Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Is the .22 LR round useful for self-defense while using a pocket pistol? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-lr-round-useful-self-defense-while-using-pocket-pistol-24849/)

noobcrusher21 03-19-2010 01:38 AM

Is the .22 LR round useful for self-defense while using a pocket pistol?

Just wondering, would a .22 LR round [if it was an expanding hollow point boat tail round], be useful if it was used in a pocket pistol, at very close range? Could a .22 LR pocket pistol reliably take assailants down at a range of a few yards [i.e- no more than 10 yards, sometimes closer]?

canebrake 03-19-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobcrusher21 (Post 252004)
Just wondering, would a .22 LR round [if it was an expanding hollow point boat tail round], be useful if it was used in a pocket pistol, at very close range? Could a .22 LR pocket pistol reliably take assailants down at a range of a few yards [i.e- no more than 10 yards, sometimes closer]?

Boat tail 22? The 22lr is a heeled bullet, a boat tail would destabilize its seating. (Unless that's what you're calling a boat tail.)

It's the mobster's hit gun of choice.

I would NEVER trust my life to a 22lr pocket gun but I have several other options.

If it's all you can afford, save more money!

mudslinger79 03-19-2010 02:28 AM

Hit them in the eye, yes. A hyper velocity round such as the Aguila super max is good stuff. It's rated at 1750 fps and a solid 204 of energy. Plus if u dump ten rounds of that in someone that's a lot of ammo bouncing around in a person.

dunerunner 03-19-2010 02:31 AM

Oh, come on! You sneek up behind them and put one right behind the ear!

or, in a real gunfight; throw it at them and run like hell!!

mudslinger79 03-19-2010 02:37 AM

Lmao!!! The throw and run method! Love it. I will say a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with something else.

cpttango30 03-19-2010 03:37 AM

If you are out to Murder someone and don't want other people to hear. You burray that little pocket pistol right in their gut and shoot it, that might soften the muzzle blast.

If you want to throw I really think you should run away like this?

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-co.../09/queere.gif

Jpyle 03-19-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobcrusher21 (Post 252004)

Every bullet is potentially lethal, difference is time and point of impact. A .45 hollow point in the chest at close range will drop you like a rock, a .22 may still kill you but it will take longer for you to bleed out.

Best defensive round is the one that ends the threat hard and fast...don't give the bad guy any extra time to get closer to you and do you harm is the bottom line. A dying man can still stick a knife in you, a dead one cannot.

CA357 03-19-2010 05:25 AM

Think of it as an "Oh Sh*t!" gun. You empty it, yell Oh Sh*t! and start running.

It can also be an effective "Doctor's gun". (Eyes, ears, nose and throat) Those are the targets and you'd better hit 'em real good.

DonnyKC 03-21-2010 01:33 PM

To me it be better then nothing.. Just practice your head shots

c3shooter 03-21-2010 04:48 PM

It is called a Doctor Gun not because your TARGET is the ears eyes, nose and throat, it is because that is where your stick the BARREL before pulling the trigger! :D

The "One shot stop" percentage (OK- everyone that wants to bash the One Shot numbers, meet me at the bar, and we can club it to death) for a .22 LR is very small- about 21% of the shootings with 22LR resulted in one hit, anywhere on the torso, stopping the attacker. Let's put that in perspective-

Walking out of the local Stop & Rob, you are confronted by 5 goblins, armed with chains, knives, pointy sticks, and bowling balls. They demand your watch, wallet, virginity, and passwords to Level 4 of HALO. And tell you they are going to beat you with the bowling ball. So you whip out your handy dandy mini-revolver in 22, and blocking left to right, hit each one in the body with a shot. Your piece is now empty. FOUR of the 5 goblins are still standing there. Leaking, but still standing, Now rather pissed.

OK- so 4 of the 4 will die in 30 minutes from the leaking. I humbly submit that is likely to be immaterial to you, and the guys at the funeral home will have a hell of a time making you look pretty enough for an open coffin funeral.

Can a .22 pocket pistol kill someone? Oh, HELL yes. It just does a poor job of STOPPING them. Two totally different matters. It has been said by smarter folks than me that you need a BIG hole (or two) to let air in, blood out, or a wound cavity that destroyed enuff circulatory system/ nervous system that the body stops working QUICKLY.

Head shots? Sure- if it penetrates to the brain (check the actual muzzle velocity on that pocket pistol, and not just the manufacturer's data from a much longer barrel) and does enuff damage TO the brain, AND you can HIT a head shot in combat. Anyone that can show me notarized proof that he has made 3 or more headshots in combat with a handgun, I'll shake his hand, give him a dollar, call him sir, and buy him a beer. It is a LOT harder to do than you think.

Would a J-22 be more effective than, say, a nail file? Yes. Would it be my first choice for what will be a very serious event in my life? No way.