Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter?

Can you recommend a subsonic ammo that is quiet for backyard pest control? The regular 22 l.r. ammo is too loud for backyard shooting. Never shot with subsonic ammo.

Is subsonic ammo much quieter than the regular 22 l.r.? How does it compare to the noise made by airgun (i.e. .22 pellets shots)?

I hope there're some quality and quiet subsonic ammos out there. Or, I may have to get an airgun for that purpose.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

I use CCI CB's...makes about as much noise as a pellet gun.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Go get a pack of CCI CB Longs. They have the dimensions of a 22 LR, so they feed easier (by hand in most autoloaders) and are EXTREMELY quiet- I have louder air rifles. The quietest I have tried is the Aguilla Colibri. This is a 20 grain bullet, no powder, small primer. You will hear the firing pin. However, the CB Long has more authority when dealing with possums, coons, etc.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I picked up a box of CB LR Subsonics at Gander for $6.99 the other day. Not quiet enough for normal backyard use but easily half the noise of a regular round. They might be quiet enough depending on how far the neighbors are.

I picked them up to try squirrel hunting.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have a squirrel, chipmunk, rabit over population problem in my yard. I bought a \Crossman Phantom at Walmart for $80 because my Daisys weren't adaquate. I am amazed at the accuracy and power it has. The first time I shot it the noise shocked me but after about a dozen shots it got to an acceptable level. The rodent problem has been soundly addressed. I know there are higher quality air guns but I can't immagine them being much more accurate.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 11-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #6

Default Aguilla Colibri 20 grain bullet - what's range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Go get a pack of CCI CB Longs. They have the dimensions of a 22 LR, so they feed easier (by hand in most autoloaders) and are EXTREMELY quiet- I have louder air rifles. The quietest I have tried is the Aguilla Colibri. This is a 20 grain bullet, no powder, small primer. You will hear the firing pin. However, the CB Long has more authority when dealing with possums, coons, etc.
Thanks all for your inputs. I'll try both and hopefully, they're quiet enough for my neighbors.

Is the Aguilla Colibri powerful enough for 30 yard to 100 yards shot? If it doesn't have any powder in it, what drives the bullet? By the primer?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

Default CZ 452 Lux and Aguilla Colibri powderless ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hi, I heard the CZ 452 has an European style tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. Due to the low muzzle velocity of Aguilla Colibri ammo, will the bullet jam inside the barrel? CZ 452 has a 42.6 inch barrel. I was told by CZ that any subsonic ammo is not recommended for CZ 452.

Have anyone shot the Aguilla Colibri 20 grain powderless ammo in a CZ 452 rifle? Or any subsonic ammo in a CZ 452?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Just get some Aguila or CCI .22lr sub sonic ammo and call it a day. Both shoot very well. They both cycle the action on my Model 60 also. When you pull the trigger on a 22" bolt gun, the hammer dropping is louder than the report. A cap gun is louder.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I've used the Colibri's and Super Colibri's for years. 30 yards, no problem. Farther than that they fall short.

Extremely accurate. I've used them on lots of rats and a couple of possums. One shot does it every time. And very quiet.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1765

Default Back Yard Fun!!

Go with a 22 cal. short. Tape a Nipple from a baby bottlle on the end of the barrel. make sure you have a hole in the nipple. this should do the trick.