Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 LR Bolt Action Rifle Cleaning Kit - Recommendatin Please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 LR Bolt Action Rifle Cleaning Kit - Recommendatin Please!

Hi, as I mentioned in my other posts I just bought my 1st .22 LR bolt action rifle - CZ 452 Lux and intend to get a cleaning kit for it. Can you lists a few recommendations of quality cleaning kit?

I may want to get a bigger caliber .270 or .308 or 30-06 bolt action rifle (for hunting); a .22 LR pistol, .357 revoler and a 9mm semi-auto for target shooting in the future.

So is there a cleaning kit out there that fits my cleaning needs for all of these different calibers? Or, I'd better off buying 2 separate kits - one for rifles and the other for pistols.

Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

For the most part, any cleaning kit will do. My recommendation would be to get a bore snake along with any .22 cleaning kit. A bore snake makes cleaning the rifle bore go much, much faster. I have a snake for each caliber I own.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #3

Liked 208 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I don't believe in using the cleaning 'kits" myself. The cheap, sectioned, cleaning rods usually do more damage than good IMO.

My suggestion would be to buy a good one-piece cleaning rod and caliber specific bore brushes and jags as needed.

But like everything else, everyone has their own preferences.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I don't believe in using the cleaning 'kits" myself. The cheap, sectioned, cleaning rods usually do more damage than good IMO.

My suggestion would be to buy a good one-piece cleaning rod and caliber specific bore brushes and jags as needed.

But like everything else, everyone has their own preferences.
+1 on what High Power said.
F.K.
P.S. Remember Jags not slotted pull throughs.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #5

Default One piece cleaning rol - Length?

Thanks for all your comments. If I were going to get a one-piece cleaning rod, what length of the rod should it be? FYI, my CZ 452 Lux has a 24.6 inch barrel.

With regards to the caliber specific bore brush, is there one designed for cleaning rifles only? Or, they're universal types that can be used for both rifles and pistols.

Tanks.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Thanks for all your comments. If I were going to get a one-piece cleaning rod, what length of the rod should it be? FYI, my CZ 452 Lux has a 24.6 inch barrel.

With regards to the caliber specific bore brush, is there one designed for cleaning rifles only? Or, they're universal types that can be used for both rifles and pistols.

Tanks.
There are some snakes that are pistol snakes. They are typically too short for a rifle, or just barely long enough to get the pull through to grab hold of.

Any rifle snake will be more than long enough for a pistol.

Also in case you've never used one, the snake takes the place of the rod and patches. At the risk of being flamed, it is far superior to the rod and patches. I've tested it. I've run a bore snake through once, followed by a patch. The patch was clean as a whistle after one pass with the snake. The snake takes all of 10 seconds. The rod and patches will take you... well... depends on who much of a perfectionist you are.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 10-19-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Measure from the rear of receiver to the muzzle and then add about 6" to get your minimum length. It's best to clean the gun from the breach end whenever possible. (Remove the bolt from the rifle.) Most likely a 36" rod would work for you.

Cleaning rods: Shooting Supplies - Shop Everything for Your Firearm at MidwayUSA

Rifle brushes are longer than pistol brushes. You can get away with using a pistol brush to clean a rifle, but it's a problem trying to clean some pistols with a rifle brush.

Pistol: Shooting Supplies - Shop Everything for Your Firearm at MidwayUSA

Rifle: Shooting Supplies - Shop Everything for Your Firearm at MidwayUSA

Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Go with the snake ! If you can find a nylon rod that would also be good. These are getting harder to find for some reason ? It seems like everything that is good and works, they make difficult to get or stop making it alltogether. Forget Kmart/Walmart, only kits they have are Hoppes and Outers.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #9

Default Gun Oil and Gun Cleaning Solvent

Hi, thanks for all your suggestions.

What gun oil and gun cleaning solvent do I need to get? How and where do I apply them on the rifle/pistol? Can you recommend some good quality gun oil/gun cleaning solvent that are not abbrasive?

BTW, is the Carbon Fiber rod the same as a nylon one? How about using a boresnake in combination with a cleaning rod/bore brush?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

"G96" is a great cleaner and lub-protectant. I use the bore snake at the range and do a good cleaning after with a one piece cleaning rod and a jag.
After each pass one way with the patch I wipe the rod off to get any carbon or crud off before reiserting into the bore.
When ever posible go from breach to muzzel using some sort of breach protector rod guide. When this is not posible than go from the muzzel and use a bore guide or rod guide.
Any place that moves or turns should be oiled.
F.K

P.S.a 22 should not need the use bore solvent.

P.P.S. A carbon fiber rod is usualy totaly made of carbon fiber where as a nylon rod is usualy a steel rod covered in nylon. I am of the opinion that a carbon fiber rod will flex to much and may come into contact with the sides of the bore , where as a nylon coated steel rod will not flex as much.This is only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and a certain body part.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Last edited by Fisherking; 10-20-2010 at 12:38 PM.