22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

New air rifles have excess oil in them and will be loud until the oil is shot out. Some air rifles are equipped with supressors and they are legal and do work as long as the velocity is subsonic meaning use lead pellets not PBA. The air rifles can be deadly on pests.
I have used the CB caps in my garage for target shooting and getting a 22 on paper. I have had no complaints so far. I have a good bullet trap. They are louder in a pistol though. There is a really nice suppressed Ruger 10/22 over at the gun shop $$$$.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 42.6" barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Hi, I heard the CZ 452 has an European style tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. CZ 452 has a 42.6 inch barrel. I was told by CZ that any subsonic ammo is not recommended for CZ 452.
I don't think you need worry about the ammo, just poke them with the barrel.
(Overall length is 42.6).

Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I remember this one time at band camp,
I saw someone fasten a used water bottle onto a gun & cut the end off & stuffed the bottle with a sponge. Unfortunately anyone (unlicensed) trying anything that causes a gun to become quieter in this manner can receive a 10yr ride in jail & a magical $250,000 fine

Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #14

Liked 702 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I got a brick of Hummingbirds a year or so ago.

Cabela's Agulia .22 LR Super Colibri Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

I love it. It wont eject from a semi auto so I only use it in the bolt actions.
Not speaking from experience here (because I believe that the governments rules on silencers are ultra-respectable), but from what I've been told, if you cut about a one inch circle out of the base of a 20 oz. plastic soda bottle, add no foam to the inside of the bottle; just keep it empty, and wrap enough electrical tape over the end of the barrel that the bottle will push on and hold solid... it's so quiet that you can hear the firing pin hit clearly.
It's not the strongest ammo by a long shot but will kills squirrels and rabbits at 35 yards with a head shot.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #15

Default Colibri Agulia 20 grain ammo arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I got a brick of Hummingbirds a year or so ago.

Cabela's Agulia .22 LR Super Colibri Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

I love it. It wont eject from a semi auto so I only use it in the bolt actions.
Not speaking from experience here (because I believe that the governments rules on silencers are ultra-respectable), but from what I've been told, if you cut about a one inch circle out of the base of a 20 oz. plastic soda bottle, add no foam to the inside of the bottle; just keep it empty, and wrap enough electrical tape over the end of the barrel that the bottle will push on and hold solid... it's so quiet that you can hear the firing pin hit clearly.
It's not the strongest ammo by a long shot but will kills squirrels and rabbits at 35 yards with a head shot.
I just received the Colibri Agulia 20 grain 22 l.r. ammo today and put 5 rounds into the magzine. It won't be pushed in the receiver by the bolt since the bullet is much shorter than the 22 l.r. I'll have to manual feed it. As a result, I won't be able to use the magzine the way it should be. Instead, I can still put 5 rounds into the mag. and after each shot, manually feed the next round. The cartriage will eject without any problems.

I'll go the range tomorrow to test shot the ammo with my CZ 452.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #16

Default Be careful with Colibri in rifle's

I use the Colibri's all the time "silent" pest control out of my Winchester 290 and they work very well. My only warning is that occasionally one will get stuck in the barrel and if you shoot again you will get a mess stuck down your barrel. I had a guy at the gun store tell me about someone who had 8 bullets stuck in his barrel before he noticed nothing was going thru! If you have a dud you can generally hear it as a dull thud.
That is the only problem with them, they are deadly silent for small pests. I wouldn't try shooting anything much bigger than a squirrel or a rabbit though as they really don't have that much weight or velocity.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #17

Default It didn't work with my CZ 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbrentm View Post
I use the Colibri's all the time "silent" pest control out of my Winchester 290 and they work very well. My only warning is that occasionally one will get stuck in the barrel and if you shoot again you will get a mess stuck down your barrel. I had a guy at the gun store tell me about someone who had 8 bullets stuck in his barrel before he noticed nothing was going thru! If you have a dud you can generally hear it as a dull thud.
That is the only problem with them, they are deadly silent for small pests. I wouldn't try shooting anything much bigger than a squirrel or a rabbit though as they really don't have that much weight or velocity.
I shot 5 rounds with my CZ 452 today. None of the bullets hit the target, which is 25 yards away. Two out of 5 bullets got stuck inside the barrel. I used boresnake to clear the barrel everytime I made a shot.

I just didn't work on my CZ 452. Now I'm stuck with 500 rounds of Colibri ammo. Is there any remedy to it? Could I sand the bullet to make it a bit smaller in diameter so that it'll exit the barrel. Or, it's just the primer that is not powerful enough to propel the bullet out of my 24.6 inch barrel. BTW, as I mentioned CZ has a tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. barrels.

Can someone help? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
I shot 5 rounds with my CZ 452 today. None of the bullets hit the target, which is 25 yards away. Two out of 5 bullets got stuck inside the barrel. I used boresnake to clear the barrel everytime I made a shot.

I just didn't work on my CZ 452. Now I'm stuck with 500 rounds of Colibri ammo. Is there any remedy to it? Could I sand the bullet to make it a bit smaller in diameter so that it'll exit the barrel. Or, it's just the primer that is not powerful enough to propel the bullet out of my 24.6 inch barrel. BTW, as I mentioned CZ has a tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. barrels.

Can someone help? Thanks.
Get some Super Colibris. The Colibris are designed for handguns, I believe, but I've shot 3 or 4 bricks through rifles with no problem. The Super Colibris are faster.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8698 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

BF- find someone that has a bolt action AMERICAN rifle, and do some horse trading with those 500 rounds. You have a long tight barrel, and the primer only propulsion system runs out of steam before it runs out of barrel. Did you read on the Colibri box the part about not using them in rifles?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
BF- find someone that has a bolt action AMERICAN rifle, and do some horse trading with those 500 rounds. You have a long tight barrel, and the primer only propulsion system runs out of steam before it runs out of barrel. Did you read on the Colibri box the part about not using them in rifles?
Thanks all for your suggestions.

I do intend to get a 22 caliber handgun - a Ruger MKIII with 5.5" barrel in a few months and wonder if anyone has ever shot the Colibri with the Ruger. Maybe I can use these ammo with my pistol.