Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 Long Rifle Ammo where are you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 22 Long Rifle Ammo where are you?

Can someone give some explanation to the 22LR shortage? I have heard so many different versions, and scare theories, etc.
The 22 long Rifles show up at the local big sporting goods retailers, and sells out in minutes, waiting in long lines, etc. Paying sometimes $5.50 for a box of 50 rounds.
Online the price is jumping up to nearly $100 per brick.
I found a couple bricks on Gunbroker and bought at $50@ so I have some supply.
Ideas of why? and is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know it's hard to do....But don't pay these high prices for ammo, it will only prolong the pain. Stand your ground and shoot less and wait it out. I know it hurts but we all need to stand together on this. Rushing to the ammo store and buying everything in sight will only feed the monster more and more. Everyone needs to calm down and relax, we will get through this. If people keep buying ammo at inflated prices our days in this sport are numbered. And the people who are inflating the prices....Never ever forget who they are and refuse to do business with them forever!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsanford View Post
Can someone give some explanation to the 22LR shortage? I have heard so many different versions, and scare theories, etc.
The 22 long Rifles show up at the local big sporting goods retailers, and sells out in minutes, waiting in long lines, etc. Paying sometimes $5.50 for a box of 50 rounds.
Online the price is jumping up to nearly $100 per brick.
I found a couple bricks on Gunbroker and bought at $50@ so I have some supply.
Ideas of why? and is there light at the end of the tunnel?
Just relax and roll with it. Stop even looking for it for a while. If it's meant to be, it'll calm down and in 12 to 24 months, there should be plenty on the shelves again.

All this hysteria is causing the problem.

Keep doing what you're doing if $500 per brick is your goal.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

It's getting easier and easier to find it at reasonable prices. I've bought 3 bricks the past 2 weeks. It was $23.99 per brick. Just gotta be patient and refuse to spend over .05 a round

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cabelas had stacks of mini mags. Got 2 but they limit you to one per customer

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

PalmettoStateArmory...Federal 745 525 Round Can 22.99

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hoarding is rampant. People are buying it up hoping to make profits from the shortages. Walmart employees are calling friends and family before they stock the shelves.
Like the other post just hold off. The supplies will catch up with demands. These "Vultures" will be stuck with .22 ammo they can not profit from.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #8

Liked 142 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
PalmettoStateArmory...Federal 745 525 Round Can 22.99

=8-)
I was too slow and its gone. Oh well maybe next time.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
It's really fairly simple. It's called supply and demand. Let's start with manufacturing. There are only so many manufacturers out there, and their production capacity is set. Along comes talks about a gun ban, increased ammo taxes, and ammo purchasing limits. Everybody wants to stock up before ammo gets expensive, and the .22 long is probably one of the more popular calibers out there. Even grandma has one on that closet shelf somewhere. Add in that regular shooters like us still want to practice, but have a hard time justifying the increased price of defensive caliber ammo, and the demand for .22lr goes even higher.

So what happens? The shooters and gun owners all run down to the LGS to buy some ammo. Soon the LGS runs out, and tries to order more. In fact, based on recent sales they want to increase their order. This makes the warehouse sell out. The warehouse calls the manufacturer, who by now has also sold out, but is making as much as they can as quickly as they can.

So now we have the LGS and the warehouse knowing they can sell as much as they can get, and also knowing they won't get as much as they have a demand for. They are faced with a dilemma. There are only two ways to maintain an inventory, and without inventory they have nothing to sell. With nothing to sell they have no income, so they have to do one of the two things. The first way is to put a ration on ammo sales so everybody can get some, but nobody is happy. The other way is to sell whatever they can get at a price high enough to keep them open when inventory runs out. This method makes at least some of the people happy. In order to sustain profitability as long as they can, they jack the price as high as they can and still sell the product. Does it work? Yes, but note what I said about raising the price as high as they can and still maintain sales.

As long as we are willing to pay the price, they will keep the price right there. When we stop paying what they are asking the price will go down. The supply will catch up to the demand and they will no longer be able to screw us.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
Just relax and roll with it. Stop even looking for it for a while. If it's meant to be, it'll calm down and in 12 to 24 months, there should be plenty on the shelves again.

All this hysteria is causing the problem.

Keep doing what you're doing if $500 per brick is your goal.
Well said!