22 ammo flying off the shelves - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22 ammo flying off the shelves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1487 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I was in our local Walmart this morning to pick up some 9mm. There was none on the shelf. I picked up the last two boxes of .45 acp. The clerk says they have had ammo back-ordered for three weeks and are not expecting delivery until after the first of the year.

My therory is that the ammo makers and the wholesalers are holding product off the market until the buying frenzy drives the price up again, just like in 2009. After the 2009 fiasco calmed down, I slowly built my ammo inventory so that I don't have to resupply for practice or training any time soon.

I am still shooting some of the "Great Obama Scare" ammo of 2009, bought from panic buyers who stocked up, and later sold it at cut rates. I will be looking forward to the same situation this Summer or Fall.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #22

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It must be a figment of my imagination but I've been to 3 Dicks stores, two Walmarts, and a couple of LGS places and ALL of them were almost completely out of .22 ammo. Maybe some people here weren't shooting back when the first Obama election took place and they didn't see the 18 month shortage of ammo. Sure if you looked really hard you could find ammo but where I live it was a matter of calling around to a dozen different places and asking them to hold me some rimfire ammo if they had any. They knew I would show up to get it. I even had one bozo at a LGS get upset when I told her that I could get the same ammo she had for half the price not two blocks from her store. She actually had the nerve to ask me where I was getting it. Yeah I'm going to help her go buy up all they had at the cheap price then double the price in her store. Not! And that made her upset. Too bad.

Prices pretty much doubled. Quality dropped off dramatically. I haven't bought Federal bulk rimfire since because they dropped the quality so much. I've been buying almost all CCI because they were the one company that never sacrificed quality. I'd rather not buy ammo than pay for junk ammo. And Federal went from being the ammo I counted on for rifles like my Marlin 60 for at least 25 years to ammo I could count on to be rotten.

Someone mentioned Cheaper Than Dirt. They were the worst about things. They had ammo the whole time because they raised prices to outrageous levels. I'm not here to bash any company but I won't ever buy from that company again no matter what. Of all the money I've spent on guns in the past 4 years NONE of it has gone to CTD. And that will remain true until they show me something a lot different.

If you think there won't be a shortage all I can say is you must have missed the last one. Almost everyone had problems. Some people got lucky. Heck I was lucky compared to most. I could find ammo if I tried hard enough. But .380 disappeared for over a year, 9mm and .45ACP were as scarce as hen's teeth, 30.06 was tough to find, .44 magnum wasn't as bad but it was bad. 7.62 x 39 tripled in price during that period but it was always around if you looked hard. You just had to pay a lot for low quality ammo. Pretty much everything I shot except shotgun shells and .223 ammo dried up. I fully expect it to get just as bad again. People hoarded most of the ammo back then. They will do it again because they think Obama has nothing to lose when it comes to banning firearms and ammo.

The good part for me is that I have already stocked up from the last time this happened. But keeping .22 stocked up is tough because I will shoot it by the ton if I have it. I learned to only shoot what I could replace back then. I will learn to do the same thing again.

Last edited by Jeff56; 12-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 331 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I haven't been able to find any bulk .22 in the past week. I get around to 5-6 Wal-marts fairly regularly. Gander has the 525 box of Federal in their flyer for $19.99. I'll be in for as many as 15 boxes if they have them in stock on Tuesday night. I did get 8 boxes of Federal 100 ct 9mm the other day for $19.96 at a Wal-Mart. Been shut out on .45ACP in the Federal 100 ct for $29.96. I'm down to my last 150 rounds.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The walmart in my town is cleared out of 22lr, except for the shotshell stuff from cci. This is probably because we dont have many gun stores around here, but if I drive an hour to gander mntn. They have a ton.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #25

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Picked up 2 100ct boxes of Federal 180gr FMJ.40 S&W at my local WalMart this past week for $27.97/box but they were out of the bulk pack Federal .223, another guy was buying some .22LR, he bought 5 50rnd boxes of Thunderbolt (Remington?) ammo. 3 or 4 weeks earlier I got 2 100ct boxes of Federal .223 for $34.97/box and there was a lady buying a couple of boxes of bulk pack 9mm.

My local WalMart seems to be selling a lot of the bulk packed .223, I'll go in one day and they'll have 5-10 boxes and then a couple of days later its all gone.

Last edited by JSStryker; 12-10-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #26

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Seems that most places are keeping small quantities on hand.
not sure why 22lr is scarce but it is in Central TX when compared to a few yrs ago.

I read that the govt agencies placed a billion round order last year and delivery is due by 31 Dec 2012.
read into that if you want. I do know that many govt agencies are stocking all of their parts, ammo, and even renewing- out for a few years- their maintenance agreements in preparation for the budget cuts that were announced more than a year ago. where I work is taking a 30% reduction in FY 2013

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've looked in several more places since I last posted. I can't find anything except Remington and I wouldn't put that stuff in anything. I did find a small box (375 rounds I think) of CCI MiniMags. I bought a box of that.

UPDATE:

I found some of the ammo I like to use for plinking accurately (CCI SV) so I bought half a case of it. That should last me a while anyway considering I already had half a case. I hate to be the guy who starts hoarding but I'll be danged if I go through what I went through before. I stocked up on certain calibers back then ahead of time. But I never dreamed that common calibers like .22LR would be hard to find. Boy was I wrong. It was a year and a half before things got back to normal. Now I'll have enough for a couple of months at least. Since it's winter I probably won't need to buy more ammo until about April I'd say. l have other rimfire ammo put back too. I have cheap plinking ammo all the way up to Tenex and Ultra Match. Hopefully I'll have the bases covered this time.

Last edited by Jeff56; 12-12-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #28
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1924 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 3928

I will add that I have been doing the running around to the LGS (Walmart, Dick's, Sportsman's, etc.) The .22LR is not on shelves. Sportsman's had the 100 rounds CCI and some bricks of .22LR Thunderbolt from Remington and a few boxes of 40 gr. CCI Mini-Mag ($40 a box).

I have been holding off from doing the range time since the election. Wife wants to shoot; but, doing a replenishment of ammo, when ammo is not available locally.

I will go out in the morning for a so-called supply run.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 331 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Found some Federal 525 boxes at Gander on Tuesday night. They had them in their ad for $19.99. I bought 15 of them but more were available. Just didn't have more cash to spend.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I managed to get 500 rounds of 124 gr Aguila 9mm and 50 rounds of 380 Aguila 95 gr for $120 out the door. Maybe the big box stores aren't the place to look for ammo. I got my ammo from a kitchen table FFL. All fresh ammo, I saw the date on the invoice when he was getting the ammo out of the case.

Just a few weeks ago I got 1600 rounds of CCI mini mags in a plastic storage box for around $100 out the door ($89 plus tax). This was not bulk ammo. All of it is in plastic 100 packs just like you buy singles off the shelf.