22 ammo
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

22 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default 22 ammo

One reason I bought a ruger 10/22 is the ammo is cheap but what is the best ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just about anything except Remington Golden Bullets.
big shrek Likes This 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My 4 10/22s will fire anything. Remington Gold is ok if you don't mind filthy ammo. My recommendation is Federal Blue Box 525 bulk, which costs about the same and is much much cleaner. I have never had a single FTF or FTE with Fed. Or, for that matter, the dirty Win stuff.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10986 Times on 4758 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

First, you must define the term "best".

Best for plinking?
Hunting?
Serious target?
(Shudder) self defense?
Potting vermin at zero range?
Not disturbing the neighbors?

In GENERAL, CCI does a very good job of making consistent rimfire ammo. But for really serious 50-100 yd target shooting, match grade ammo that will run about $15/50 rds. Lapua, Nobel, Eley, Fiocchi etc etc. However, among match ammo, Wolf Match .22 LR at about $8/50 is giving the high priced stuff a run for its money.

But since you are shooting an auto and not a bolt, you also must have a round that feeds, fires, and ejects consistently in YOUR rifle.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 539 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01
Just about anything except Remington Golden Bullets.
Why do people dislike this ammo? I love it.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, you must define the term "best". . . . In GENERAL, CCI does a very good job of making consistent rimfire ammo. . . . you also must have a round that feeds, fires, and ejects consistently in YOUR rifle.
I bought 500 rounds of real cheap Winchester Wildcat when I first got my rifle on the theory that I wouldn’t be better than any of my hardware & supplies, and that it would take me awhile to press the limits of the ammo. THAT was a mistake! At least if you want to learn how to shoot! It was inconsistent as hell, but I only discovered it was inconsistent instead of me being inconsistent when I picked up a couple of small boxes of CCI Velocitor (I didn’t really know what I was buying). All of a sudden I became the best shot on the range when I used it.

Now I’m working though my way through 1600 rounds of CCI Mini Mags and it’s very consistent, if not as tight as the Velocitors. I don’t know about the other cheap ammo, but shooting the Wildcat was like having all 'flyers' all the time.

I have some 'Remington Eley Target Rifle' (it has a yellow label) which is supposed to be better because it’s slower, but I don’t see tighter groups with it.

All of the above was ‘Bench Rest’ by the way. I’m just now starting ‘Standing’.

Last edited by Vincine; 05-24-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The best ammo for any .22lr is the one you can afford to buy that you and your rifle are happy with. Really. Just got to buy and try.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Why do people dislike this ammo? I love it.
Nothing wrong with Remington Golden except that it seems to be dirtier than many other choices. After loading my magazines my fingers were black. But it functioned perfectly in my 10/22. Today I am going to test out the rest of the box in my Ruger Mark III Target.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We have 5 .22's and they work well with anything but the Remington Golden Turds. The Remington stuff has 15-20% dud failures per box in our recent experience. Not worth the price when better ammo is available for less cost.

For everyday shooting we go with the Federal 550 Bulk Box ammo from Walmart. The 36 grain hollow point is reliable and accurate in all five of our guns. We'll usually have one or two rounds per box that won't fire, but thats about it. The cost is around $17.50 per box around here.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildg03 View Post
One reason I bought a ruger 10/22 is the ammo is cheap but what is the best ?
Dog,

Have to suggest the variety pack before you buy in bulk. each rifle is a combination of machined parts that when assembled make a unique piece of machinery. try a few 50 count boxes of different ammunition if you can. otherwize, try a box of bulk pack at a time. remember as the rifle breaks in, ammunition that fed well at the beginning may not feed at all. or vice-a-versa. as others have stated, you will want to find the rounds that work well in your rifle.

also, if you modify your rifle for any reason, expect to start the process over again. i put a VQ 2000 trigger assembly in my 1022 and now it won't cleanly eject most bulk federal rounds. it will eject the champoin federal cleanly but not their other offerings. like the military teaches new recruits, "This is my rifle. there are many like it, but this one is mine" Enjoy your rifle because once you find that sweet spot ammunition she could easily become your best friend.

Just MHO, yours may be different, and that's OK

Curlyjoe