is more than the rifle is really worth.

Shoots pretty good groups to 25 yards- isn't set up for 50 yards and beyond and haven't tried it at 50-= and can shoot ANY ammo I can chamber in the gun- short, long, and long rifle. With proper ammo, I've got more one-shot squirrel kills with this rifle than I have with all of my other .22's combined- one shot or more.

Have patience, keep the faith and leave the Cricket where it is and just keep looking. You'll eventually find what you really want and be happier with what you end up with.

Last edited by somawas; 04-05-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Add.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 04-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My wife loves our single shot .22. It's an old Ranger .22. It's very simple, fun, and non-threatening to shoot single shot rifles. If your gal wants a single-shot .22, move heaven and earth to get her one--even a pink one! Then she can have fun at the range with you. Just don't take over her decision, make sure she gets one that she likes and that fits her.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #10

I am looking for a single shot .22 rifle for my son. Hes getting into 4-H's shooting sports in March but he needs the gun first. Right now he's been using his pellet rifle for practice in the yard but I am overwhelmed at the options and don't know where to go to really get a good solid idea! He's 13 but he's about 5'8" and growing. So far he has used my uncles adult gun with no issues so if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate any help!