Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 LR to .22 WMR question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 LR to .22 WMR question

Hey everyone, first off thanks for your time... anyways i currently have a semi auto .22lr but i want to purchase a bolt action .22 but i kinda want to try a .22 mag, besides the higher velocity and price of ammunition, i was wondering if it was worth it, and if it would be more accurate??? (obviously if they were shot out of the same model)

Thanks again,
Bainey

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

.22 LR ammo is either unjacketed, plain lead or "copper washed". LR bullets tend to fould up the actions fairly quickly. Accuracy tends to drop off when the fouling builds up. .22 mags are generally loaded with jacketed bullets. They do not foul the barrel as fast and keep the same level of accuracy with out cleaning for longer (more shots between cleanings). As far as accuracy, every rifle is different. Each will show a preference for a particular load. The mag will have more velocity and will be less succeptable to the wind. At ranges greater than 50 yds, the mag should be more accurate.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainey View Post
Hey everyone, first off thanks for your time... anyways i currently have a semi auto .22lr but i want to purchase a bolt action .22 but i kinda want to try a .22 mag, besides the higher velocity and price of ammunition, i was wondering if it was worth it, and if it would be more accurate??? (obviously if they were shot out of the same model)

Thanks again,
Bainey
I have a Marlin bolt action .22 Mag that is just as accurate as any of my .22 lr guns, but it only likes CCI ammo. Winchester HP ammo is far less accurate out of my gun. .22 Mag vel. is almost 1000fps faster than a .22LR of equal bullet weight. Hornady now makes 22mag ballistic tip ammo that boasts over 2200fps. 22 Mag ammo is about 4x more expensive than .22 LR. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting I would stick with the 22LR. Because of the cost of ammo, the 22 Mag is better suited to small game hunting, not plinking.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #4

I own a set of Winchester 9422's - One in 22 LR, and the other in 22 Mag. The magnum will give you another 15 to 20 yards of, '50 cent piece' accuracy. With the 22 LR I can work, precisely, at 75-80 yards; with the 22 Mag I can reach all the way out to 100 yards and put everything into a nice clean 2" circle. (Of course, I'm using Leupold optics!) With the right ammunition you can, 'bust dimes' with either rifle at 50 yards!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
I own a set of Winchester 9422's - One in 22 LR, and the other in 22 Mag. The magnum will give you another 15 to 20 yards of, '50 cent piece' accuracy. With the 22 LR I can work, precisely, at 75-80 yards; with the 22 Mag I can reach all the way out to 100 yards and put everything into a nice clean 2" circle. (Of course, I'm using Leupold optics!) With the right ammunition you can, 'bust dimes' with either rifle at 50 yards!

Wanna sell that 9422 Magnum? I am debating buying the Henry - problem with Henry is they ruin a fine gun with the best walnut and smoothest action you'll ever see, by putting plastic barrel bands and front sight on the damned thing! I have their 22LR Lever gun and it is a tack driver, but those stupid plastic bands/sight just make it seem so cheap.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I have their 22LR Lever gun and it is a tack driver, but those stupid plastic bands/sight just make it seem so cheap.
They sell a brass barrel band. Do you have the regular blued? I just checked mine, I was sure the front sight hood was metal! It seems to match well enough though.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
They sell a brass barrel band. Do you have the regular blued? I just checked mine, I was sure the front sight hood was metal! It seems to match well enough though.
I have the blued Model H001. The sight hood is metal, but the base it slides onto as well as the blade, is plastic.. I was tempted to call Henry and see if they sell barrel bands made of steel -

Old 08-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .22 mag

I'm a huge fan of the .22 mag. In my kimber i can keep all shots well within sub moa. That gives me an effective range of a solid 150 yards. Also,1 thing I found out is a "solid" fmj bullet from a .22 mag performs and leaves exactly same wound channel as a hv .22lr hp,but with more penetration and range.