Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 17 HMR owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a Simmons Prosport 3x9x40 on my Savage. It was on there when I got it. I always meant to change it but it works OK. It's zeroed at 100 yards. I have a couple 4x12 Bushnells that might be a little better on it with my eyes as they are these days.

I've used the V-Max and XTP rounds mostly. The latter moves a little slower (2375 fp/s) but the hollow point seems to knock things over a little better. There was a Winchester round that was supposed to be a good bit faster than the 2550 the Varmint Express with the V-Max slug but I never shot them. I actually get a little better accuracy with the slower of the rounds.

I pretty much just use mine anymore as a crow popper.Them and other critters that terrorize my garden. I've took it out for coyotes but I feel better with sometihng a little bigger. As stated you don't get the shot you want and you have a hurt animal running and you most often than not will not find it till it does sometime later if at all. THe problem is the round can be pushed around with the wind more than even a 22. So unless you can get pretty close or at the least can make sure your shot is going to put them down fast it doesn't make the best coyote gun for me. On most days I am pretty accurate with it so maybe it's more inmy head than anything but I like a little more when calling in coyotes.

Rabbits, raccoons, crows, squirrels, gophers,groundhogs though it's a really fun rifle to use.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I just busted a coon with my .17HMR a few nights ago. Made a nice mess and the body went over the fence