.22 call shot shells
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 call shot shells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .22 call shot shells

I know they wouldn't be good for much else other then shooting cans, paper, rats/mice in your house and if your close enough, the odd squirrel or so.

But I seen these in the local Walmart, told my girl and the look on her face said "Oh my god!! Gotta get those!!" and more then likely would of grabbed a box if A) the dang person for that department was there and B) I wasn't worried about how it'd effect my rifling.

So two quick questions, first is what's your guys thoughts on these shot shells?

The second is how can you tell if a rifled barrel will shoot these with out being destroyed to the point it sends a tumbling ball of lead down range after a could of these shells?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1) your summation of there worth is correct except you would have to be either REAL close or lucky to kill a squirrel with them.
2) they wont hurt your riflings at all...especially since your shooting marlin xt22's if memory serves. If your OM says dont shoot em then i wouldnt, otherwise go right ahead.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
1) your summation of there worth is correct except you would have to be either REAL close or lucky to kill a squirrel with them.
2) they wont hurt your riflings at all...especially since your shooting marlin xt22's if memory serves. If your OM says dont shoot em then i wouldnt, otherwise go right ahead.

Your half rich there Marlinman, my girl has the XT and ive got the Mossberg Plinkster.

Was just looking up some videos of these and from the sounds of it, they would work best in either a bolt action or in a wheelie since they don't have the needed power to even begin to blow the bolt back in semi autos. The range also seems to be about 10' at the max and that even looked like it was on the outer edge of its limits.

Still think I might pick up a box just for the fun of it though. Could be cool to see a pop can fly away after being shot.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

Your half rich there Marlinman, my girl has the XT and ive got the Mossberg Plinkster.

Was just looking up some videos of these and from the sounds of it, they would work best in either a bolt action or in a wheelie since they don't have the needed power to even begin to blow the bolt back in semi autos. The range also seems to be about 10' at the max and that even looked like it was on the outer edge of its limits.

Still think I might pick up a box just for the fun of it though. Could be cool to see a pop can fly away after being shot.
Having a plinkster myself id say leave them to the marlin then. And ya 10' sounds about right. I dont shoot them myself out of a 22 lr. I do shoot the 22 mag version for rats since it has alot more punch and i have 2 22 mag rifles, and 3 22 mag pistols-all revolvers.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Having a plinkster myself id say leave them to the marlin then. And ya 10' sounds about right. I dont shoot them myself out of a 22 lr. I do shoot the 22 mag version for rats since it has alot more punch and i have 2 22 mag rifles, and 3 22 mag pistols-all revolvers.

Well, I'm kind of glad I didn't plan on shooting them out of mine then. But I won't lie, I'm a little jealous at the fact you've got a few "toys" to choose from haha

Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #6

Quote:

Well, I'm kind of glad I didn't plan on shooting them out of mine then. But I won't lie, I'm a little jealous at the fact you've got a few "toys" to choose from haha
Mon ami i have more than just "a few toys" try 6 full gun safes w more always coming. Most of my toys i worked off from my mentor. Others i traded for or bought/had bought for me.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Mon ami i have more than just "a few toys" try 6 full gun safes w more always coming. Most of my toys i worked off from my mentor. Others i traded for or bought/had bought for me.

You trying to make me buy a gun safe or something? Haha
I've only got the .22s that I bought at Christmas for me and my girl, but we also just got into actually shooting so in time I'll have a pretty good collection going.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:

You trying to make me buy a gun safe or something? Haha
I've only got the .22s that I bought at Christmas for me and my girl, but we also just got into actually shooting so in time I'll have a pretty good collection going.
No jist saying i habe alot more guns than i can use. But you habe a pretty good start....especially in canada where guns/ammo is ummm scarce compared to down here.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

No jist saying i habe alot more guns than i can use. But you habe a pretty good start....especially in canada where guns/ammo is ummm scarce compared to down here.

Well ammunition isn't exactly to scarce, all the walmarts and Canadian Tires sell it, but only if that fire arm can be used for hunting. As for hand gun calibers, you've got to go to an actual gun shop to buy that and have to have the proper license to do so as well.

In reality, I guess it's just the rifles them selfs that aren't as easy to come by if your not by a gun shop. Also not sure how many gu. Shops are around my area since I only know of three that are close bu have heard about more.

Now when it comes to buying an AR platformed rifle or a hand gun of any caliber, it's just stupid. Same with trying to find a spot to legally discharge them.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:

Well ammunition isn't exactly to scarce, all the walmarts and Canadian Tires sell it, but only if that fire arm can be used for hunting. As for hand gun calibers, you've got to go to an actual gun shop to buy that and have to have the proper license to do so as well.

In reality, I guess it's just the rifles them selfs that aren't as easy to come by if your not by a gun shop. Also not sure how many gu. Shops are around my area since I only know of three that are close bu have heard about more.

Now when it comes to buying an AR platformed rifle or a hand gun of any caliber, it's just stupid. Same with trying to find a spot to legally discharge them.
My point exactly mon ami. What part of canada are you in?