Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 17 hmr stripped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 17 hmr stripped

Hey gun nuts,
My marlin xt-17 had the weaver rail mounts on it. We were having problems maxing out the scopes so we were moving the mounts left and right, and on the last one where the scope got on, my dad noticed that one screw stripped, so we took it off and there it was, the screw that went from the mount to the top of the action stripped, not just the screw, the female part too. i was wondering if there was any gun smiths out there if they could answer my question. what can i do to make it fine again?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You'd have to re tap the hole, but with you not already knowing that (it's pretty basic) I think you might want to consider taking it to someone to have it done.

FWIW, many places that sell guns will either do scope mounting, our have information on where to find a good smith.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #3

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

What Trip286 said. You're gonna have to retap the hole for a larger screw. Also you're gonna have to redrill and do a countersink to the base for the new screw's larger diameter shaft and head. This is the easiest way to do this without doing a welding of old hole and redrill and retap along with a spot blueing job(that will never match). If you don't have the proper tools(tap & die set, drill press, holding clamp system with padded jaws for rifle on drill press, proper drill bits, and assortment of rags, oils) I would get a professional gunsmith or machinist(someone with knowledge that this is a gun and knows how to take care) to do it for you.
Del

Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Brownell's makes a special .146-48 tap that is used for just this instance. No need to drill just tap new threads. You have to buy a screw to match the new threads. You can search the web for instructions on how to tap. Must strip down the gun first and keep the tap perpendicular to the gun. Gun steel is soft and taps easy many 22 receivers are only aluminum.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

I dont tap holes myself, but the only thing i was asking is if you could retap the hole. i already knew that it had to be retapped.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yes, that's what you gonna need.