Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22-cal Remington Model 597 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22-cal-remington-model-597-a-45365/)

busykngt 07-17-2011 08:53 PM

.22-cal Remington Model 597

Anybody have any experience with the Remington 597 rimfire .22-cal rifle?
I'm looking for any comments, likes/dislikes, pros/cons or general observations
to make concerning this gun. What version do you have? How's the accuracy; any problems with it, etc. I'm looking at the original model/version (the one with the 20" barrel) mainly for target shooting, plinking and maybe the occasional varmint dispatch. All comments or mod recommendations would be much appreciated.

Werminator 07-17-2011 10:47 PM

Busy, for what it is worth, I am a proud 597 owner... I bought it because to me it felt more like an adult sized rifle than did the Ruger 10/22. Don't get me wrong, I love Ruger products, their rimfire line included... I just wanted something different... I have swapped out the factory hammer and extractor with Volquartsen parts and could not have been happier with the end result. I still have a lot of tinkering to do and need to spend some time at the range zeroing it in, but so far I am fairly impressed with my little pea shooter... BY-the-by, mine is the base model with plastic stock and parkerized or painted finish...

busykngt 07-18-2011 02:47 AM

Werminator, you got a scope on it? If so, what are you using (the tapped/drilled Weaver mounts or the grooved receiver) and what was your scope selection? Thanks for the comments about the hammer & extractor; I'll have to look into that. I apppreciate the feedback.

CourtJester 07-18-2011 02:50 AM

I got my son one and it shoots great. There's a good bit of after market pretty parts for it too. I like my 10/22's better but it's a solid little 22 for sure.

Drriley 07-18-2011 01:21 PM

I've got 2. I have a cheap scope on one and the other without.

Both are tack drivers without any parts changes. (may just be lucky) The grandkids,
neighbors, even the adults I shoot with like them very much. I set up golf balls at 25-30 yards and let the kids shoot them for fun. Seems to like any ammo I get (I don't use the bulk packs - too many damaged in a box).

I especially like the stock. The wide forend seems to just feel better / lend it self to more accuracy to me.

Werminator 07-18-2011 08:13 PM

My 597 is wearing a Cabela's brand .22lr specific scope. They put a couple extra crosses in the scope to represent 100 and 150 yards. You zero it on the main cross at 50 yards and the other 2 represent where the bullet should be at those distances. I got it one sale for half price and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Just mounted on the slotted receiver, as long as you get it tight it seems to work fine...

slickab 07-22-2011 01:54 AM

I have the Rem. 597 .22 WMR LSHB. I really like the rifle but have had

a lot of issues with hammer follow. It will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards

pretty consistently with good ammunition.

busykngt 08-03-2011 02:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback...

Mine should be here in a few days! Guess I'll start looking for a scope now...:D