.22 call shot shells - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 call shot shells

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

My point exactly mon ami. What part of canada are you in?

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
As of right now I'm living in a small-ish town but the name of Wainwright in the province of Alberta.

It isn't exactly a big town, but in the four or so years that I've been here it's been continually growing and doesn't seem like tll slow at all any one soon.
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

As of right now I'm living in a small-ish town but the name of Wainwright in the province of Alberta.

It isn't exactly a big town, but in the four or so years that I've been here it's been continually growing and doesn't seem like tll slow at all any one soon.
To bad you dont live in saskatawaun. If you did i might have a friend who would let you hunt/shoot on his property....if the limey sucker will talk to me that is. Last time i saw him i kinda broke a few teeth for him.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

To bad you dont live in saskatawaun. If you did i might have a friend who would let you hunt/shoot on his property....if the limey sucker will talk to me that is. Last time i saw him i kinda broke a few teeth for him.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
Haha it's alright, I've got a guy down by me who has a lot of farm land that he hunts on. Basicaly has the same rules as the range that I use. Just pick up my casings (if it's bigger then a .22) and if I use any targets that make a mess, clean them up. Also the range is maybe 10mins away from me at the most......if I'm really moving its a little less.

But I'm not to far for SASK, I'm an jour away form Lloydminister or "the border city".
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Well pierre lives supposedly about 90 miles from where the milo hansen buck was killed but i dont know.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jeepergeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arcata,California
Posts: 393
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Rattle Snakes

Those rounds are popular out here for shooting rattle snakes at close range.

I personally prefer to just leave'em be and walk around the snakes, but some folks shoot'em if they are near high use areas like trails or camp sites.

I bought a box of 50 about 30 years ago. I'd bet there's still 38 rounds still in the box. I'd loaded them up a few times for hiking trips, and blasted off a few for fun rather than rebox them. Never shot a snake though, but did in a few cans and cups. Don't expect much out more than about 8-10 feet.

__________________
"Society’s abuse, misuse, or lack of use of its rights will not impinge upon my rights."
Jeepergeo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo
Those rounds are popular out here for shooting rattle snakes at close range.

I personally prefer to just leave'em be and walk around the snakes, but some folks shoot'em if they are near high use areas like trails or camp sites.

I bought a box of 50 about 30 years ago. I'd bet there's still 38 rounds still in the box. I'd loaded them up a few times for hiking trips, and blasted off a few for fun rather than rebox them. Never shot a snake though, but did in a few cans and cups. Don't expect much out more than about 8-10 feet.
I didn't really expect a whole lot of distance out of them at all.
Shot guns them self aren't known for having a lot of distance, now to only are you drastically lowering the powder/shot amount, but also firing it from a rifled barrel.

But to me it's some what worth the boring range since me and my girl both want to eventually get a shot gun of some type. She isn't one to like the recoil nor the loudness of them and we don't have a lot of money to drop on o e either since we're both still finishing up high school and only have part time jobs. Souks would be out compromise for the time being.
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

I'm not impressed with .22 shot shells, had to zap a field rat a few times...even 3 direct hits to the head...
looked like nothing really penetrated the skull...switched mags for the finish with a Target round, that killed it humanely...

Not real happy with how they performed...they're nowhere near as powerful as .22WMR shotshells, which will take a rat out with one shot.

__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek
I'm not impressed with .22 shot shells, had to zap a field rat a few times...even 3 direct hits to the head...
looked like nothing really penetrated the skull...switched mags for the finish with a Target round, that killed it humanely...

Not real happy with how they performed...they're nowhere near as powerful as .22WMR shotshells, which will take a rat out with one shot.
Thats exactly why i use the colt panther 22 mag loaded with birdshot on the field rats around my house...ex neighbors feral cats to if they get closer than 15 yards.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,723
Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If I had a .22 MaG I'd gladly use that, but since I don't have a lot of Ross around money, I'm sticking with my .22LR and having fun with that untill I can buy something else. But if I'm looking to a shotgun effect I'll buy a cheaper one that's just two or three hundred.

__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 216
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Default

22 LR shotshells use #12 shot. It's called "dust shot" for a reason. It's hard pressed to penetrate corrugated cardboard. When fired from a rifled barrel, the shot spins and produces donut shaped patterns that disperse quickly. Effective range is about 10 feet. There are smoothbore 22s that will stretch that range to 10 yards. Small birds and mice are about all you can reliably hunt with it.

The shot is soft lead. It won't damage the rifling.

__________________
natman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
25 cal shot shells? froggyjf General Handgun Discussion 1 09-02-2011 09:51 AM
Handgun Shot Shells amstutz Revolver Handguns 5 01-20-2011 03:49 PM
Are paper cased shot gun shells worth anything? fastline Ammunition & Reloading 16 11-30-2010 02:19 PM
where can I find some .22 shot shells! RedJeep2002 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 03-16-2010 10:40 PM