Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   1st rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/1st-rifle-21206/)

Mack Bolan 12-17-2009 01:07 PM

1st rifle

well after plenty of thread reading here and there, I went with a:

CZ American 452 .22lr -$350.00
bushnell 4-12x30 buckthorn scope w/
DLX .22 rings
Plano basic "2 scoped rifle" carrying case

24hr wait plus they're backed up a day or two on the set up and bore sighting, but I cant wait to take it out and remind myself of the ole summer camp days....:D

my original plan was to go with an open sight model with no scope, but I didnt really like any of the open sight models they had....

the savage mark II felt really nice too, but I liked the wood on the CZ better.

When in possesion I'll be sure to post up a pic and a follow up range report after I get out.

Thanks to all on the forum for the input to others i was able to read up on for decision making help- it definitely was informative and helpful.

-Mack

cpttango30 12-17-2009 01:30 PM

Sounds like a great set up. You let us know how it shoots.

CA357 12-17-2009 03:19 PM

That CZ's an outstanding rifle. It should be a tack driver. Congrats.

Mack Bolan 12-23-2009 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks fellas...and well as promised, here are a couple pics....

Attachment 9001

Attachment 9002

thanks to the knuckle heads at Cabela's, I can't get the bolt back in the gun with the scope mounted the way it is....so I didn't get to shoot it yet. Too trusting at the counter, and a little excited ofcourse, I left without checking it first.

I did ask if that model scope would fit the rifle before choosing it.."yeah, no problem, with the right rings...sure." replied employee. Should I have expected knowledgeable service from cabela's, or is that expecting too much?

i have a boresight laser i scooped for sighting in some pellet guns, I'll likely use that to (learn/figure out how to) remount the scope accordingly.....

the woodwork is beautiful ;)

Jess 12-23-2009 02:47 PM

there are knuckleheads everywhere. Cabelas has always treated us right in the customer service "make things right category" I would let them know

cpttango30 12-23-2009 03:03 PM

Looks to me like you need to rotate the rear scope cap and you should be fine.

Mack Bolan 12-23-2009 04:26 PM

i'm pretty sure I tried with out the rear cap on, and thats when I noticed it bumping the scope and actually moving it....didnt want to scratch it up trying too hard, but I will try again before i bring it back, I'd rather not look like a fool at the counter in front everyone....:o

BILLYBOB44 12-27-2009 09:31 PM

YOU are not the fool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan (Post 203421)
i'm pretty sure I tried with out the rear cap on, and thats when I noticed it bumping the scope and actually moving it....didnt want to scratch it up trying too hard, but I will try again before i bring it back, I'd rather not look like a fool at the counter in front everyone....:o

At the counter be sure to point out to all that it is the scope that THEY mounted for you. Simple fix-the next size higher rings. DO NOT pay for different rings-it was the fault of whoever mounted it the first time. I'm sure they will make it right.:D

Wolf1066 12-31-2009 06:29 PM

Hey, Mack, that's a sweeeeeet first rifle: the illustrious "Brno" (as we call them here).

My first was rather more modest - a second-hand single shot Gecado .22.

It was years before I was able to afford a Brno 452. Fitted it out with a scope and bought a ten-shot mag and a "sound moderator" (or suppressor) for it. Fantastic rifle - as CA357 said: a tack driver.

Sadly, some rotten SOB stole it. Thankfully, they never found where I'd locked the bolt, suppressor and magazines.

A while later I bought another 452. I haven't got a scope for it yet but I've got a suppressor, 2 spare mags and a spare bolt.

No-one I've encountered has ever said a bad word about Brnos. On the contrary, I pull out the 452 and get nothing but "oh, a Brno, excellent rifle!"

Never had reason to disagree with that assessment. Even with the iron sights and my less-than-perfect vision, it's consistently accurate. And reliable as death and taxes.

Let us know how things go with getting the sight sorted out.

Happy shooting.

cpttango30 01-01-2010 05:54 PM

Post a picture of the bolt almost going into the gun.

From your pictures I just don't see how the bolt is hitting the scope seeing as the objective is larger than the eye piece. There is just no way I can see that the bolt will hit the scope. The bolt handle may touch it a little