Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22 LR to .22 WMR question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-lr-22-wmr-question-5933/)

bainey 07-30-2008 12:52 PM

.22 LR to .22 WMR question
 
Hey everyone, first off thanks for your time... anyways i currently have a semi auto .22lr but i want to purchase a bolt action .22 but i kinda want to try a .22 mag, besides the higher velocity and price of ammunition, i was wondering if it was worth it, and if it would be more accurate??? (obviously if they were shot out of the same model)

Thanks again,
Bainey

robocop10mm 07-30-2008 01:38 PM

.22 LR ammo is either unjacketed, plain lead or "copper washed". LR bullets tend to fould up the actions fairly quickly. Accuracy tends to drop off when the fouling builds up. .22 mags are generally loaded with jacketed bullets. They do not foul the barrel as fast and keep the same level of accuracy with out cleaning for longer (more shots between cleanings). As far as accuracy, every rifle is different. Each will show a preference for a particular load. The mag will have more velocity and will be less succeptable to the wind. At ranges greater than 50 yds, the mag should be more accurate.

RL357Mag 07-30-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainey (Post 34096)
Hey everyone, first off thanks for your time... anyways i currently have a semi auto .22lr but i want to purchase a bolt action .22 but i kinda want to try a .22 mag, besides the higher velocity and price of ammunition, i was wondering if it was worth it, and if it would be more accurate??? (obviously if they were shot out of the same model)

Thanks again,
Bainey

I have a Marlin bolt action .22 Mag that is just as accurate as any of my .22 lr guns, but it only likes CCI ammo. Winchester HP ammo is far less accurate out of my gun. .22 Mag vel. is almost 1000fps faster than a .22LR of equal bullet weight. Hornady now makes 22mag ballistic tip ammo that boasts over 2200fps. 22 Mag ammo is about 4x more expensive than .22 LR. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting I would stick with the 22LR. Because of the cost of ammo, the 22 Mag is better suited to small game hunting, not plinking.

G21.45 07-30-2008 09:55 PM

:) I own a set of Winchester 9422's - One in 22 LR, and the other in 22 Mag. The magnum will give you another 15 to 20 yards of, '50 cent piece' accuracy. With the 22 LR I can work, precisely, at 75-80 yards; with the 22 Mag I can reach all the way out to 100 yards and put everything into a nice clean 2" circle. (Of course, I'm using Leupold optics!) With the right ammunition you can, 'bust dimes' with either rifle at 50 yards! ;)

RL357Mag 07-31-2008 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G21.45 (Post 34160)
:) I own a set of Winchester 9422's - One in 22 LR, and the other in 22 Mag. The magnum will give you another 15 to 20 yards of, '50 cent piece' accuracy. With the 22 LR I can work, precisely, at 75-80 yards; with the 22 Mag I can reach all the way out to 100 yards and put everything into a nice clean 2" circle. (Of course, I'm using Leupold optics!) With the right ammunition you can, 'bust dimes' with either rifle at 50 yards! ;)


Wanna sell that 9422 Magnum? I am debating buying the Henry - problem with Henry is they ruin a fine gun with the best walnut and smoothest action you'll ever see, by putting plastic barrel bands and front sight on the damned thing! I have their 22LR Lever gun and it is a tack driver, but those stupid plastic bands/sight just make it seem so cheap.

ScottG 07-31-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 34206)
I have their 22LR Lever gun and it is a tack driver, but those stupid plastic bands/sight just make it seem so cheap.

They sell a brass barrel band. Do you have the regular blued? I just checked mine, I was sure the front sight hood was metal! It seems to match well enough though.

RL357Mag 08-01-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottG (Post 34302)
They sell a brass barrel band. Do you have the regular blued? I just checked mine, I was sure the front sight hood was metal! It seems to match well enough though.

I have the blued Model H001. The sight hood is metal, but the base it slides onto as well as the blade, is plastic.. I was tempted to call Henry and see if they sell barrel bands made of steel -

stalkingbear 08-02-2008 06:29 PM

.22 mag
 
I'm a huge fan of the .22 mag. In my kimber i can keep all shots well within sub moa. That gives me an effective range of a solid 150 yards. Also,1 thing I found out is a "solid" fmj bullet from a .22 mag performs and leaves exactly same wound channel as a hv .22lr hp,but with more penetration and range.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.