.22 High velocity rounds for blowback ejection - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 High velocity rounds for blowback ejection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The TP22 was actually designed to be used with Stingers. I bought my I.J. brand new many years ago and it will jam once in a while with standard velocity rounds. However, run Stingers through it and you will quickly notice how much better the little pistol operates.

This is turning out to be quite an interesting forum. I never dreamed I'd be addressing a question pertaining to a little pistol I shoot several times a year.

Bear

Last edited by BearTaylor; 03-14-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #12

Bear, Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of trying different ammo - different weight & velocity. If you still have your original paper work with the TP 22 does it state the velocity of the gun and the ammo to be used ? CCI minimag , up to now , seems to work the best. I am a little shy to try out the heavy load of the stinger. A couple guys at a local gun show told me to stay away from stingers. Being new to CCW choosing the TP 22 as a practice gun I want to make sure I'm using the right stuff .

Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure if I still have the original paperwork but you really didn't get that kind of load info with a new gun anyway . I don't know what those fellows at the gun show know or don't know but CCI Stingers have been manufactured for many years and I've yet to meet a modern era .22 pistol or rifle that can't safely handle them. If that were true my little TP22 would have been destroyed years ago. As far as the minimags are concerned I too have used them. They are cheaper to shoot than the Stingers.

I recently purchased two boxes of CCI's Velocitor Hypervelocity 40 grain copper plated hollow point rounds rated at 1435 fps. They're designed to be used on small game but at $6.30 for a box of fifty I won't make a habit of using them for target practice.

I bet you can guess which gun will be used test out the new ammo. If you say the TP22 you're right.

What do you use as a carry gun? I hope you carry a service caliber as opposed to a .22, .25 auto, .32 auto or .380 auto. The .380 is the best of the mouseguns but it's marginal even with great ammo. The .25 auto is the worst of the lot.

Later------------Bear

Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #14

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I remember when Stingers first came out they had a warning on the box not to use them in semi autos. I tried some in a Marlin model 25 and accuracy was so bad I never tried anymore.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #15

Bear, I also have a Beretta 950 jetfire .25 , and a Kel Tec PF 9 9mm . Hopfully going to the range this week to try out new loads in the TP 22. Will get back with findings. Many thanks for the ongoing info. If you have anymore "helpful hints" using and caring for the TP 22 please let me know. Thanks , 6shot

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 1930 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Some of the semi-autos specifically state that Stingers should not be used (the 10-22 for example). The case length is a little longer than the other .22's and may not seal in the chamber correctly when fired.

Read the owner's manual (most can be downloaded from the net).

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did some checking on that case length issue and it does appear that some semiauto and match grade firearms have a problem with the long case. My Winchester and Marlin lever rifles, Winchester pump rifle, Marlin semiauto rifles, Savage semiauto rifle, Heritage revolver, LLama semiauto handgun, High Standard semiauto handgun and of course the Iver Johnson will cycle the round but accuracy will vary from firearm to firearm. Part of the variation just might be the result of the case length-not necessarily the bullet jumping the grooves.

Now days I just run Stingers in the old TP22--I don't like spending money on special ammunition if I don't need to. However, if the Velocitor ammo is more accurate and cycles good then the Stingers might be toast.

Very interesting------------------Bear

Last edited by BearTaylor; 03-15-2011 at 05:20 PM.