.22-cal Remington Model 597

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22-cal Remington Model 597

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default .22-cal Remington Model 597

Anybody have any experience with the Remington 597 rimfire .22-cal rifle?
I'm looking for any comments, likes/dislikes, pros/cons or general observations
to make concerning this gun. What version do you have? How's the accuracy; any problems with it, etc. I'm looking at the original model/version (the one with the 20" barrel) mainly for target shooting, plinking and maybe the occasional varmint dispatch. All comments or mod recommendations would be much appreciated.

Know when to hold 'em...and know when to fold 'em.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Busy, for what it is worth, I am a proud 597 owner... I bought it because to me it felt more like an adult sized rifle than did the Ruger 10/22. Don't get me wrong, I love Ruger products, their rimfire line included... I just wanted something different... I have swapped out the factory hammer and extractor with Volquartsen parts and could not have been happier with the end result. I still have a lot of tinkering to do and need to spend some time at the range zeroing it in, but so far I am fairly impressed with my little pea shooter... BY-the-by, mine is the base model with plastic stock and parkerized or painted finish...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #3

Werminator, you got a scope on it? If so, what are you using (the tapped/drilled Weaver mounts or the grooved receiver) and what was your scope selection? Thanks for the comments about the hammer & extractor; I'll have to look into that. I apppreciate the feedback.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #4

Liked 749 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I got my son one and it shoots great. There's a good bit of after market pretty parts for it too. I like my 10/22's better but it's a solid little 22 for sure.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've got 2. I have a cheap scope on one and the other without.

Both are tack drivers without any parts changes. (may just be lucky) The grandkids,
neighbors, even the adults I shoot with like them very much. I set up golf balls at 25-30 yards and let the kids shoot them for fun. Seems to like any ammo I get (I don't use the bulk packs - too many damaged in a box).

I especially like the stock. The wide forend seems to just feel better / lend it self to more accuracy to me.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

My 597 is wearing a Cabela's brand .22lr specific scope. They put a couple extra crosses in the scope to represent 100 and 150 yards. You zero it on the main cross at 50 yards and the other 2 represent where the bullet should be at those distances. I got it one sale for half price and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Just mounted on the slotted receiver, as long as you get it tight it seems to work fine...

Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #7

Default 597

I have the Rem. 597 .22 WMR LSHB. I really like the rifle but have had

a lot of issues with hammer follow. It will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards

pretty consistently with good ammunition.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #8

Default Thanks for the feedback...

Mine should be here in a few days! Guess I'll start looking for a scope now...