.22 10/22 ruger takedown - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 10/22 ruger takedown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCZOMBIE
First .22 LR im purchasing but not sure how reliable they are...
I bought a 10/22 TD the week after they were first released. I have not shot it as much as I would like recently (damn ammo shortage!) but mine has been nothing but reliable with factory mags and quality ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180baseball
I would stay away from the 10/22 Takedown unless your a doomsday prepped or an avid camper.
While I guess both those types of people would like the Take Down, I'm neither and I still enjoy mine. I find it generally easier to store and transport than a non-TD rifle and there is also a certain "cool factor" to the gun I like. You are paying extra for that so you need to decide if the features of the TD are worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
I'm sure you've done your research but Henry makes a .22 takedown as well...
The AR-7 is admittedly a cool concept, unfortunately I have heard very few positive reviews of the gun. Poor quality, poor accuracy, poor reliability. I would consider the Marlin Papoose (another .22 semi-auto takedown rifle) a more viable alternative to the 10/22 TD. It has a much better reputation than the AR-7. The only real problem I have with the Papoose (which the AR-7 shares) is the lack of a proper fore end to the stock. IMO the Papoose is the choice if you want to carry the gun a lot and shoot it a little. The 10/22 TD is the gun to go with if you want to carry a little and shoot a lot.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #22

Liked 313 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I bought a 10/22 TD the week after they were first released. I have not shot it as much as I would like recently (damn ammo shortage!) but mine has been nothing but reliable with factory mags and quality ammo.

While I guess both those types of people would like the Take Down, I'm neither and I still enjoy mine. I find it generally easier to store and transport than a non-TD rifle and there is also a certain "cool factor" to the gun I like. You are paying extra for that so you need to decide if the features of the TD are worth the cost.

The AR-7 is admittedly a cool concept, unfortunately I have heard very few positive reviews of the gun. Poor quality, poor accuracy, poor reliability. I would consider the Marlin Papoose (another .22 semi-auto takedown rifle) a more viable alternative to the 10/22 TD. It has a much better reputation than the AR-7. The only real problem I have with the Papoose (which the AR-7 shares) is the lack of a proper fore end to the stock. IMO the Papoose is the choice if you want to carry the gun a lot and shoot it a little. The 10/22 TD is the gun to go with if you want to carry a little and shoot a lot.
I had a papoose before I bought my takedown. Sold it a couple months later as the takedown does everything it did soooo much better. Much more aftermarket support.

Never owned an ar7 but shot my friends for a week. Not very impressive for the money and hype. Would be better if it was 22mag or 22 hornet caliber. Not to accurate either but that could have been me, we were drinking all that week. Vacation in Montana,

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #23

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I absolutely love my ruger 10/22 takedown i too highly recommend it .its built like a tank and it doesn't feel flimsy like the others like the papoose and henry ar7 the 10/22 is reliable as hell and has been the king of 22.s Since ruger made the 10/22 now that its available in a takedown version its even better!! The reason i bought it because i knew it was going to be my first 22 lr and i knew i was going to keep it for life so i decided on a 10/22 but then i said wait theres a 10/22 that fits in a nice little bag? Heck yea! I too was worried about accuracy and reliability because of the takedown concept. until i held one at my local sportsman's warehouse And i snatched one up!! My stepdad has the regular carbine 10/22 carbine they. both perform the same except he has a better scope i had to get a smaller scope so it will fit in the td bag I have a 1-5 vortex scope on it. very accurate rifle looks and feels like the full length carbine except everybody gets jealous when i take it down and put it inside the bag you can even fit a pistol with a couple mags and a cleaning kit. I use paintball pods to store up to 1000 rounds of 22lr easily if you do get a scope make sure its under 11 or 10 1/2 inches that way it will fit in the bag i love mine and wouldn't hesitate to take it in a survival situation its easy to clean and performs exactly the same as the regular 10/22 and very accurate.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #24

Liked 313 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I absolutely love my ruger 10/22 takedown i too highly recommend it .its built like a tank and it doesn't feel flimsy like the others like the papoose and henry ar7 the 10/22 is reliable as hell and has been the king of 22.s Since ruger made the 10/22 now that its available in a takedown version its even better!! The reason i bought it because i knew it was going to be my first 22 lr and i knew i was going to keep it for life so i decided on a 10/22 but then i said wait theres a 10/22 that fits in a nice little bag? Heck yea! I too was worried about accuracy and reliability because of the takedown concept. until i held one at my local sportsman's warehouse And i snatched one up!! My stepdad has the regular carbine 10/22 carbine they. both perform the same except he has a better scope i had to get a smaller scope so it will fit in the td bag I have a 1-5 vortex scope on it. very accurate rifle looks and feels like the full length carbine except everybody gets jealous when i take it down and put it inside the bag you can even fit a pistol with a couple mags and a cleaning kit. I use paintball pods to store up to 1000 rounds of 22lr easily if you do get a scope make sure its under 11 or 10 1/2 inches that way it will fit in the bag i love mine and wouldn't hesitate to take it in a survival situation its easy to clean and performs exactly the same as the regular 10/22 and very accurate.
Take a look on utube, search 10/22 takedown folding stock. This mod lets you put a full sized 3 x9-40 on and still fit in the bag. Very easy to do, and well worth it. Makes an already good gun great.

The other thing no one talks about is being able to clean the barrel correctly from the breach end. As soon as ruger starts releasing barrels and forend kits it will be perfect.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-28-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recommend picking up a CZ452 Trainer or American. They are great .22LR Bolt action rifles, a little more money but they are well worth it. The trainer is very accurate with the iron sights and if you plan to put on Glass then you will need 11mm rings. Which I'm currently in the process of doing myself. At the very least check out the CZ line.