Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 17 HMR owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 17 HMR owners

I recently added a 17 HMR rifle to my rifle family. I added the Savage model 93R17 with the heavy button barrel. I zeroed the rifle at 50 yards, and am consistantly grouping in the dime size group. The rifle is most defintly a keeper. I am very happy with the trigger, and the overall workmanship of this lower cost rifle. So far I have only shot the Hornaday V max 17gr rounds thru the rifle, but I plan on trying others as soon as possible.

My questions for others who shoot this 17 HMR round are:
1. What have you found to be the best range to zero?
2. What game have you had sucsess taking with this round?
3. Would you hesitate at taking cyotes with this round?
4. What are your comments/ concerns of the 17 HMR?
Thanks in advance for your input!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have a CZ 452 Varmint and absolutely love it. The rifle is amazingly accurate even with a cheap Tasco 3-9 scope that I have on it. I sight this rifle in for 125 yards, that way I can still hit out to 200 with very little to no holdover. I have used the HMR on everything from starlings and crows to foxes and I've even taken one goat (from about 10 foot right behind the ear though! )

Don't quote me on the coyotes as we obviously don't have them over here but I'd be very hesitant on using the .17 on them. If you are really set on it and REALLY confident of the kill, try to get the 20 grain GamePoints from CCI. These are more like softpoint centrefire cartridges rather than the explosive varmint type bullets and are more solidly constructed for better penetration. That said, the 17gr hollowpoints do just fine on foxes with a headshot and are spectacular on bunnies and crows. I have found the GamePoint to perform better on foxes with chest shots though.

The only major concern with the .17 is to keep in mind that it is only a rimfire. Yes, they are a very good rimfire and you will have a lot of fun with it but you have to remember it's capabilities. You will definitely not be able to shoot through any type of brush or grass with it so make sure you have a clear shooting lane. You will also need to take extra precautions to place your shot correctly as the tiny bullet does not do much collateral damage! Personally I wouldn't try to take anything larger than a fox with it out past 125 yards, but with anything smaller, just see how far you can stretch it!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #3

1. I zero at 100 yards. You will still have dime groups
2. rabbits, racoons, crows, squirrels, gophers, prairie dogs, wood chuck
3. I would not hesitate to take a coyote standing still or very slowly walking out to 100 yards or so just because gun is so accurate
4. Hollow points dont load well into chamber

Overall a great gun. Mine is a definate go to gun when I really want to hit something. Fun to shoot for sure. I have a BSA sweet 17 scope on mine. Its not he best scope but it works.

Last edited by Hunt SD; 08-18-2010 at 02:43 AM.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

1. 100 yds. is the best for a zero. It's just as consistent in accuracy as 50 yds.
2. I've only hunted squirrels with mine, but as mentioned above, you can take all sorts of small game with it
3. Personally I would. I feel like It's really similar to the "would you shoot a deer with a .22" argument. So you gotta ask yourself... would you shoot a deer with a .22?
4. I love this gun to death. It's my first and still my favorite gun My only concern is that It's a VERY loud gun for a rimfire, so I'd use ear protection when at the range.

I shoot a Mossberg 817 with a 3-9x40 scope. As far as ammo goes I always use Winchester 17 gr. V-max.

What scope are you using or considering using?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Question 1: I started and 50yds then went to 100yds and use it for 100 or less.

Question 2: I've only used it for groundhogs.

Question 3: I would not use it for coyote (Savage 204)

Comments: It's a great gun and I have fun with it. I've found that Hornady is by far the best ammo for it but I gone to 20grhp and have better results on groundhogs. Just my opinions but you'll be glad you bought it.

You can't buy accuracy.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Off the record, I have seen many deer taken by head shots with a 22 caliber rifle over the years.
I have a simmons 4x on my 17 HMR now, but plan on upgrading to a 3x9x40 in the future.
I have a farm near where I live that is having cyot. problems, so I am going to give the 17 HMR a whirl at them out to maybe a hundred yds. Anything past that I'll take with my .308

Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #7

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

I have a Marlin 917V. I would not use it on coyotes! It is not fair to the animal if you miss your intended impact by an inch and they run, injured. Mine wears a 4-12x40mmAO, a bushnell w/ amberglow optics. It really helps in low light or if your target moves into the shadows.

Zeroed at 125 yards
Game: Woodchucks, Weasels, fox, squirrels
concerns: none when I use it for the game listed.

Mine has no issues feeding HP's( 20gr gamepoints)

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I have a Marlin 917V. I would not use it on coyotes! It is not fair to the animal if you miss your intended impact by an inch and they run, injured. Mine wears a 4-12x40mmAO, a bushnell w/ amberglow optics. It really helps in low light or if your target moves into the shadows.

Zeroed at 125 yards
Game: Woodchucks, Weasels, fox, squirrels
concerns: none when I use it for the game listed.

Mine has no issues feeding HP's( 20gr gamepoints)
+1 jp, well said. Certainly sounds like a handy scope...

Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #9

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I love my .17HMR I sighted it in for 100 yards and am very happy with it

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

MY Cooper 57 M LVT is sited in at 125 yards with the 17 V-Max bullet. I only hunt prairie dogs with the 17 HMR round. I could use a 17 Fireball for yote hunting but in the wide open pasture area I live in, the 220 Swift is the one I use most.