.22 High velocity rounds for blowback ejection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 High velocity rounds for blowback ejection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 High velocity rounds for blowback ejection

I have a Iver Johnson TP 22 and the guy I got it from was the original owner who only used "stingers". Will this gun work OK with regular 22 LR ? What other type Mini Mags or High Velocity rounds can you recommend that would work as well as the Stinger load ? Thanks for your time and input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #2

Wildcat is pretty cheap high-velocity ammo IIRC, but don't quote me as it's been a while. Blazer, CCI's budget-brand, is pretty cheap too, and I think there's a brand called Tracer that makes a high-velocity 22 cartridge available in bulk. I think Cabela's sells it.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll look into those types.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1967 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Aguila has hyper velocity ammo also. CCI Velocitors are 40gr @ 1400+fps in a rifle. Dont know about pistol velocity.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5641 Times on 2948 Posts
Likes Given: 372

the blazer is supposed to be identical to the minimag with the exception of the bullet being a cheaper to produce non-plated lead rn.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #6

Heck, it should work fine and probably even be more accurate with just standard velocity ammo. (1050 fps)

Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Heck, it should work fine and probably even be more accurate with just standard velocity ammo. (1050 fps)
dont bet on it. unless you are sighted in for high velocity you will be shooting high. doesnt matter if it is a .22 or a .45 or rifle or pistol. i have heard that most rimfire conversions like high velocity but that .22 target pistol like standard velocity or subsonic.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
dont bet on it. unless you are sighted in for high velocity you will be shooting high. doesnt matter if it is a .22 or a .45 or rifle or pistol. i have heard that most rimfire conversions like high velocity but that .22 target pistol like standard velocity or subsonic.
Actually I would bet on it!
I am quite aware that lower velocity rimfire ammo will tend to shoot somewhat higher and is generally more accurate in pistols as well as rifles.....However, the O.P. is simply asking what kind of ammo other than CCI Stingers are sufficent to activate the slide on his Iver Johnson .22 pistol.

Quote: I have a Iver Johnson TP 22 and the guy I got it from was the original owner who only used "stingers". Will this gun work OK with regular 22 LR ?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

was just trying to say you go change grain and/or velocity and you do get different results. and that is true no matter weapon or round size. dont really know much about that specific weapon so i cant really comment on that part. i can say the best advice was try and see what works well. .22lr is picky with no reason some work well and some dont.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #10

minimags are the best for semi auto rifles i have 7 rifles and thats all i use