Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 ammo impossible for a 18yr old to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 ammo impossible for a 18yr old to buy?

from what i have heard in illinois you have to be 21 to buy any sort of .22 ammo? can someone verify this for me becuase i will like to shoot 22's because they are cheap and are decent for target practice indoors and outdoors. any help fould be apprecheated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 307 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Unless I am mistaken, federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1))

Some calibers of ammunition (such as .22RF) can be used in both rifles and handguns and are generally treated as handgun ammunition.

However -- I have never taken the bar exam and I am not an Attorney.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Unless I am mistaken, federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1))

Some calibers of ammunition (such as .22RF) can be used in both rifles and handguns and are generally treated as handgun ammunition.

However -- I have never taken the bar exam and I am not an Attorney.
Ditto what he said...check out your state's gun laws and laws regarding the sale of ammunition. If you can't find anything, call a local gunshop, they'll know.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

thanks i know i can buy any rifel ammo, but i heard i cant buy 22 ammo because its used in hand guns aswell? well i guess ill just have to buy the gun and find out, if not i know a bunch of people that are 21 that can grab it for me. because through the grape vine i can have the gun and ammo but cant buy it seems weird!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

I know at walmart they just ask you is the .22 ammo for a pistol or rifle so try them out.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could probably do the research as easily as anyone could for you.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
I know at walmart they just ask you is the .22 ammo for a pistol or rifle so try them out.
I have had this same experience (in VT). I was confused as to why I was asked at the time, but I figured it out eventually (I was 21 when this happened, apparently I looked all of 18 but not 21)

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8589 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

FEDERAL law requires 18 for long gun ammo, 21 for handgun ammo- HOWEVER, multi use ammo (the ATF standards list 22 rimfire by name) CAN be sold to an 18 yr old IF it is for use in a long gun. When I was 20, I was buying .44 mag ammo- because I had a 44 mag carbine. That is why the folks at WallyWorld asked what it was for- if you say handgun, then they will want age 21 ID. 18 yr old wants 22 LR for their Ruger 10/22- yes. For a Ruger Mk III pistol- no. Which makes NO friken sense, but I did not write this crap. from 18 USC 922

(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile - (A) a handgun; or (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I don't know about other places but the wal-marts down here in mississippi will let you buy rifle ammo at 16, that probably has something to do with geography though cause most of the ammo sold down here gets used up on hunting or sick animals, and a little bit of it to see who's the better shot

Old 10-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6944 Times on 4177 Posts
Likes Given: 8349

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington7mm View Post
thanks i know i can buy any rifel ammo, but i heard i cant buy 22 ammo because its used in hand guns aswell? well i guess ill just have to buy the gun and find out, if not i know a bunch of people that are 21 that can grab it for me. because through the grape vine i can have the gun and ammo but cant buy it seems weird!
Personally, I would not buy ammo for someone who can't legally buy it for themselves. Also, I believe here in Illinois you must be 21 to buy a handgun. You can buy a rifle at 18, though.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.