Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-l-r-subsonic-ammo-backyard-pest-control-quieter-34090/)

bf109 11-07-2010 11:57 PM

22 l.r. Subsonic Ammo for Backyard Pest Control - Which is Quieter?

Can you recommend a subsonic ammo that is quiet for backyard pest control? The regular 22 l.r. ammo is too loud for backyard shooting. Never shot with subsonic ammo.

Is subsonic ammo much quieter than the regular 22 l.r.? How does it compare to the noise made by airgun (i.e. .22 pellets shots)?

I hope there're some quality and quiet subsonic ammos out there. Or, I may have to get an airgun for that purpose.

Thanks.

quigleysharps4570 11-08-2010 12:11 AM

I use CCI CB's...makes about as much noise as a pellet gun.

c3shooter 11-08-2010 12:14 AM

Go get a pack of CCI CB Longs. They have the dimensions of a 22 LR, so they feed easier (by hand in most autoloaders) and are EXTREMELY quiet- I have louder air rifles. The quietest I have tried is the Aguilla Colibri. This is a 20 grain bullet, no powder, small primer. You will hear the firing pin. However, the CB Long has more authority when dealing with possums, coons, etc.

aandabooks 11-08-2010 01:11 AM

I picked up a box of CB LR Subsonics at Gander for $6.99 the other day. Not quiet enough for normal backyard use but easily half the noise of a regular round. They might be quiet enough depending on how far the neighbors are.

I picked them up to try squirrel hunting.

dteed4094 11-08-2010 02:25 PM

I have a squirrel, chipmunk, rabit over population problem in my yard. I bought a \Crossman Phantom at Walmart for $80 because my Daisys weren't adaquate. I am amazed at the accuracy and power it has. The first time I shot it the noise shocked me but after about a dozen shots it got to an acceptable level. The rodent problem has been soundly addressed. I know there are higher quality air guns but I can't immagine them being much more accurate.

bf109 11-08-2010 03:06 PM

Aguilla Colibri 20 grain bullet - what's range?

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 382375)
Go get a pack of CCI CB Longs. They have the dimensions of a 22 LR, so they feed easier (by hand in most autoloaders) and are EXTREMELY quiet- I have louder air rifles. The quietest I have tried is the Aguilla Colibri. This is a 20 grain bullet, no powder, small primer. You will hear the firing pin. However, the CB Long has more authority when dealing with possums, coons, etc.

Thanks all for your inputs. I'll try both and hopefully, they're quiet enough for my neighbors.

Is the Aguilla Colibri powerful enough for 30 yard to 100 yards shot? If it doesn't have any powder in it, what drives the bullet? By the primer?

bf109 11-10-2010 09:19 PM

CZ 452 Lux and Aguilla Colibri powderless ammo

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 382375)

Hi, I heard the CZ 452 has an European style tighter barrel than typical American 22 l.r. Due to the low muzzle velocity of Aguilla Colibri ammo, will the bullet jam inside the barrel? CZ 452 has a 42.6 inch barrel. I was told by CZ that any subsonic ammo is not recommended for CZ 452.

Have anyone shot the Aguilla Colibri 20 grain powderless ammo in a CZ 452 rifle? Or any subsonic ammo in a CZ 452?

Thanks.

jpattersonnh 11-10-2010 10:16 PM

Just get some Aguila or CCI .22lr sub sonic ammo and call it a day. Both shoot very well. They both cycle the action on my Model 60 also. When you pull the trigger on a 22" bolt gun, the hammer dropping is louder than the report. A cap gun is louder.

M14sRock 11-11-2010 01:39 AM

I've used the Colibri's and Super Colibri's for years. 30 yards, no problem. Farther than that they fall short.

Extremely accurate. I've used them on lots of rats and a couple of possums. One shot does it every time. And very quiet.

willshoum 11-11-2010 01:49 AM

Back Yard Fun!!

Go with a 22 cal. short. Tape a Nipple from a baby bottlle on the end of the barrel. make sure you have a hole in the nipple. this should do the trick.:)