.22 or .17 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 or .17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

your bullet drop charts look like what i have experenced but the cross wind? how often do you see a steady 10 knt crosswind with no gusts? i own and shoot both. the 17 is a lot of fun and good to 200 yds if the conditions are right but for up to 100 yds give me a 40 gr 22

Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #22

Liked 89 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The .17HMR target model is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I have nailed a crow at 240 yards with one. For long range fun, it's a hoot but not really practical for anything other then varmints. I can attest to the fact that there isn't much worth keeping of a rabbit shot at 100 yards with one unless you take a head shot. For my money, a good .22 with a respectable scope on it is a way more useful rifle.
As far as taking a yote with a .17 at 200 yards... maybe it can't do it on paper, but I don't doubt it can do it in the field.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #23

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Definitely a .22. A lot cheaper, and will do the job.

-Matt

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #24

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i shoot coyote's with my savage mark 2 in 22lr, when i squirrel hunt and one comes close enough. i've killed several but no farther than about 75yds, i took rest from a tree and placed the federal 36 grain in the head. so far dead coyote's everytime, i have however let others pass that were farther as even on a varmit i want a clean humane kill. i don't use glue traps for mice, did once then saw a mouse tearing his legs off trying to get out, no more. thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Guys, i don't think they have coyotes in Great Britain (lucky them).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #26

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
If you are shooting rabbit for meat and unsure about your ability to take head shots get a .22. If you some day want to use it on bigger game .17 hmr. You are right about aprox 8 inch drop at 200 yds. The windage debate .17 compared to .22 ( which is the question) in my opinion not enough to worry about.
Bigger game w/ a smaller projectile. Really

The OP never asked about windage, did he????
I'm not unsure about my ability at all. I was the NRA Junior small bore champ in 1975/76 in NY in the Boy Scouts. No scopes, just irons. The .17HMR is not the end all in rim fires. It has its' place, but is no Yote killer. At 75 yards w/ a 20gr game point it is sufficient for head shots. I prefer a .22WMR w/ good old 40gr HP Maxi mags out to 100 yards for that. Most guys that shoot .223 varmint rigs up here limit their shots to 300 yards, Why do you think that is?????

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #27

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Guys, i don't think they have coyotes in Great Britain (lucky them).
We could always send them the Dems in our gov't! Much worse!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #28

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default .22 or .17

orangello- hit the nail on the head! ,22 about 25.00 for 500 rounds,.17hmr 1200-14.00 per 50. Cliff

Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #29

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1234 View Post
Hi,

I'm torn between getting a .17 HMR or .22 LR I'm mainly shooting small vermin rabbits etc which is best to go for any advice is appreciated ?

Thanks

Mike
This link may help.

http://www.riflesintheuk.com/rimfire.htm

I'm in Britain to and I have both calibers but it depends on the circumstances as to which I take, the HMR certainly feels like a laser up to 150Y, just point and shoot. Wrecks the meat though, so if you want to eat them or use the meat for any kind of consumption then head shoot only, but then they are messy to handle with rabbits brains and bone fragments all over the show!. Despite what people say its the best out of all the four main rimfire rounds to perform in the wind, if that’s a concern.

.22LR is notorious for ricochets, sure any cal will bounce but there’s something especially bad about the .22LR as a rabbit gun. Out in the countryside there is always a building or people somewhere not far away so its not nice in that respect unless you are very careful about the kind of backstop you use. The HMR (within normal ranges) carries enough velocity to mostly destroy itself on impact, leaving little of any significance to head off in an unknown direction…

We can easily get 'silencers' for them in Britain, .22LR benefits the most but ignore those who say its pointless on a .17HMR as they have obviously never tried one. Its only really of benefit on either caliber to avoid causing a disturbance and save your hearing, rabbits don't seem to care which caliber your firing at them, silenced or not, they all behave similarly. They either sit there and wait for their turn or leg it to their burrow.

.17HMR ammo costs roughly around £12-£16 per 50???. .22LR subsonic say, £5 for 50. .22LR is usually better quality to, for years we have been getting so many reports of duff HMR ammo and it doesn’t seem to get any better. Its just the luck of the draw if you get a bad batch or not, but dealers will normally exchange it. Unless your going to be shooting every day of the week, thousands of rabbits in the year, then don't worry to much about the ammo cost as it seems negligable. .22LR is great to plink and have fun with to though, if your going to do that then its a better bet.

It would help answer if you gave us some more finer details as to what you need from the gun.

My answer would probably be, just get both.

Last edited by RemFire; 09-27-2012 at 11:10 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

Bigger game w/ a smaller projectile. Really

The OP never asked about windage, did he????
I'm not unsure about my ability at all. I was the NRA Junior small bore champ in 1975/76 in NY in the Boy Scouts. No scopes, just irons. The .17HMR is not the end all in rim fires. It has its' place, but is no Yote killer. At 75 yards w/ a 20gr game point it is sufficient for head shots. I prefer a .22WMR w/ good old 40gr HP Maxi mags out to 100 yards for that. Most guys that shoot .223 varmint rigs up here limit their shots to 300 yards, Why do you think that is?????
204 ruger 22-250 is smaller and lighter than most .223 loads and no one would limit them to 300yds. And .17 isn't a coyote round but it will work if need be. If i had to pick one for plinking or just trigger time it would be a .22 its why I have more of them than any other caliber but you cannot over look something because it is newish. But if I was doing pest removal exclusively and only one rimfire .17 is how I would go.