Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   22 long rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-long-rifle-54402/)

CSDFIREARMS1 12-30-2011 03:51 PM

22 long rifle

What is the best ammo for my marlin 60 looking for something that dont make such a mess in my gun everytime i fire it looking for a cleaner ammo

Jkl-28 12-30-2011 05:30 PM

I like to use CCI... I think their ammo is a good quality ammo and shoots pretty clean, I like to use something with that's got a full copper jacket rather than the lead unjacketed ammo cuz it feeds better on a semi-auto weapon

dks7895 12-30-2011 08:40 PM

My Marlin 60SB likes the Federal bulk packs. CCI is great but kinda pricey. We'll burn through a brick in no time. When it's time to clean my Marlin 60SB, I pull it from the stock, blast it with brake cleaner, then blast with compressed air. A quick shot of Break Free CLP then wipe it all down. The stock gets a coat of Pledge furniture polish and it's ready to go.

007BondJamesBond007 12-30-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dks7895 (Post 663064)
My Marlin 60SB likes the Federal bulk packs. CCI is great but kinda pricey. We'll burn through a brick in no time. When it's time to clean my Marlin 60SB, I pull it from the stock, blast it with brake cleaner, then blast with compressed air. A quick shot of Break Free CLP then wipe it all down. The stock gets a coat of Pledge furniture polish and it's ready to go.

I use Federal bulk in my Marlin. I found you might have to shoot 250-500 rounds
to break the gun in. On 22 rifles and pistols they do not smooth the burrs as good as they on high end guns. The more I shoot it the better it got.

Don't knock the Federal Bulk pack ammo. We tested with a Ruger on a Ransom rest and it shot tighter groups then the high priced target ammo.

jpattersonnh 12-30-2011 10:42 PM

CCI mini mag, if you are serious about hitting every shot. Aguila does very well for cheaper ammo. Dirty kills accuracy, that is what cheap ammo is. DIRTY.
.22lr ammo is lead, it will not take anything off, such as burrs.

MidnightExpress 12-30-2011 11:32 PM

The CCI Blazer and Mini-Mag run relatively clean compared to some others. I think the Aguila was pretty clean too when I shot it. Not the Sniper Sub Sonic, that was crap. The red and yellow box. I'll try to find it if you're interested in the Aguila. I haven't had a chance to try the Federal bulk or the Winchester 333 & 555 yet.

Any ammo in a semi-auto is going to be dirty and rimfire is usually dirtier than centerfire, even the cleaner burning CCI. The key to keeping a 60 somewhat clean is to use very light oil or dry lube in the action. I can fire a whole 550 brick of Remington Golden Bullets without any problems if I take it easy on the oil. It's still dirty when I clean it but I don't have the type of malfunctions I got when I over oiled a couple of times.

I've been using EEZOX on the internals and so far it's been much easier to clean. I wipe it on with a Q-Tip let it dry a few minutes, then wipe off the excess. So far it's been doing well. A few thousand rounds through without any trouble or noticeable wear..

big shrek 12-31-2011 02:10 AM

Avoid Remington ammo completely.

CCI & Federal Automatch I'm rather fond of.

Wolf Match is dirty & stinky, but danged precise.

CSDFIREARMS1 12-31-2011 02:51 AM

I have the winchester 555 now and befor that was using the remington thunderbolt 22 ...... have found remington is junk ammo the winchester i have already found 2 duds out of the 50 ive shot (not real impressed ) but seems to be acurate

CSDFIREARMS1 12-31-2011 02:54 AM

I may be using too much oil may be a big part of my problem ill try ur break cleaner thanks

big shrek 12-31-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSDFIREARMS1 (Post 663358)
I may be using too much oil may be a big part of my problem ill try ur break cleaner thanks

ONE drop of oil, on your fingertip, applied all over the action & then air-dried before re-assembly.
ONE drop on the bolt & interior receiver housing & then air-dried...

That's ALL the oil you need on a Marlin 60/795 :)

Also, search for "Ejector Wire Gauge for Marlin 60"...invaluable info on why some seem to get funky on ejection.