1st rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 1st rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

appreciate the feedback....still cant wait to get out and shoot it.

i will cpt. tango....actually took some to show the relief needed but without internet at home temporarily so did get em posted up....actually all ready ordered some high mounts to switch out....only becuase i have a feeling in a month or two i'll likely have another rifle to use the low ones on.

when I went back to Cabelas, not a short trip for me either, but anyway when i finally got some help, we found they didnt even stock any mounts that worked for that rifle...so hence my reason for ordering new ones as well.

i'll snap a few and post em up tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

ok, took a bunch of pics....they're large files so I posted them in a folder on my buddies ftp site

http://www.twat.tv/misc/scopemount/

i tried to take em at enough angles so the problem is visible, with the bolt attempting to go in after/with scope mounted, and with the bolt all ready in, attempting go up and back with scope mounted. i left the scope loose on the rail so I could slide it back n forth to show moving it either direction did not allow for the needed relief to lift the bolt up and pull it back once the scope was tightened down on the rail.

Sgt. R. Lee Emery helped point out the contact points for me.....

my new "high" bsa scope mounts came in today as well as a B-square 3/8" dovetail to weaver conversion mount...so i have some other solutions to play with later

Last edited by Mack Bolan; 01-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #13

Default Looking for a tackdriver

I've recently become fascinated with target shooting after i shot a few handguns/rifles recently.

I am looking for a .22 tack driver that wont bust the bank. The gun doenst have to be "the best" since it will be an introductory gun (my first), but I'd also want something that I could have for a loonngg time and constantly be astounded by its accuracy.

I've heard some of the CZ Americans are great.
I head the Ruger 10/22 is a great starter gun.
I was looking at the .17HMR but have been put off due to the recall.

Please leave some suggestions.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #14

My music teacher always said "people should learn on concert-grade instruments - that way if you get it wrong, you know it's you that needs to improve, not the instrument; if you learn on cheap rubbish, you'll never learn what it's supposed to sound like".

Sound advice, IMO, that has stood me in good stead over the years with many things man-made.

Aim for the best you can get - no point trying to learn to shoot if the crappy sights drift or the bullet exits the barrel at a different angle each time, or even if it's fairly consistently shooting high and right. You'll just be in for frustration and constantly having to compensate.

If you have to, hunt around for a second-hand rifle in good/mint condition to save a few dollars. A quality firearm that's been looked after will treat a number of owners well and be better than a new cheap one.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #15

All depends on what "the bank" is....?

the CZ american was about $350 plus scope and mounts....check the range report here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/cz-452-american-22-lr-1st-100-rnds-22133/

but i just picked up a 10/22 carbine, black synthetic stock w/ fiber optic sights wednesday for $197 plus tax. Hoping I'll see how it shoots "out of the box" this weekend.

i actually found most of my best suggestions posted in this section prior to even starting this thread and buying the CZ...poke around some, there's plenty of good info all ready posted.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #16

CZ firearms are excellent - serious tack drivers. Here we call them "Brno" - after the Czech town where they're manufactured.

I have a ZKM-452 with sound moderator and spare 5-round and optional 10-round magazines. Thoroughly love it - never misses a beat and accurate as hell even with the standard iron sights over various ranges.

Build-quality is excellent, finish superb and it's evident it'll last years with the minimum of maintenance.

Bought mine brand new, cost the better part of NZ$800 over here. It's my second - bought after the first got stolen. If the first hadn't been a superb firearm, I wouldn't have bought a second.

It's nothing complex, just a good, basic well-made rifle, not too heavy but not flimsy, nothing flimsy or finicky about the action either, great positive feel on the bolt, crisp clean trigger-break.

I heartily recommend CZ rifles from my experience - and not one shooter I've met has given me hell for getting one, back-yard plinkers and serious small-game hunters alike have said "oh, a Bruno, sweet-as!" Their rep is spread far and wide.

A great rifle for experienced shooters as it won't disappoint and a great rifle for inexperienced shooters as it's reliable and accurate.

If you're learning, though, get decent quality ammo to put through your rifle so you know the bullets should all hit around the same place - with a decent rifle and decent ammo, two probable causes of inaccuracy and inconsistency are minimised. Unless you're on an indoor range, you won't be able to do much about the weather. After that it's practise, practise, practise. Great thing is: with a .22, even firing costlier high-quality ammo, it's very cheap to put a few hundred rounds downrange.

And a hell of a lot of fun.

Best of luck in finding the rifle you want, have fun and be safe.