Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   1st Bolt Action Rifle - .22 LR or .22 WMR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/1st-bolt-action-rifle-22-lr-22-wmr-32947/)

bf109 10-12-2010 11:25 AM

1st Bolt Action Rifle - .22 LR or .22 WMR?

Hi, I'm getting my first bolt action rifle in .22 caliber with iron sights and wood stock. I'll use it primarily for range shooting and possibly hunting small animals occassionaly. Any recommendations of an accurate/high quality one? The following are what I have in mind:

CZ 452 lux
Anschutz 1451 classic (not sure about the pricing?)
any decent American brands (i.e. Browning, Weatherby with iron sights?)

How about ammo? I know .22 LR is most economical but .22 WMR is more accurate. How much more does .22 WMR cost than .22 LR (per 100 rounds)? Please share your experience.

Thank you.

AusLach 10-12-2010 12:04 PM

My old man has an old .22 Anschutz sporter that he was given as a kid (and what I learnt to shoot with), and I now own a CZ 452 in .17HMR so I'll give my $0.02 here:o

If you're after the best accuracy and the highest quality, Anschutz is probably one of the best factory made rimfire rifles out there. If the US is anything like over here but, you'll be looking at spending probably twice or thrice the amount of money for a rifle that frankly isn't going to give you twice/thrice the performance of the CZ. While I can't comment on other brands, Weatherby rimfires also use the Anschutz action, and pricing for them will probably fall in between the CZ and Anschutz.

I don't know where you heard that the .22WMR is more accurate than the .22LR, but sorry 'cause you're wrong. The WMR certainly is able to shoot further than the humble .22LR, but within 75yrds (which is the greatest range I'd be trying to hunt game with the .22 anyway), they're pretty much equally accurate. Stretch the range to over 100 yrds and the .22 will start to run out of puff quickly while the magnum can probably still be used effectively on small game out to 150.

I can't comment on pricing on the ammo over there but I'd imagine there'll be significant differences between long rifle and magnum ammunition prices. Just to throw in another option though, have you looked into the .17HMR??:cool:

bf109 10-12-2010 02:17 PM

.22 LR vs .17 HMR

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did some research and found that the cost of .17 HMR ammo is similar to the .22 WMR - both are about 3-4 times more expensive than the .22 LR. How does the .17 HMR shoot and compare with .22 WMR and .22 LR, respectively?

In addition, the .17 HMR CZ comes as a special Military Training rifle (still the 452 series) while the 452 Lux (with walnut stock) only comes with .22LR and .22 WMR.

Overkill0084 10-13-2010 08:36 PM

Unless there is an actual need for 22WMR, I would stick with .22 LR.
Keep an eye out for the old Kimber bolt action .22s. If you can find a deal on one, they are pretty darned good. They don't give up much to the Anshutz sporters for accuracy IMHO. The one I have was my Silhouette gun back in the early 80s. Easily a MOA gun with ammo it likes.

dteed4094 10-13-2010 08:52 PM

You can get an accurate 2LR without paying for the name of Browning, which is the least accurate 22 I own, or Weatherby. There is a lot of shooting enjoyment in a 22LR. Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, Stevens or any of the "lower end" Rifles.

Niteflyer 10-14-2010 07:57 PM

Hi, I have a .22 mag. Marlin that will shoot 1 in. groups all day with CCI ammo,the only brand I have tried, if I do my part. I've never ran a bore brush through this rifle only patches occasionally and I have had it for about 5 years and there has been a lot of ammo down it's bore. There are a lot of very good rifles out there but you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to find a rifle that will shoot well. Of course,with an economical rifle you won't get the fine wood and the beautifully finished metal....It's all in what you want I guess.

JTJ 10-14-2010 11:56 PM

If you are set on CZ, look at the 453 instead of the 452. You get a set trigger. The new Savage bolt guns with the accutrigger are unbelievable. The top line MK2 with target bbl and laminated stock is one of the most accurate rifles on the market. The 93 series is 17 HMR. My wife has a MK2 in 17M2 that I restocked for her. It came with a poor plastic stock and I put a Boyd Laminated wood stock on it. I cut the length by 1" and reshaped the coaming. Ammo is half the cost of the HMR and 22Mag ammo. 2100fps with the 17 gr vmax and not as destructive if you are a meat hunter.
I have a CZ 452 American in 22lr and it is a nice little rifle. It shoots better than I do anymore.

cpttango30 10-15-2010 03:19 AM

Anschutz 1451 classic

Or the Weatherby Mark XXII them right there just flat shoot and look great. Of course expect a $1k+ price tag on them.

bf109 10-15-2010 01:39 PM

CZ 453 vs 452 - Single Set Trigger?

Hi, thanks for your comments.

What's a SINGLE SET Trigger on CZ 453? How's it different from the one on CZ 452? Any advantages over the traditinonal trigger (poundage adj. on CZ 452)?

JTJ 10-15-2010 07:20 PM

The CZ center fires have set triggers. You can use them normaly but when you want a really light trigger, you push the trigger forward to set it. after it is set, do not touch it until you are ready to make the shot. I blew several rounds on my 223 because I touched the trigger too soon after it was set. The 452's trigger is OK but not great. There is some info on the net on how to tune them. Complaints led to the 453 with the set trigger.