Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Which .22 for a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

ruger 10/22 hands down the best .22 that you can buy

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Single shot bolt action rifle in 22lr. I had a Chipmunk they were very high quality and shot great. Unfortunatly Chipmunks are not made anymore.

Keystone makes the Crickett. It is ok but in my viewit is not as good as a chipmunk. You can find chipmunks on Guns America and Gun Broker still. The big plus to the Crickett is it comes in many different colors and blued or stainless. http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifle/crickettrifle.html

remington makes a youth model 5 Savage also makes a youth model 22lr and you have heard of the Mossberg plinkster which comes as either a semiauto (Model 702)or a bolt action (Model 802).

The one thing you must remember is that the crickett and the chipmunk have NO SAFETY. Now you have to manualy pull the bolt to the rear to cock it. Some people do not like this feature but I think it is a good feature because most of the time it is too hard for a child to cock it. This makes the parent and or adult on site do nothing but moniter the child shooting.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #13

I really appreciate all the input. I've changed my mind on what to get him for his first firearm. I was looking at the Ruger 10/22, but I want him to take his time and focus on shot placement and trigger pull. I've decided to get the Mossberg Plinkster bolt action .22. It's a single shot with a detachable magazine. You can also purchase additional magazines with higher capacity. We can always move up to a semi-auto in a couple of years. Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #14

Default 1969 Romanian .22 Training Rifle

Now that you have made your decision let me throw another option into the pot. Both my boys started with a Romanian 1969 training rifle. I have one for myself also. These rifles are accurate, are bolt action (very easy to clean) and have a 5 rnd clip (makes it a lot more fun in the long run). The rife has a scope rail built in and a cleaning kit trap door in the butt stock. The flip up sights make changes in target distance easy to sight in. I like the rifes too because they have some history to them and best of all you can get them for $75 - $150 each.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #15

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Single shot bolt-action ALL THE WAY!

There is a nice variety of Kid's sized rifles available in .22 at Very Low Prices. Any decent gunshop should be stocked.