Is the .22 LR round useful for self-defense while using a pocket pistol? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Is the .22 LR round useful for self-defense while using a pocket pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The lowly .22 is documented elsewhere as having killed more humans than any other caliber and possibly more than all the others added together. It has also taken game of all types, up to and including a very freakish incident back in the 60s with a .22 short target pistol providing a one shot kill on a charging bull elephant. [Up the optic nerve into the brain.] It was also the very first revolver cartridge available in the US and it was years before others appeared (due to other manufacturers having to wait years for S&Ws patent on bored through cylinders to expire). That being said, it is a poor choice for any animal much over 20 pounds. If not killed instantly, they tend to run away or charge and bite/gore/trample/stab, etc. Nothing in the statistic about how many humans it has killed addresses how quickly they died.

Literally the bullets can take weeks to kill as the wounds slowly fester and various infections set in. Before X-rays were common in hospitals finding the bullet inside the patient was an arduous task for a surgeon. The silly things tend to veer off on divergent directions from the external trajectory once inside skin or muscle. Hits on bone often result in internal ricochets in new directions if the bullet doesn't simply stop. Sometimes the bullet fragments and tiny little pieces of it get carried away to lodge elsewhere in the body. Thought kidney stones were painful? Try lead stones. Lead is a poison and the body tries different things to get rid of it, including encapsulation.

Years ago I kept a J-22 loaded with Stingers (the old HOT ones) with me as a last dance backup pistol. While it actually emerged from my pocket once or twice during scuffles, it never did discharge so I lack the first hand knowledge to tell ya how well they worked. However, I have ridden in ambulances with people who walked to the ambulance after being shot with a .22 and once or twice they later succumbed to the wounds in the hospital. I have also seen people who died at once. I also know some people who were hit with them and who lived just fine afterwards. Why did I shelf the .22 as a back-up piece? Aside from issues with the pistol itself, one year I was having a problem with something eating vegetables out of my garden. One day I looked and saw a big fat groundhog just chowing down on a new row of pea sprouts. I loaded a Stinger into a scoped Thompson Contender w/a .22 barrel and very carefully laid the crosshairs on his chest as he sat up watching me from about 30 yards away. Pow. Dead center hit. Little puff of dust and nice shockwave in the fur clearly visible in the scope right where it was aimed. He did a very nice instant backwards somersault and just took off running faster than I had ever seen a groundhog move. Into the woods and down into his hole. As I watched him simply run away as if I had merely thrown a stick towards him the realization crossed my mind this might not be the caliber of choice for a mammal 10 times the weight and possibly armed with a gun of their own. That was the end of my use of a .22.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Unload ten rounds, throw gun, haul ass lol.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

One day I plan on testing the penetration of various rounds including some CCI Stingers I have.

The .22lr is not made for self defense and should not be used as such unless it's all you have.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #14

Now; you can kill a large hog with one shot from a .22 long rifle bullet if you draw an imaginary "X" between its ears and eyes, then place the shot right in the center of the "X". He'll drop straight down in the pen where you've been feeding him for months.

B U T ! Shooting a charging wild Boar ~ He'll eat you and the gun.

As far as the self-defense method, its your life you're concerned about, not the attacker's, so get a big .45acp. for the job.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #15

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Remember that even though the .22 ammo box might say 130ft lbs at muzzle,that when you shoot that round through a pocket pistol,your looking at about only 75 ft lbs.Law enforcement uses rounds capable of 500 ft lbs,just to compare.Any round will kill if the vitals are hit,but 75 ft lbs is no where near enough energy to cause hydrostatic shock,so you better be good with that .22.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Every bullet is potentially lethal, difference is time and point of impact. A .45 hollow point in the chest at close range will drop you like a rock, a .22 may still kill you but it will take longer for you to bleed out.

Best defensive round is the one that ends the threat hard and fast...don't give the bad guy any extra time to get closer to you and do you harm is the bottom line. A dying man can still stick a knife in you, a dead one cannot.
Some our local police officers will take you to task about a 45 ACP at close range as being an instant stopper. An elderly getleman was shot 5 times at close range @5 yards with a 45 ACP using HP ammo before he finally put his gun down and sat in a chair and died while waiting for an ambulence.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #17

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
Some our local police officers will take you to task about a 45 ACP at close range as being an instant stopper. An elderly getleman was shot 5 times at close range @5 yards with a 45 ACP using HP ammo before he finally put his gun down and sat in a chair and died while waiting for an ambulence.
Ok...excluding point blank overpenetration isssues on senior citizens you still have a better chance of stopping someone with a .45 than a .22 before they can get to you.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #18

The .22 is definitly not a good self-defense weapon. Now yes, a .22 can certainly kill a person, but it will not incapacitate them quickly. They will likely still have enough in them to harm and/or kill you before they die. The .22 round simply does not do enough tissue and organ damage for expedient incapacitaion.

If you're looking for a decent self-defense pocket pistol, try a .380.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #19

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Imagine someone getting shot with a deer rifle.Even though the hole is small,the massive energy of 2,500 ft lbs is going to cause hydrostatic shock to everything in the body in a basketball-sized area-so even a gut shot can shut down the heart.In a large caliber handgun like a .45ACP,the hydrostatic shock might be more like the size of a softball,so any chest hit may cause incapacitation.In a .22,you have virtually no hydrostatic shock,so you would have to make a direct heart hit or head hit or something like that to make an instant stop.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #20

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 767

you could always dip your 22lr bullets in VX...its a cholinesterase inhibitor C11H26NO2PS prepared and stockpiled for use in chemical warfare as a nerve gas

but if for some reason you cant get your hands on any...(def dont wanna get it on ya hands)...or the better real world solution would be 45 ACP..nuff said