Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 "ammo" trick.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default 22 "ammo" trick.

Not sure if any of ya'll know about this one, I used it back in the day with my single shot, bolt action Remington 22lr rifle just to play with in the back yard. You can use a 22cal air gun pellet and a small 22cal blank cartridge likes used in the nail guns(looks like a crimped 22 short without the bullet) and load in your bolt guns to make what amounts to a 22 BB cap load. Just load the pellet in first, push the blank in behind it and close the bolt and you'd be surprised at how well it works at short range.
I know 22lr has been hard to come by lately so I figure I'd pass this little trick along so that you could at least get a little practice in or shoot small game at short range with something until you can find the actual "real deal" 22lr stuff.

This is the War Room!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #2

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I don't doubt that it works. But...it sounds like a pretty expensive way to shoot pellets. Wouldn't a pellet gun be simpler? A few hundred blanks later and you could've bought an inexpensive pellet gun with a few tins of pellets..

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They also have those caborli shots.. i know that not spelled right. And they are not much more than a primer and fly around 400ft/sec. But i still would rather just buy a pellet gun.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Yep, if you've got $150-$250 to get into a good air rifle then that'd be the preferred way to go but this is just a way to let someone with a bolt action 22lr shoot it while the supplies are low on actual 22lr ammo. I have no idea what the blanks will cost since I had em' already from a friends nail gun so I just had to buy the pellets but I just thought I'd throw it out there incase someone needed to shoot a rabbit or something and didn't have any real 22 rimfire ammo on hand.

This is the War Room!"

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

The Remington .22 loads are about $7.33/ 100 at Lowes. Be advised those are NOT "primer only" like the Colobri rounds from Aguilla- they actually come in different power levels, as indicated by the color on the base of the round.

I do not think I would try this unless in a survival setting- have seen a number of .22 rifles with a bulged barrel from an obstructed bore.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #6

I've known guys to load up a .223 Rem case with a magnum primer and push a pellet into the case mouth and shoot it. Plenty of power for it to clear the barrel. Same deal with the nail gun blanks, more then enough power even with the lower power ones to clear the barrel.

This is the War Room!"

Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #7

Liked 182 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank
I've known guys to load up a .223 Rem case with a magnum primer and push a pellet into the case mouth and shoot it. Plenty of power for it to clear the barrel. Same deal with the nail gun blanks, more then enough power even with the lower power ones to clear the barrel.
One of my buddies just told me he heard of that before...makes sense to me that it would work pretty good.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #8

Liked 992 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 343

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent pellet rifle. I have a crosman phantom I bought for $80. I never have any problems with it. I have put over 10,000 pellets through it. I have shot it through a chronograph. It shoots a constant 1040 FPS. I did have to put new rubber in the compression cylinder one time after 2 years of use. It has lasted a lot longer than the Benjamin Nitro NP I paid $275 for that fell apart in 2 weeks.

When you buy a pellet rifle no matter who makes it or how much you paid for it they all pretty much have the same power plant. You are paying for the name and nicer furniture. The charlie da tuna triggers fit a whole bunch of popular pellet guns. I have one on my phantom.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-20-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #9

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent pellet rifle. I have a crosman phantom I bought for $80. I never have any problems with it. I have put over 10,000 pellets through it. I have shot it through a chronograph. It shoots a constant 1040 FPS. I did have to put new rubber in the compression cylinder one time after 2 years of use. It has lasted a lot longer than the Benjamin Nitro NP I paid $275 for that fell apart in 2 weeks.

When you buy a pellet rifle no matter who makes it or how much you paid for it they all pretty much have the same power plant. You are paying for the name and nicer furniture. The charlie da tuna triggers fit a whole bunch of popular pellet guns. I have one on my phantom.
I have a Daisy 881 my dad bought in the late 70s. I'm sure it has tens of thousands of pellets through it. That thing will not die. It will still put RWS Hobby pellets into one hole at 10 meters all day.
Considering it's descendant the 880 is available for under $50, there really isn't a lot of excuse for doing without. More powerful break barrels start at around $80 if you have a squirrel problem.
I have a number of other higher quality airguns as well (older Beeman, Weihrauch Feinwerkbau), but the Daisy is impressive due to the sheer value for money factor.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I wouldnt recommend doing this, pellets are alot softer and you powder charge can push right past the pellet leaving it inside your barrel. Thinking you shot and just missed, the next one could blow your barrel. Just a thought and remember always keep it safe when playing with guns.