Is the .22 LR round useful for self-defense while using a pocket pistol? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Is the .22 LR round useful for self-defense while using a pocket pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #51
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

1st of all dump the HPs and Stingers. They either dont expand or dont penetrate. A 40 gr solid HV will penetrate a lot better. Some small pistols (Taurus PT22) will not handle hot loads. A Bereta 21 might. A 22 pistol has no where near the velocity and power of a 22 rifle. A 22 pistol is not a good choice unless it is an only choice. You better get very good with it if you decide to carry one. Plan on emptying the mag. At least 2 in the chest and go for the eyes. Multiple targets is something you dont even want to think about. Carry only top quality ammo. Change it frequently. Take enough rounds out of a new box to load your pistol and mags. Shoot the old rounds and the rest of the box then reload with the fresh rounds. If there are any failures with the new ammo, get a different box hopefully with a different lot number. Oil can kill your ammo so dont over oil the pistol. The pistol has to be totally reliable or it is useless. If it is prone to jamming, it is worthless.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #52

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default .22 lr

I shoot the aquilla super max .....they are bad news.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
1st of all dump the HPs and Stingers. They either dont expand or dont penetrate.
Au contraire mon frere...
Just a note, the stinger hollowpoint that my friend shot me with entered mid calf from the rear grazing the nerve chord to my foot which is between the Tibia (Shin bone) and the Fibulus (bone next to it) then smashed my Tibia from the rear blowing most of it off the front, then the bullet fragmented into a cluster the size of a lemon and is still in there.
just sayin..

Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #54
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Au contraire mon frere...
Just a note, the stinger hollowpoint that my friend shot me with entered mid calf from the rear grazing the nerve chord to my foot which is between the Tibia (Shin bone) and the Fibulus (bone next to it) then smashed my Tibia from the rear blowing most of it off the front, then the bullet fragmented into a cluster the size of a lemon and is still in there.
just sayin..
Exactly the point. If fragmented and did not penetrate sufficiently. You are going for a kill shot and it needs to penetrate into the vital organs not break up on the rib cage. A 22 pistol is all about penetration. If it doesnt reach a vital organ, it wont do the job. A rifle is another story.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.